PROCROSS F/ZR 2012 + chassis

Reply
Old 01-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
forevergreen's Avatar
 
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SW Michigan
Thanks: 59
Thanked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Sled: '14 XF 9000 LTD, '13 F800 SP LTD
10-11 Mileage: 316
09-10 Mileage: 732
08-09 Mileage: 500
07-08 Mileage: 850
06-07 Mileage: 1100
ATV: 2001 400EX, 1988 250R
 Quote: Originally Posted by CSt6804 View Post
This just happened to me last week in -33F in St Zenon QC. Sled started fine then made a rattling noise shortly thereafter. Shut it off and that was it, locked motor. Dealer say's there is no fix other than to reinstall snap ring, oh and don't use electric start when it's that cold ???WTF??? Now before I hear a Nancy comment this sled is female owned and operated and she was dressed and ready to ride in -33F degree weather. The only thing the Canadiens were doing at that point was to start drinkin early. But when your saddlebaggin you gotta go. And besides, try and pull start a 800 in that weather when you only weigh 130 lbs. And why is she riding a 800 you ask? Cause turns out Artic Cat don't make a 600 2 stroke for 2013. What's up with that ? And she don't like the 4 strokes. So as you could imagine I'm not real impressed at this point, with a sled that showed a lot of promise when it came out.
It's the snap ring that holds the drive shaft in place, it's behind the bracket on the clutch side. And let me tell ya, it's a M#$^er to get at. Took me about 3 hours to tear it down and reassemble. And once it happens there is no pull starting it either cause it locks up the motor if the shaft slides out far enough, and it will at some point. I told my girl it's time to consider something else. But she just bought it and now we have to live with it for the next 3 or 4 years. And as for the ice buildup issue in the tunnel, maybe that's fixed, she had no real issues other than noise. But overheating was an issue though, finding loose snow that wasn't frozen into a glacier was a problem. Again it's the "conditions" I know, but the trusty e-tec had no problems with plenty of snow in the tunnel. Another poor excuse if you ask me. A sled that don't like cold weather is a problem as far as I'm concerned, duh !! It's a good thing I carry alot of tools in the truck and this happened at the hotel, cause we would have been towing along way and cancelling a vacation otherwise. Dealer was too busy to fix it for us, probably alot of broken starters in that day I'm thinkin. So you gotta do what you gotta doo.
Why didn't you step up and pull start it for her? Seems that a little lady wouldn't have any trouble finding a man to pull that big twin over no matter what the temp. I get what you're getting at though. The thing that I find most amusing is that Cat didn't put e-start on the 2012s b/c it wasn't reliable enough. Seems like they still have some work to do.

I was planning on pull starting my sled most of the time anyways, but now that I know that you can't start it at all if the starter comes apart, I will pull start it all the time. Thanks for the heads up.
forevergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
orangeprocross800's Avatar
 
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montague michigan
Thanks: 10
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Sled: XF 8000. 137
06-07 Mileage: 3000
My sled finally had a trip where I was never under the hood. East Jordan has great trails and plenty of snow. I believe this was first trip the hood off.250 miles on current belt. That's a record too. Maybe it's fixed. Forevergreen have you ridden yet? My sled starts better with the smaller diameter rope I put on it after last trip.
__________________
[SIGPIC]
orangeprocross800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
forevergreen's Avatar
 
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SW Michigan
Thanks: 59
Thanked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Sled: '14 XF 9000 LTD, '13 F800 SP LTD
10-11 Mileage: 316
09-10 Mileage: 732
08-09 Mileage: 500
07-08 Mileage: 850
06-07 Mileage: 1100
ATV: 2001 400EX, 1988 250R
 Quote: Originally Posted by orangeprocross800 View Post
My sled finally had a trip where I was never under the hood. East Jordan has great trails and plenty of snow. I believe this was first trip the hood off.250 miles on current belt. That's a record too. Maybe it's fixed. Forevergreen have you ridden yet? My sled starts better with the smaller diameter rope I put on it after last trip.
Nope.
forevergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: rochester, ny
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sled: 2012 TNT 600 E-tec, 2013 F800
10-11 Mileage: 1936
09-10 Mileage: 1504
08-09 Mileage: 2871
07-08 Mileage: 3800
06-07 Mileage: 4500
 Quote: Originally Posted by forevergreen View Post
Why didn't you step up and pull start it for her? Seems that a little lady wouldn't have any trouble finding a man to pull that big twin over no matter what the temp. I get what you're getting at though. The thing that I find most amusing is that Cat didn't put e-start on the 2012s b/c it wasn't reliable enough. Seems like they still have some work to do.

I was planning on pull starting my sled most of the time anyways, but now that I know that you can't start it at all if the starter comes apart, I will pull start it all the time. Thanks for the heads up.
I did pull start the sled the rest of the week, and I will continue to pull start it as long as we own it. Couldn't pull start it at the time though cause when the drive comes out and stays engaged it locks the motor up. So you have to fix it first. Dealer said there is no update or recall, so we gotta live with it for the time being until there is one or I come with a way to keep that snap ring on. But paying for an option that's unusable kinda sucks. Broken starter/locked motor in the woods sucks worse. Towing AC home behind SD is kinda priceless though. Makes for good conversation on the drive home
CSt6804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
forevergreen's Avatar
 
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SW Michigan
Thanks: 59
Thanked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Sled: '14 XF 9000 LTD, '13 F800 SP LTD
10-11 Mileage: 316
09-10 Mileage: 732
08-09 Mileage: 500
07-08 Mileage: 850
06-07 Mileage: 1100
ATV: 2001 400EX, 1988 250R
Yeah I bet. But I've had many a Doo hooked to the back of the Cats. Those early etecs had some major engine problems and those took longer to fix than that starter did. Never had a Yammy hooked behind me, but none of the guys we run with has ever owned one either. LMAO
forevergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
BL'sF7's Avatar
 
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: ontario
Thanks: 105
Thanked 55 Times in 52 Posts
Sled: 2013 800 RR 2006 F6R da wifes
07-08 Mileage: 2400
 Quote: Originally Posted by CSt6804 View Post
This just happened to me last week in -33F in St Zenon QC. Sled started fine then made a rattling noise shortly thereafter. Shut it off and that was it, locked motor. Dealer say's there is no fix other than to reinstall snap ring, oh and don't use electric start when it's that cold ???WTF??? Now before I hear a Nancy comment this sled is female owned and operated and she was dressed and ready to ride in -33F degree weather. The only thing the Canadiens were doing at that point was to start drinkin early. But when your saddlebaggin you gotta go. And besides, try and pull start a 800 in that weather when you only weigh 130 lbs. And why is she riding a 800 you ask? Cause turns out Artic Cat don't make a 600 2 stroke for 2013. What's up with that ? And she don't like the 4 strokes. So as you could imagine I'm not real impressed at this point, with a sled that showed a lot of promise when it came out.
It's the snap ring that holds the drive shaft in place, it's behind the bracket on the clutch side. And let me tell ya, it's a M#$^er to get at. Took me about 3 hours to tear it down and reassemble. And once it happens there is no pull starting it either cause it locks up the motor if the shaft slides out far enough, and it will at some point. I told my girl it's time to consider something else. But she just bought it and now we have to live with it for the next 3 or 4 years. And as for the ice buildup issue in the tunnel, maybe that's fixed, she had no real issues other than noise. But overheating was an issue though, finding loose snow that wasn't frozen into a glacier was a problem. Again it's the "conditions" I know, but the trusty e-tec had no problems with plenty of snow in the tunnel. Another poor excuse if you ask me. A sled that don't like cold weather is a problem as far as I'm concerned, duh !! It's a good thing I carry alot of tools in the truck and this happened at the hotel, cause we would have been towing along way and cancelling a vacation otherwise. Dealer was too busy to fix it for us, probably alot of broken starters in that day I'm thinkin. So you gotta do what you gotta doo.
You are a Nancy lmao! I real man (Canadian) would of went out in his pjz and started his womans sled for her and would have known better than to use the e-start. Then yes he would have probably had a beer while she was getting dressed up and ready!! It takes at least 20-30mins to warm up a 2 stroke in -33 F... maybe 2 beer and a shag!!
BL'sF7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » Arctic Cat Snowmobiles » PROCROSS F/ZR


Search tags for this page
2013 arctic cat 800 starter problems
,
2013 arctic cat electric start problems
,
2013 arctic cat snow mobiels problems
,
2013 arctic cat starter problems
,
2014 arctic cat 800 electric start stopped working
,
arctic cat f800 starting problems
,

arctic cat snowmobile starter problems

,
arctic cat snowmobile starter ring and pinion wear
,

arctic cat starter problems

,
electric start
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 Procross F800 Starting Problems bmw_bound PROCROSS F/ZR 8 03-07-2012 02:17 PM
starter problems southsidekat Utility Performance / Technical info 6 07-27-2011 08:42 AM
starter problems sobno1 Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting 2 06-10-2011 05:07 PM
Starter problems dirt diggler General ATV Discussion 5 06-11-2008 12:59 PM
F1000, F800 motors and problems (solution..?) 03'patriot F Chassis ('07-???) 56 03-24-2007 07:45 PM


Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.