Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

tunnel rivets coming loose on 2013 M 1100 PRO 162

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  1FatKat 
#1 ·
hello all .im posting for a buddy and he is having grief in that his tunnel rivets are coming loose right at the back of the tunnel where the extension is factory rivetted on.He has had it to the dealer and it is still there but they say cat will not warranty this issue! just wondering if any body has had grief like this ? thanks

#5 ·
Yeah. Rivets are not expensive. You'll have to remove the hood/plastic and take the tank off. Drill the rivets out and put new ones in. They're aluminum and they drill right out.
If you want rivet drama, try drilling out all the steel suckers when installing airframe running boards. Holy sh*t.

#4 · (Edited)
Have had vibration (45-55 mph is worst) in my m8000 sp 153" from day one. Checked everything from drive and idler bearings, belts, rail tips(installed anti stabs), clutches. Finally seeing wear in track paddles from rivets! (The rivets across rear of main tunnel connecting it to tunnel "tail"). Checked tension, at 2" with 15#(fish scale). Alignment good on rear idlers. Skid in lower holes in front, center holes in rear. Have not moved holes or needed to tighten track since new. 2700 miles. Not sure if yours did this, but curious if anyone else' has.

#6 ·
Hey PKlein. Did you ever figure out your vibration issue on your sled. I have the same issue on my M8000 as well. I can't seem to pin point what it is. Foot boards vibrate up into the handle bars. I had time this summer to pull my chain case and jack shaft apart. I found when I got into my chain case that the auto tensioner was not working properly and would not adjust itself. There was a lot of play in the chain like it had no tensioner at all. I have since put in a manual tensioner from OSP racing and installed the 2015 jack shaft. There is a fare bit of difference between shafts. I am just waiting for snow and cross my fingers this was my vibration issue.

#7 ·
Hey PKlein. Did you ever figure out your vibration issue on your sled. I have the same issue on my M8000 as well. I can't seem to pin point what it is. Foot boards vibrate up into the handle bars. I had time this summer to pull my chain case and jack shaft apart. I found when I got into my chain case that the auto tensioner was not working properly and would not adjust itself. There was a lot of play in the chain like it had no tensioner at all. I have since put in a manual tensioner from OSP racing and installed the 2015 jack shaft. There is a fare bit of difference between shafts. I am just waiting for snow and cross my fingers this was my vibration issue.
What's your opinion on that item^^^

#8 ·
The OSP tensioner seems to be a decent product. simple install for sure. I like it because it has the roller bearing style wheel on it instead of the hardened pad like most have. The arm that slides onto the chain case post inside is a solid sleeve instead of two thin arms that cause wear from the stock ones. More surface area on the aluminium post. They state life time warranty. So we will see. The shaft may or may not needed to be swapped out, but I have read and heard guys that have done these two upgrades and have eliminated there vibration issues. A good Cat mechanic also told me to get rid of the auto adjuster. They have seen more then there share of failures with them.

#10 ·
FatKat, thanks for the opinion.
I ordered one based on that, and I also checked out some of the other products out there. The OSP product looks a lot better.
I also ordered one of their jackshafts because you kinda got me thinking. I have the time and means to do it so I might as well.

Sorry for hijacking, OP. Hope you get your rivet problem sorted out.

#11 ·
What would cause rivets to come loose like this ? Vibration ? There are a lot of rivets in there. And for the track to make contact on the paddles on the rivets would be concerning to me. Must be a lot of ballooning up inside from the track to make contact not? I wouldn't think this could happen, but possible.

#12 ·
Yeah, the track paddles contacting the rivets is a problem. I run a 3" track and it doesn't hit the rivets.
I've seen one guy, quite some time ago, whose track was chewed to h*ll and you could hear the paddles rubbing the top of the tunnel everywhere he went. He probably weighed more than his snowmobile, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.