How To: Diff Seal Replacement - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum
Pinned Topics This section contains important ATV FAQs, Recalls, How-Tos, Installation Guides and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 Old 11-25-2008, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

ATV: 03 500i
Thought I would put this together for you guys. I had a couple emails asking me about it, so I had some leaking, and thought i'd run with it.
I must say, that I am NOT a certified mechanic. Some of this may or may not be good practice, and if anyone has a better way or safer way of doing this, please feel free to add to it.

Time frame: 1.5 hours

Sooo, here we go

Assuming you have the quad, lifted,stabilized,Diff fluid drained, wheels removed,upper and lower A arm bolts removed, and the A arms taken off.You dont have to remove the axle from the knuckle,hub, etc..

Grab the axle with a good strong hand, and pull!

Now you see the seal.
I use a thin flat head screw driver, and tap it in gently, between the seal, and housing.( Where aluminum meets rubber) This will distort the seal,and you will be able to pry it out enough to pull it out with your fingers. PLEASE be careful, as you can damage the housing. It can take some pretty good knocks, but just let the flat head do its thing. You may have to pick a couple spots and do it.

Once the seal is removed, Clean and inspect the housing

Here is the Old seal and new updated seal.

Now, use some quality marine grease,red and tacky, or some other realy good synthetic grease, and grease the housing, where the new seal will go, and al the outer part of the new seal.

Next, set the new seal in place, as fluch as possible. It will not go all the way in by hand, but getting started in there straight will save you a lot of cussing later.
Then, I use a small flat punch, and I patiently tap around the outer edge of the seal at opposite ends, so it stays straight going in. When its completely seated, the outside rubber edge of the seal will be flush with the aluminum housing.

Now with the new seal in, its time to grease it up!

And your done!

Well, you have to re-install your suspension, axle etc.. Just reverse your steps!

Any questions just ask!

NEVER buy from BABBITSONLINE!!!

<div align="center">"The Old Skewl Tank" 03 500M,Diff Locker, Gear Reduction, EPI Kit, DJ Kit, 29.5 Laws,
C-Series Wheels, K&N W/ Pre-Filter, Snorkled,Rad Relocated, Warn 2.5 c.i W/ Rope
</div>
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CatKraz For This Useful Post:
chocolatepaper (05-31-2014), richxyz (09-04-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 11-25-2008, 08:39 PM

ATV: '08 Arctic Cat 700 H1
good write up! i packed the entire space between the seal & housing (not the gears) w/red n' tacky.

[b][i]MUDTECH INC.
B & J FABRICATION
HIGHLIFTER
///AIRDAM
GORILLA
NOLOGY
POWERSHOP CENTRAL
POWERMADD
WARN
O.D.I.
NGK
ITP
DDM TUNING
EPI

RIVER RAT ATV
DICK&#39;S POWERSPORTS
ATV ZONE
STEEL HORSES

post #3 of 43 Old 11-25-2008, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dreggsta @ Nov 25 2008, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
good write up! i packed the entire space between the seal & housing (not the gears) w/red n' tacky.[/b]
Thanks man
Yup. I forgot to mention that. I did not do it to these. Reason being, I want to see if they will hold up with out it, and not leak.

<div align="center">"The Old Skewl Tank" 03 500M,Diff Locker, Gear Reduction, EPI Kit, DJ Kit, 29.5 Laws,
C-Series Wheels, K&N W/ Pre-Filter, Snorkled,Rad Relocated, Warn 2.5 c.i W/ Rope
</div>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 Old 11-26-2008, 12:09 AM
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat
ATV: 2007 650H1 TRV
2007 Mileage:
THANKS!!!
Getting ready to change my rear ones...

Question?? What is Red & Tacky

Was never into boat stuff....

</a>
post #5 of 43 Old 11-26-2008, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Its a grease. Autozone, Oreily's etc has it. Any good marine, or synthetic will do

</div>
post #6 of 43 Old 11-26-2008, 12:48 AM
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat
2007 Mileage:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CatKraz @ Nov 25 2008, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Its a grease. Autozone, Oreily's etc has it. Any good marine, or synthetic will do[/b]
Thanks

I'm also working on my own style axle removal tool, will post when finish. I could not pull out the axle by hand when I had to change a boot.

</a>
post #7 of 43 Old 11-26-2008, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bayoucats @ Nov 25 2008, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CatKraz @ Nov 25 2008, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quote:
Its a grease. Autozone, Oreily's etc has it. Any good marine, or synthetic will do[/b]
Thanks

I'm also working on my own style axle removal tool, will post when finish. I could not pull out the axle by hand when I had to change a boot.
[/b][/quote]

Some are tuff!! but they will come out, just have to put one leg up on the frame for leverage, and yank!
unless you have gorilla's!

Dont forget to push in on the axles. This will make the race and cage inside the cv joint slide inward and to the back of the cup. It will then act as a slide hammer, when puuling on it.

Thats cool about the cup puller bayou! let us know!

</div>
post #8 of 43 Old 11-26-2008, 04:42 PM

ATV: '07 AC 500
2008 Mileage: 500
2007 Mileage: 200
I would suggest just using a hammer to pry the old seal out. Just barely put the claw part on the inside of the seal and pry back like you were pulling a nail. It comes right out and you don't have to worry about scoring the housing. It has worked for me several times. By the way, I haven't found red & tacky at Autozone. I must be looking in the wrong place

'07 AC 500 Auto
2500# Warn Winch
Front Brush Guard
Rear Bumper
Snorkels
Carb Slide Mod
Exhaust Mod
Clutch Mods
29.5x10x12 & 29.5x12x12 Outlaws
MSA Torks
Racked Radiator
4.0's
post #9 of 43 Old 11-26-2008, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (truponycar @ Nov 26 2008, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
I would suggest just using a hammer to pry the old seal out. Just barely put the claw part on the inside of the seal and pry back like you were pulling a nail. It comes right out and you don't have to worry about scoring the housing. It has worked for me several times. By the way, I haven't found red & tacky at Autozone. I must be looking in the wrong place [/b]

Go to O'reilys they'll have it.

I've thought about using the hammer, but worried Ill bend the lip on the housing, Guess not. Thanks for the tip!

</div>
post #10 of 43 Old 12-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat
2007 Mileage:
Thanks Again!!!!

Just Finish what a help....

</a>
The Following User Says Thank You to bayoucats For This Useful Post:
richxyz (09-04-2013)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum > ATV's > General ATV Discussion > Pinned Topics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode