Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ripley, New York
Thanked 655 Times in 632 Posts
Sled: 2000 thundercat 1996 ZRT 800 AGLT/136"
10-11 Mileage: 1249
09-10 Mileage: 1200
07-08 Mileage: 650 - 2 thaws
06-07 Mileage: 1100
ATV: Arctic Cat 500/ SuzukiQuadzilla 500-sold
I had found out that these skids have had issues in the past with the front arm breaking so I welded some gussets in place. Hard to see in the pic but they are there on both sides. Top side is fully welded and the bottom spot welded. I didn't want too much heat in this area and weaken it.
I had some 1" diameter solid rod cut down to 1/2" thick and drilled a hole for the bolts for spacers and added them to the sides. The Crossfire skid is 1" narrower than the older ZRT skids. I also used grade 8 bolts and new nylon lock nuts.
For the back of the skid, without getting crazy and removing the rear bracket and drilling and putting a new one in and making a mess on the tunnel, I decided to make an adapting bracket 7" x 1 1/2" x 1/2" out of aluminum flat stock and drilled the holes that the current mount had and adapt the new brace to it with 2 grade 5 bolts. I then measured and drilled the rear hole 31" from the front existing hole from the upgraded newer torque link skid mounting holes. I never touched the holes for those, just installed it there. I did check and coincidentally it lined right up perfectly.
EDIT: I had problems with the studs just kissing the rear heat exchanger so I had to move the rear mount hole below the boards. You can see in the pic. its almost inline with the other 2 bracket holes. Its not quite even with the other holes but if they were that wouldn't hurt either. I then raised the sled's front end by increasing spring pre load on the front shocks. All seems well. I will run some more and give a ride review. I also added 6 3/8" wheels to the top right next to the torque link in pic 4. This will keep the track from rubbing the top of the aluminum link and the link from putting a mark all the way around the track. Why Cat never put a taller wheel in those Crossfires I will never know. I used some off an old skid. If you want new, the part number is #1604-685.
One thing I did do was to take out (all) the suspension springs. I then reinstalled the shock and skid back in and collapsed the suspension till the front and back were bottomed out so I was sure there would be nothing hitting or rubbing in the tunnel. This is how I achieved the proper hole height on the front and back suspension/tunnel holes. The front has 1/2" clearance with this track/stud combination in the old front holes and the rear has approx. 3" with the rear angled upward slightly. ---- Keep in mind that I used the front holes for the upgraded torque link skid and these holes are the ones I used. Not the original front holes for the 96 non torque link skid.
Last edited by tcat446; 02-02-2013 at 03:50 PM.