Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

ETT/TSL suspension swap in a ZR/ZRT

392K views 273 replies 115 participants last post by  yooper88wildcat 
#1 ·
For anyone interested in doing this swap I've complied a list of pictures and a MS Word Document with instructions. When I did the swap I couldn't find pics to go along with the instructions so I took my own. If you have any questions feel free to PM me and I will do my best to help you out.

Stock front mounting plate; nothing done yet.

[attachment=81678:Suspension_Upgrade.doc]

[attachment=88011:100_0947.JPG]

Attachments

See less See more
#244 ·
I know it was forever ago that you performed this seap, but I have a 93 EXT Mountain Cat 550 and a 2008 Crossfire 136 Skif that I want to swap in,

Problem seems to be is that Some pictures seem to have disappeared from your stickie showing the new plate and where you mounted the front arm on the sled you swapped into...

If you can could you please inform me on the Measurements you used and possibly a pic of where you drilled and mounted!!

Thanks so much!!!
Cheers

#10 ·
I had a question on the mounting holes... When you get ready to put the skid in do you have the skid relaxed on the floor and take your bolt-to-bolt measurement and use that to get your measurements on the sled tunnel? also how do you know where to place the TSL in the correct position?

#11 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Panther500F @ Jan 15 2007, 01:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I had a question on the mounting holes... When you get ready to put the skid in do you have the skid relaxed on the floor and take your bolt-to-bolt measurement and use that to get your measurements on the sled tunnel? also how do you know where to place the TSL in the correct position?[/b]
No, that won't work. You need the bolt to bolt measurement from the holes on the doner sled or at least a sled similar to it.

#13 ·
I just transplanted a ZR skid in a Cougar and used the 23 3/4" measurement that Scooter mentioned. Did a bunch of math and layed it out inside the tunnel before drilling and it worked great. BTW the skid I used was from a 98 ZR600. Not saying it is the right measurement for you to use but it worked in the Cougar I have. If you have a ZR6 to measure I would use that first.

#14 ·
I would like some clarification on this. Is 97 the first year of the ETT and TSL. I know that in 2000 they changed the design of the rails to make them stronger. Would I get the same ride from a 97-99 compared to 2000-present other than they aren't as strong?!?! Is there the same amount of travel from one era to the other. Does anyone have any thoughts on which is ultimately better.

#15 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (76CrossCountryCat @ Feb 8 2007, 06:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I would like some clarification on this. Is 97 the first year of the ETT and TSL. I know that in 2000 they changed the design of the rails to make them stronger. Would I get the same ride from a 97-99 compared to 2000-present other than they aren't as strong?!?! Is there the same amount of travel from one era to the other. Does anyone have any thoughts on which is ultimately better.[/b]
The actual travel didn't change between those model year skids. As far as what ones are better, I would say that the 2000+ year ones would be better due to the durability being better.

#22 ·
I'm concidering buying a 2001 ZR800 rear suspension to replace the orginal suspension on my 1996 ZRT600.
I would like some feedback on this subject as to if it is possible.
If so, how to go about installing the updated suspension.
Will it work with my orginal track which is a 121?

If I follow your instructions, should this suspension mount in my chassis?
I would like to know if his measurements on the mounting holes are from center to center.

#23 ·
I wrote these instructions about seven years ago and they are specific for putting any '97 or newer ZR or ZRT/TSL rear suspension in a '95 or '96 ZR or ZRT chassis. The ZL TSL suspensions although similar, I don't believe are the same. You could use the instructions as a guide but the dimensions must be taken from the ZL chassis. Measure from the driveshaft to the front mounting hole and then from the front to the rear mounting holes. The instructions may work for the older chassis, but I am not sure as I have not used them on anything but '95 or '96's. Check the driveshaft to front suspension mounting hole from the donor sled or any '97 or newer ZR/ZR to make sure it is the same as the instructions. The location in the instructions comes from the existing front mounting hole, not the driveshaft.

#25 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OUtdoorsman @ Jul 16 2007, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hi, I have a '93 580Z EXT and i was wondering if anyone with the same sled (or close to the same) did this to their sled. I am considering doing this, but i don't know what the new measurements would be. Any help would be appreciated.[/b]
I think KevinS did this to a 580. Try and send him a PM. I'm sure I saw his pictures.

#26 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OUtdoorsman @ Jul 16 2007, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hi, I have a '93 580Z EXT and i was wondering if anyone with the same sled (or close to the same) did this to their sled. I am considering doing this, but i don't know what the new measurements would be. Any help would be appreciated.[/b]
I'm sure there are others who have done this on 93's, but you may have to figure it out yourself. You will want to measure the donor sled to get the relationship of the front mounting point to the driveshaft. You will also measure the donor sled to get the C-C distance from the front mount to the rear mount, because you cannot measure the skid frame when it is out of the sled. Like I said before, the addition of a TSL skid frame into these older sleds is a fantastic upgrade. I had to figure mine out on my own, but it is by far the best money I spent on my sled. You've got all summer, so don't give up on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.