Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Upper Red Lake Area - Kelliher, Minnesota
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ATV: 2002 Yamaha Grizzly 660
MN/ND Mud Racing Series... lets get this ball rolling!
So... we have had a few discussions on here so far in a couple different threads about trying to put together a Mud Racing Series up here in Northern Minnesota and North Dakota. Rather than try and make this work in several different threads, I decided to make a thread where we can get all of our planning/ideas in one place. Feel free to add to it at any point, and maybe, with some hard work we can have something in place for next summer!
I'd like to start out by trying to get some main points down just for a place to start. There are a few things that I think should sort of go without saying, so that's why I'll say them here:
- It would be nice to set the number of races somewhere between five and ten. With families, jobs, vacation plans, etc., it would be difficult to do much more than that in the five full months of decent weather up here. If we take a look at the numbers as is - and we also assume that some of the events we ran in this year will be back again next year - there are four events already set up: Waskish, Northome, Grafton, and Ada. Two more events could be added with not much problem, one in May and one in September. More races could be scheduled without too much trouble.
- A standardized points/rules system could be put in place. That way, racers would know that they were racing under the same rules at each event. It would be nice to try and set something up so that there was incentive to try and race each event - otherwise, all we'd have is a collection of events just like right now. It would be possible to come up with a points system that would reward you for making as many events as possible, yet still allow you to miss one or two if other things get in the way. I know that the PGA Tour uses a system like that to determine their FedEx Cup standings. Not all the golfers make it to every event, yet they are still ranked and collect points towards the season championship. Plus, there's a 100% chance that not everyone who shows up at an event will be at the next event. There's no good reason to punish them, but there's also no good reason to punish the ones who DO show up at all the events.
- Every good series has a name. What could this be called? Toss up a few suggestions.
- Our two events - Big Bog Festival Mud Races, and the Kooch County Fair Mud Races - benefit other organizations. Is that going to cause conflict?
- What other events are there that could be asked "in" to the series? It'd be nice to get a few more between, say, East to Grand Rapids, MN and West to Devil's Lake, ND, North to the Canadian border (or more?) and South to Wahpeton, ND? ArcticCat21 and I have spent a LOT of time searching the net for events and have only come up with a few. Any of you ND guys know of any events out that way other than Grafton? And would it be worth talking to some local ATV club to see if THEY want to put one on?
- Would there be a payout, or trophies?
Anyways, those are a few small things to think about. It'd be nice to have something in place by early April so the word could get out and plans could be made.
2002 RED Yamaha Grizzly 660, Wiseco 11:1 High Comp Piston, HotCams Stage One Raptor Cam, 28" 'Backs, Fully Snorkeled, Rad Relocated