Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

2001 Mountain Cat 600 efi squeal and no power

3K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  diggerdown 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! first post here...alright story is i bought a 2001 mountain cat 600 efi from a buddy blown up. i am not a newb to snowmobiles and engines in general as i have been a busy small engine mechanic by word of mouth for a few years now..i ended up putting a brand new crankshaft and crankcase in as the bearing went out on the connecting rod in the crank and cracked the case. Brand new wiseco pistons and the works all around. i pulled the motor out of the sled leaving the motor mounts in exactly as they were. after i installed the motor it fired right up and idled like a champ but there were 2 issues i noticed. First off is an extremely loud squeal coming from the clutch side which im not sure what that is..any ideas would be awesome and secondly im not getting top end as i dont have a manual for the sled and dont know what to set the apv cables at..any help would be much appreciated!!:wacko:

#2 ·
BSKOOG I had this issue with the squeal on two sleds and it ended up being the belt rubbing on my primary clutch on both due to new belts. They eventually stopped. Might check that. Also i am having the same issue with the exact same sled on the top end. Removed engine just like you did and rebuilt the top end and now burning belt before take off like a lack of power. Did all i can with clutches like new spring and cleaned. Noticed my plugs are really wet and pistons as well even after couple hundred miles like its running crazy rich. So i might fallow your thread and keep you posted on what i find out on mine as well.

#3 ·
PowderExtreme I did end up finding out the problem on my top end..my power valve cables were not at the right length so the valves werent being opened all the way...the way i tested this is i adjusted the cables out most of the way so i know that the valves will be completely open...it was the issue with mine. Although i do have great top end now, i have poor bottom end and would really appreciate it if someone would be able to find the cable measurements for this sled...as for the squeal it is a fairly new belt with maybe half an hour of riding on it when my buddy blew it up. hope thats it...anyways is there a chance my clutches could be misaligned..?

#4 ·
Im not too sure on the alignment. Other guys here would have to chime in on that. I found out my power valve servo is no good and held my valves open by hand and still have a high end burble. At this point i have tried everything from clutching to the tps sensor and belt alignment track tention. Only thing i havent done is fuel pressure and kill switch delete. Im ready to pull my hair out lol. Sell it and go back to carbs haha.

#5 ·
lol..carbs are nice for maintenance but efi kicks butt. so is your burble sound like its running really rich or smooth? maybe test your stator and other electrical gimmicks..try throwing new spark plugs in there too as these sleds are from the factory running pretty rich in general..im pretty lost on that one then if your power valves are clean and open..

#6 ·
The sound of the burble is like a mod sled running on cheap gas! The valves are oily but not sticky at all. As for the spark plugs they are new. Weird thing is is this sled has around 300 miles on the new top end and the pistons are really wet and no carbon build up like you should see for normal piston wash. There is no carbon at all so is it running crazy rich lol i dono. How do you check the stator im not good with electronics.

#7 · (Edited)
yeah cheap gas is always a killer! i know there is a fuel flow regulator out there that allows you to set your fuel flow to where your sled runs best but someone else would need to find a link to one..and as for checking the stator there is some really good threads on here about that..i cant say i have ever had to do it so im just as clueless as you are i guess..lol..and also before you get too carried away i would look over all your wires and make sure they are properly grounded and there are no worn through spots or broken wires

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.