New wear strips - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 11-27-2010, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Member
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Prince George, BC, Canada
Posts: 49
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sled: 2006 M7
06-07 Mileage: 742 total 1300
ATV: none
2007 Mileage: none
2006 Mileage: none
New wear strips

Hey guys who here checks their wear strips? i didnt check mine last season until near the end to find them wore right thru to the skid!! i hit an engine block that was frozen in about 4 feet of snow. well i replaced them and im very happy with going to green from the stock black. also put some screen inserts on the front of the hood to keep the snow from packing into the engine compartment around my timbersled intake have to set up the power valves and put on running board mods and shes mountain worthy again!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sledrepairs 005.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	433.0 KB
ID:	197198   Click image for larger version

Name:	sledrepairs 010.jpg
Views:	896
Size:	460.7 KB
ID:	197200   Click image for larger version

Name:	sledrepairs 016.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	514.6 KB
ID:	197201  
NorthernR/T is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 11-27-2010, 10:10 PM
Senior Member
 
109jb's Avatar
 
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Morris, IL
Posts: 4,416
Thanks: 0
Thanked 413 Times in 389 Posts
Garage
Sled: 02 M-Cat 800, 99 Jag 440, 96 Panther 440
ATV: none
109jb is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 11-27-2010, 11:27 PM
Senior Member
 
groulxs's Avatar
 
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cobden
Posts: 193
Thanks: 4
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Sled: 06z570,04F6,96zr440
Basic snowmobile maintenance. The green hyfax tend to fade overtime. Black stays black. For what hyfax are worth, change 'em once a year. You don't even have to remove the skid to do it. SnowTech mag just had a quick write up about doing it in a snap if your sled has reverse. Unbolt the hyfax (front) tap it so that it partially sticks out through the track window, and very gently/slowly run the track in reverse. The hyfax should come right out. They don't mention anything about getting the hyfax out of the tunnel, but that should not be that big of a deal. Just throwing that out there.
Not having reverse on any of my sleds, I'm still tapping them out. I also take the skid out, since the is no better way to fine-comb the rear suspension then to have it on the bench. Also makes it much easier to change parts and grease it. After taking a skid out and putting it back in a few times, you pick up on some tricks that make the job quite easy.


#47
groulxs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 Old 11-29-2010, 01:56 PM
Team ArcticChat
 
kalebtimberlake's Avatar
Team ArcticChat
 
Team ArcticChat
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Dumont, CO
Posts: 2,954
Thanks: 385
Thanked 294 Times in 264 Posts
Sled: 11 cf8le-T, 2012 m800
07-08 Mileage: 3500
06-07 Mileage: 2800
ATV: my KAYAK
Quote:
Originally Posted by groulxs View Post
Basic snowmobile maintenance. The green hyfax tend to fade overtime. Black stays black. For what hyfax are worth, change 'em once a year. You don't even have to remove the skid to do it. SnowTech mag just had a quick write up about doing it in a snap if your sled has reverse. Unbolt the hyfax (front) tap it so that it partially sticks out through the track window, and very gently/slowly run the track in reverse. The hyfax should come right out. They don't mention anything about getting the hyfax out of the tunnel, but that should not be that big of a deal. Just throwing that out there.
Not having reverse on any of my sleds, I'm still tapping them out. I also take the skid out, since the is no better way to fine-comb the rear suspension then to have it on the bench. Also makes it much easier to change parts and grease it. After taking a skid out and putting it back in a few times, you pick up on some tricks that make the job quite easy.


#47
Can you explain further? I can't understand how this would work.
Running the track in reverse with the hyfax sticking out would just bind on the hyfax, no? Or does it just YANK the hyfax off the rails?
I get it to the point where it's sticking about 3" past the track & drill a hole in it, then shove a screwdriver through it & yank. I don't loosen the track at all usually. When I put new hyfax in I toss a few pumps of grease in it before sliding on... comes right off next time!

2011 CF8 LE 141 Cutler stage II race gas turbo, powerclaw track, BD-X oil delete, Koso egt, Bparks light weight bushings, BD-X inner wheel kit, BD-X 2 wheel, BD-X anti-stab, BD-X 40" A arms with 19" floats
Wildchild T top post with 4-6" Rox adj riser, protaper bars, cycra handguards, pro design tether.
BR-tech Thrasher hood and venting.

And a throttle that points the RIGHT way, FORWARD!!!!

250++hp...and still quieter than a sled with a can!

2012 proclimb M800 snopro, BDX oil delete, CE 2.5 track, 38" arms, wildchild post mod, pro design tether, and a hot dogger (and of course, a forward throttle...)

PM me if you're looking for lightweight or diamond drive parts, I can get you discount pricing on BDX parts.
kalebtimberlake is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 11-29-2010, 03:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: newfoundland
Posts: 111
Thanks: 5
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Sled: 09 M8 153" Sno Pro
08-09 Mileage: 3000 kms
ATV: 2003 honda fortrax 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalebtimberlake View Post
Can you explain further? I can't understand how this would work.
Running the track in reverse with the hyfax sticking out would just bind on the hyfax, no? Or does it just YANK the hyfax off the rails?
I get it to the point where it's sticking about 3" past the track & drill a hole in it, then shove a screwdriver through it & yank. I don't loosen the track at all usually. When I put new hyfax in I toss a few pumps of grease in it before sliding on... comes right off next time!
i was going to ask the same question but i thought he was being sarcastic! i hope he never heard of doing this from someone and haven't tried it himself yet....
troy burt is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 11-29-2010, 06:38 PM
Team ArcticChat
 
dogthehunter's Avatar
Team ArcticChat
 
Team ArcticChat
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The UP
Posts: 4,625
Thanks: 74
Thanked 110 Times in 99 Posts
Garage
Sled: 2012 XF800SP Orange and XF1100TSP
10-11 Mileage: 2547
09-10 Mileage: 1500 or so
08-09 Mileage: 4000ish
ATV: 09 H1 700 EFI
2010 Mileage: 1000
2009 Mileage: around 1400
I think I heard that somewhere about using the track to remove the hyfax. I wouldn't do it that way myself, I usually just give it a few taps to get it sticking out past the end of the track and grab hold with a pair of vise grips and pull it right off. Dog
dogthehunter is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 12-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Senior Member
 
groulxs's Avatar
 
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cobden
Posts: 193
Thanks: 4
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Sled: 06z570,04F6,96zr440
You are all correct.
1) I've never tried it because none of my sleds have reverse
2) I read about this procedure in the latest SnowTech magazine. I didn't make anything up. Apparently, there are dealers who do it that way to save time.
3) As I stated, I was just "throwing that out there".



#47
groulxs is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 12-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Senior Member
 
109jb's Avatar
 
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Morris, IL
Posts: 4,416
Thanks: 0
Thanked 413 Times in 389 Posts
Garage
Sled: 02 M-Cat 800, 99 Jag 440, 96 Panther 440
ATV: none
Not really all that far fetched when you consider the instructions in the service manual that I cut and pasted below:

Using a pipe wrench and starting from either end,
hook the edge of the wear strip with the pipe
wrench jaw and twist the wear strip off the slide
rail. Move the pipe wrench 7.5 cm (3 in.) and
again twist the wear strip off the rail. Repeat this
procedure until the wear strip is free of the rail.
109jb is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 12-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 306
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sled: 2006 700 CF
07-08 Mileage: 1,800
06-07 Mileage: 1,202
ATV: Honda Rubicon
2007 Mileage: 10
2006 Mileage: 120
Just a FYI
Colored Hyfax wear faster then Black & White.
dvt520 is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 12-02-2010, 03:50 PM
Senior Member
 
pressurevac's Avatar
 
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ardrossan, Alberta
Posts: 111
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sled: 2009 M8 Sno Pro
ATV: 2007 700 LE EFI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
Not really all that far fetched when you consider the instructions in the service manual that I cut and pasted below:

Using a pipe wrench and starting from either end,
hook the edge of the wear strip with the pipe
wrench jaw and twist the wear strip off the slide
rail. Move the pipe wrench 7.5 cm (3 in.) and
again twist the wear strip off the rail. Repeat this
procedure until the wear strip is free of the rail.
HA!! Thats freaking hilarious!!

LETS GO BACK.....I THINK I MISSED A ROCK!
pressurevac is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum > Snowmobiles > Arctic Cat Snowmobiles > M Series/Mtn.

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hyfax wear strips tcat446 Z/ZL/ZR/ZRT/Tcat/EXT/jag/cougar 5 08-31-2010 12:21 PM
pad wear JD700EFI General ATV Discussion 2 01-25-2010 02:23 PM
tunnel protector strips ken74amx Z/ZL/ZR/ZRT/Tcat/EXT/jag/cougar 11 06-12-2009 10:27 PM
Slide rail wear strips Hazel Creek Z/ZL/ZR/ZRT/Tcat/EXT/jag/cougar 7 01-02-2008 05:34 PM
What do you wear mowjoe General ATV Discussion 26 03-21-2006 02:32 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome