NavbitArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » Arctic Cat Snowmobiles » M Series/Mtn. » Need some help on a 99 powder special 600 efi

Old 02-25-2009, 06:31 PM   #1

First off I would like to say nice site to all, I just logged on for the first time and took a look around and im impressed. So know that im done kissing butt I need some help. My father in law has a 99 powder special 600 efi. One day he got in a hurry and put chain saw oil in the oil tank. Once he noticed that he did it he sucked all out of the tank. The sled never was started with that oil in the tank. He took it out for a ride with the correct oil in the tank and he noticed a bog when you stabbed the throttle. I took it out today and notice it when you stabbed it off the line and at cruising speed it boggs then goes like a raped ape. It revs fine up to around 8800 or so. I did a search on this site and some one mention the TPS up on the throttle block. I'll go and check this here when I finish this topic. Help me impress my father inlaw and lets fix this sled. Thanks Jesse

update: I went out to take a look and found that the rubber boot that goes from the airbox to the carbs is dry rotted and has holes in it. This is not good right? This might be my fix. let me know what you think, thanks Jesse
Coolinthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-26-2009, 11:10 PM   #2

Sled: 04 M1 900, 99 Bearcat 550 WT, 93 550 EXT
10-11 Mileage:
09-10 Mileage: not enuff
08-09 Mileage: 250 + torn ACL
07-08 Mileage: 400 and 1 blown knee
06-07 Mileage: 600+ and 1 blown driveshaft bearing
ATV: Santa Cruz Nomad Mt. Bike
check the rubber between cyl head and injectors, intake boot. if they're cracked/ not sealing,
that'll cause an air leak and we know thats not good.
you can try squirting some starting fluid around there while engine's running, it'll rev up if gets in via cracks.
rubber between airbox and injectors is just a dirty air issue more than performance issue.
btw the oil shouldn't be any issue.
Schralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:16 AM   #3

I took it out again today and no change with the new boot. I allmost flew over the bars when I pinned the throttal and it almost stalled out. I went out into a open field with two feet of fresh powder and it was booging the whole time. Do you think this could be electical, or maybe a fuel issue? I know nothing about efi sleds. If this was carbed, It would be fixed by now. thanks fdor the reply. Jesse
Old 02-27-2009, 12:50 AM   #4

Sled: 02 M-Cat 800, 99 Jag 440, 96 Panther 440
ATV: none
Especially for engine problems with a powder special you would probably be better off posting in the ZR forum since the powder special is just a long track ZR. Anyway, there is TPS (throttle position sensor), and TSS (Throttle safety switch). The TPS is the sensor on the throttle body that the computer uses to determine how much fuel to give the engine. The TSS is just a safety switch to prevent a runaway sled if the throttle gets stuck.

To test the TSS, unplug the 3 pin connector up by the handlebars that goes to the kill button. It is on a wire by itself. You will know you have the right one because you will be able to start the sled with the kill button pushed down. You will have to shut off with the key. Ride it and see if the bog is still there. If it is it wasn't because of the TSS. If the bog goes away, see this thread.

http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/ind...howtopic=27548

For the TPS, see the thread below.

http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/ind...owtopic=107609
109jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:56 PM   #5

Well I had another set of throttle bodies just laying around and it still had the TPS on them. I switched out the bodies and there was no change in performance. Whats next? Im lost, and Im thinking it might be time to take it to a dealer.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » Arctic Cat Snowmobiles » M Series/Mtn.

Search tags for this page
1998 arctic cat powder special 600 efi problem starting
1999 600efi arctic cat tss location
1999 arctic cat powder special 600 efi drive shaft manual
2000 powder special 600 efi tss issues

96 powder special bogs from idle

99 powder special 600

do you have to use arctic cat oil in 2000 600 powder special
rad fluid leak on powder special 600 efi
spark only once in a while in 1999 arctic cat powder special

tss artic cat 600 pwder special

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.