Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

Summerizing the sleds, Whats your procedure?

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  tiggershark 
#1 ·
I have two ZR's, a 15' ZR8000 and a 16' ZR6000. I keep them in a controlled environment ( heated and air conditioned man cave) My way is too stabilize the gas, ( startron or seafoam) and start them once a month and let them warm up. No fogging of the engine. The following riding season I remove the hood, clean the power valves and replace the plugs and gas with fresh. The sleds get washed/waxed/ greased etc. In the owners manual it sez to pour 1 oz 30 weight oil in each cylinder and pull over 10 times, others spray fogging oil in the throttle bodies and kill the machine. The hoods arent exactly easy to remove anyway and even harder to get back on and in place. Whats your method? p.s, hoping for another ride this year but that isnt looking too good.

#4 ·
Not good for the smart valves in EFI sleds. A few guys have suggested filling tank and in the fall, siphon old fuel and put in their vehicle and add fresh fuel in the sled.

#5 ·
I fill fuel completely full and treat with startron, grease everything,
lift the track up and never use stabil because that crap is garbage.
I did powersports repair full time for the past 3 years out of my own shop (got tired of the non stop work and calls at all hours) I would venture to say at least a solid 1/5 of my work came in from people having carb troubles saying they treated with stabil.
I also like to pop the primary and scotch brite it, the secondary and anti seize it.
I never bother swapping gas out if its been treated.
Also NEVER run rec fuel from a place that doesn't go through LOTS of it all year round, its worse than ethanol. :ph34r:

#7 ·
Country cat told me when I bought mine that AC recommends draining as much out as possible. But Country Cat says top it off with E free fuel and drain and replace with fresh when the season starts. Reason being an empty tank is full of moisture that can condense when the temp fluctuates.

#10 ·
I do the same, fill it with gas and startron additive and then use it up in my vehicles the next fall/winter. If the sleds arent going to be used for more than 2 weeks, I add the additive.
Starting the sleds in July/August when is 85 degrees outside and smell that awesome 2 stoke fumes...... well it gives me a boner and makes me wish it was winter!

Reactions: 1995acext580
#11 ·
Tigger. I use apv oil in my weed whips and chainsaws. Smells great! Yes I know it's injection oil not ment for mixing but it works great. 5 years and counting

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

#12 ·
I usually fill both sleds up with non ethanol fuel and put startron in them, which I pretty much run that set up all season long anyways. Wash them, grease everything good. WD-40 on shocks. And put them in the building where I store them and put covers on them. Then like said above by other people I try to start them once a month or so and let them get to operating temp.

#13 ·
Locally, I can only get 89 octane in a non ethanol gas which I use to fill the sleds with for summer. There is 93 octane non ethanol gas available but no one uses it so i think its old stuff at the gas station already. The sleds take 91 octane so in the fall I siphon the gas out and use it in my truck. Just dont want that ethanol in there period. 89 in fine if you just idle the sled once a month. Our U.P. has been canceled for this weekend and it looks like it storage time for the sleds. I like the WD-40 method and have done that for years... I buy it in a gallon container $19.99 ,,cheap compared to the aerosol cans This year the rear suspensions will get soaked in WD-40

#14 ·
Time to store them. Looks like winter is trying to hang on but no measurable amount of snow anywhere worth riding on. Absolute LOUSY WINTER......Again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.