Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

How do you dress for snowmobiling and not look like a huge dork?

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  gotsnopa 
#1 ·
So basically all snowmobile gear, in my eyes, is pretty dorky. You're the guy wearing the band t shirt ad the band concert, if you have 'branded' gear. So what is some good gear that doesn't have advertising and logos all over it? Also, I'm kind of considering just buying a 70s/80s retro one piece snowmobile suit, has anybody used one? How do they work in extremely cold weather?

#2 ·
Different Opinions as I like the AC stuff but just get your generic brand at Fleetfarm or what ever outdoor store is around you. There is some good gear for Ice fishing that will work as well

#4 ·
I have a red and black retro Skidoo Eagle River coat and pants set from the 80's. It's pretty cool looking.

Otherwise I buy clearance stuff a couple years old. That keeps it cheap too. I got a nice Arctic cat jacket this year from a silent auction too. A $300 jacket for the price of some tickets for a benefit. That works pretty well too if you go to a snowmobile show of some kind.

Lots of options. I bought a clearance Yamaha Goretex jacket for $50 brand new too. Use it to clear my driveway when it's 0 out. Warm and you never are wet in it.

Check the for sale ads on here too. I've gotten some great deals via here and ebay too.

Steve

#5 ·
I have a 2000 ZR600. I just think that most of the gear for sale is super obnoxious with huge CAT logos or YAMAHA logos, etc. Just... why? Why advertise? Reminds me of guys who put huge HONDA stickers on the windshield of their HONDA so everyone knows they drive a HONDA and really like HONDA so if you have a HONDA you should talk to them about HONDAS. Super nerdy if you ask me.

#6 ·
North face and some other companies make great winter outdoor stuff as well. They usually don't have big logos

#7 ·
There's lots of great snowmobile clothing out there that is free of logos or very subtle. Have you looked?

Cat usually offers blacked out clothing. I purchased a black w/ subtle gray piping Motorfist suit that is pretty tame.

Cat, Castle, FXR, Klim, Motorfist, HMK, Coldwave, Arctiva, etc. all have black suits with really small logos or no logos at all.

Now, if Carharts are your style, then I think that would be dorky :)

#11 ·
There's lots of great snowmobile clothing out there that is free of logos or very subtle. Have you looked?

Cat usually offers blacked out clothing. I purchased a black w/ subtle gray piping Motorfist suit that is pretty tame.

Cat, Castle, FXR, Klim, Motorfist, HMK, Coldwave, Arctiva, etc. all have black suits with really small logos or no logos at all.

Now, if Carharts are your style, then I think that would be dorky :)

X's 2

Stay away from brands that do not promote snowmobiling. Some winter clothing companys spend big amounts of money to try and fight to kick us off the trails. If you buy from them then you help thier agenda. All of the above companys are good to buy from. Northface on the other hand I would not buy from.

#10 ·
Curious what you are referring to as of dorky? You must be referring to some of the traditional midwest large logo, nascar esque pieces? all the major brands of gear the last three yeats now, and all of them offer subtle logos to enormous, from bright to straight black.

Are you maybe referring to the OEM branded gear?

#16 ·
#15 ·
Just about every sled gear brand has a blacked out jacket/pants. Main thing for riding gear is having gear that wicks, cotton holds moisture and it is the moisture that allow the cold to stay.

North face is a terrible option as they back the sierra club, same with rei. Too bad some snowmobile riders do not know this. I just cringe when I see power sport people riding in gear that the manufacture does not support powersports.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.