NavbitArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » General Snowmobile Discussion » Aluminum vs Fiberglass Enclosed Trailers

General Snowmobile Discussion Anything snowmobile related. Arctic Cat or not.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:43 AM   #1

What are the advantages/disadvantages of either for an enclosed sled trailer?

Any advice much appreciated
browning3812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-05-2010, 08:12 AM   #2

Sled: 2000 600EFI Powder special, 2012 XF1100
10-11 Mileage: 2400
09-10 Mileage: 2500
07-08 Mileage: 1000+
Fiberglass - More streamlined and aerodynamic, a little easier to see who's behind you on the road, better looking. (If you are talking about a clamshell style)

Aluminum - a little lighter, less expensive,

Aluminum dents and Fiberglass cracks
Wyelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #3

I'm guessing you're considering for a 2 place trailer.... The fiberglass will be more aerodynamic if clamshell, like Wyelde mentioned. They are more contoured to the tops of the sleds, look good and tow well...

Depending on what you want to do with it..... If the weather is bad and you have to work on a sled, you won't have enough room to close the clamslell and work on a sled in there. Also, the walls in an aluminum trailer will have stronger corner posts, etc, where you can mount coat racks, helmet racks, oil/lube can racks, etc..

You may want to consider how far you're hauling your sled. Usually we have a 10-12 hour drive each way to get to where we sled.... What else do you want to haul with your sled? We haul tools, just in case, and throw all our gear in the trailer so we have more room in the truck, and our gear is always dry when we get to the hotel.

Personally, I own an all alum 4 place featherlite enclosed trailer. We use the trailer quite a bit since it's so easy to load/unload. Instead of leaving our sleds out where they can get stolen, tampered with or covered with ice, we pull them into the trailer each night, knowing out stuff is safe. Also, you can use an alum enclosure for more than just hauling sleds... ever have to move furniture? The taller height is very helpful.

Cheers, and good luck with which ever way you go.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:48 AM   #4

Solid feedback thanks......

It would be a clam-style as much as I would love to have a 3 or 4 place (drive on/off + man door) I just don't have the cash for that...yet

I doubt that an ATV will fit in the fiberglass but will fit in aluminum (depending on model of course)
browning3812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:35 AM   #5
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
Sled: 01 ZRT800 01 ZR600 efi
10-11 Mileage: 1500
09-10 Mileage: 1200
08-09 Mileage: 1000
ATV: 03 Electra Glide
2010 Mileage: 10,000+
2009 Mileage: 10,000+
2008 Mileage: 10,000+
2007 Mileage: 10,000+
I bought a '10 Neo Classic 7x12 single axle motorcycle trailer. I mainly haul 1 sled and it fits 2 if one is forward and one backward. It was $300 more than a 12' tilt Triton w/cover. I bought it because I can use it year 'round.
blkbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:49 AM   #6

Sled: 11?? T-Cat
I have a sledbed clamshell. It is older and I beleive a three place drive on/off used for a two. I can carry all my tools 100 gallons of gas cans, all my gear and then some, a torpedo heater as well as 2 propane tanks, and a Tcat and Z1Turbo under the shell. It is good looking and provides great shelter. But the shell is very heavy, and hard to open close in the summer as the gas assist lifters charge is more potent in higher temps. I do not care what kind of shell you get, they pull like a parachute. I have a suburban and my mileage goes to 11 when pulling this. God help you if there is a head wind. I have a frien that thas an aluminum shell drive on only. IMO there is no comparison, fiberglass wins.
mikesnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:18 PM   #7

I'd like to mention that if you do get an aluminum trailer or a fixed enclosed trailer with doors, make sure you get the V-nose on the trailer as it makes wolds of difference compared to pulling a square front trailer what we call "pigs"
Attached Thumbnails
Aluminum vs Fiberglass Enclosed Trailers-deck_7.jpg   Aluminum vs Fiberglass Enclosed Trailers-deck_6.jpg   Aluminum vs Fiberglass Enclosed Trailers-dsc01384.jpg  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » General Snowmobile Discussion

Search tags for this page
enclosed trailer covers
fiberglass cargo trailer
fiberglass cover for snowmobile trailer
fiberglass enclosed motorcycle trailers
fiberglass enclosed snowmobile trailer

fiberglass enclosed trailers

fiberglass enclosed utility trailer
fiberglass snowmobile trailer
fiberglass snowmobile trailer cover
fiberglass snowmobile trailers
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.