General Snowmobile Discussion Anything snowmobile related. Arctic Cat or not.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:10 AM   #1

Sled: Broken
ATV: 08 Yammie FZ1 (Bike)
2007 Mileage: na
2006 Mileage: na
so i have seen things around that you can get a plastic weld kit for abs plastic. wondering if any of you have tried it my f7 had a crack by the windshield when i bought it and it was fiberglassed up which didnt hold. where can i get one?
thanks
sebastian
Old 08-20-2010, 08:18 AM   #2

Harbor Freight has one. I have one of their older ones (non adjustable heat) and it worked quite well. Wasn't purdy but probably operator error. A large crack in rear fender never cracked again after welding it.
willtier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:55 AM   #3
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
Sled: 2003 F7 Firecat SnoPro
10-11 Mileage: 55
09-10 Mileage: 105
08-09 Mileage: 50
ATV: 1996 Suzuki Quad Runner lt-250 4WD
I've used a plastic welder before and they do work. If you practice on buckets first, you can train yourself to make a pretty clean weld. Not sure if this will work on the windscreen though, as it is made of polycarbonate (i think) but I know for sure it is not polyethelene based like the belly pans. ABS is a harder more brittle plastic. Not real sure what parts of the sled are made of this, other than the speedo housing and other small parts.

Do your homework before applying a plasti-weld. Certain types of plastic will not bond with other plastics.

"Dude, that was a chick who just boondocked that mountainside.... on a Firecat.... You just got totally skooled man...."
Archinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:52 PM   #4

Sled: Broken
ATV: 08 Yammie FZ1 (Bike)
2007 Mileage: na
2006 Mileage: na
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Archinto @ Aug 20 2010, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
 Quote:
I've used a plastic welder before and they do work. If you practice on buckets first, you can train yourself to make a pretty clean weld. Not sure if this will work on the windscreen though, as it is made of polycarbonate (i think) but I know for sure it is not polyethelene based like the belly pans. ABS is a harder more brittle plastic. Not real sure what parts of the sled are made of this, other than the speedo housing and other small parts.

Do your homework before applying a plasti-weld. Certain types of plastic will not bond with other plastics.[/b]
its the hood itself thats cracked right by where the screen inserts into it. im sure i can figure out makin a good plastic weld since i will be getting my cert in flux cored and stick welding this semester!
Old 08-23-2010, 02:10 AM   #5
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
Sled: 2003 F7 Firecat SnoPro
10-11 Mileage: 55
09-10 Mileage: 105
08-09 Mileage: 50
ATV: 1996 Suzuki Quad Runner lt-250 4WD
the only thing with welding plastic is it is WAY to easy to mess it up LOL.

When I worked at the tool rental here in town, the bossman had me stitch up a rentacan that had gotten a big crack in the outer wall, and it was looking good till I went too far with it. Turned a nice job into an ugly one quick. So, do take the time to get practiced up before working on your baby. :3

There was a crack in my sleds hood on the side near the hood latch band, and my guy repaired with with an aluminum plate and rivets. Came out tight and clean. Not sure if you can do that in the area thats broken on yours. You should be able to mend it with the welding kit. Good luck, and do show us the results!

"Dude, that was a chick who just boondocked that mountainside.... on a Firecat.... You just got totally skooled man...."
Archinto is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » General Snowmobile Discussion

Search tags for this page
abs plastic fender arctic cat wildcat
arctic cat plastics abs

plasti weld

weld plastic bucket
what kind of plastic are snowmobile windshields made out of
what kind of plastic is a snowmobile hood made of

what kind of plastic snowmobile hood

what type of plastic are firecat hoods made from
what type of plastic are snowmobile windshields made out of

what type of plastic is a snowmobile hood made out of

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.