General Snowmobile Discussion Anything snowmobile related. Arctic Cat or not.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
Sled: 02 ZL600 EFI ESR 94 ZR 580
I just picked up a used Triton trailer for my sled. I have an 02 Nissan Frontier that has individual turn signal lights(yellow) from the red brake lights. How do I wire this up to work with the 4 prong plug on the trailer. Someone mentioned a T-connector but I have no idea what that is or where to buy one. I know this sounds stupid and there is probably some simple answer but can someone help direct me? Thanks.

Bob
Bob P is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-03-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin  
Administrator
Sled: 2015 XF7000sp Limited
10-11 Mileage: 1568
09-10 Mileage: don't ask.....
No such thing as a stupid question only the one not asked, Yep its fairly easy just go to your local wal-mart or auto parts store and tell them that you need to be able to plug into your factory harness without splicing for trailer hook up and they should have the plug for you then you just add the 4 flat or 7 round, I have both plugs onto the other end of that. they make a 7 round with the 4 flat beside it as one unit so you have both or I also have adapters to go from the 7 round down to the 4 flat. To put the harness in it should be on the left side of just in front of or above the tail light assy.

Need info on riding Pa??
http://www.pasnow.org
Pennsylvania Snowmobiling | Facebook

PA Certified snowmobile Safety Instructor
Ride safe arrive safe
contact Don@ dadsf7@hotmail.com

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."-- Ronald Reagan

"Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives." -- Ronald Reagan

dadszr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:22 PM   #3

Sled: 97 Powder Extreme 2014 XF7000LTD
Bob, there's going to be a converter, in the equation some place, since you have the separate amber turn signals. Be sure to confirm before buying the plug and go harness.

Jack Shaft Grease Fitting Addition

Bearing Retainer Mod
FrozenTows is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:31 PM   #4
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin  
Administrator
Sled: 2015 XF7000sp Limited
10-11 Mileage: 1568
09-10 Mileage: don't ask.....
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FrozenTows @ Mar 3 2010, 11:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
 Quote:
Bob, there's going to be a converter, in the equation some place, since you have the separate amber turn signals. Be sure to confirm before buying the plug and go harness.[/b]

didn't even think of that..... but wouldn't the harness run back then split off? his T would go before the split correct?

Need info on riding Pa??
http://www.pasnow.org
Pennsylvania Snowmobiling | Facebook

PA Certified snowmobile Safety Instructor
Ride safe arrive safe
contact Don@ dadsf7@hotmail.com

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."-- Ronald Reagan

"Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives." -- Ronald Reagan

dadszr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:57 PM   #5

Sled: 02 M-Cat 800, 99 Jag 440, 96 Panther 440
ATV: none
The converter is on the tow vehicle and the way to do that part is to buy a kit that has connectors that plug into the existing vehicle wiring harness. They are made specifically for your vehicle. You said it was a 2002 Nissan Frontier. The link below is for a kit that just plugs in. No cutting or splicing of wires or anything.

Trailer connector
109jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:19 AM   #6

Basically the converter turns 5 wires into 4 which the trailer uses.

From the Truck….ground, left turn, right turn, running, & stop
To the Trailer……ground left turn/stop, right turn/stop, & running

The converter separates the truck from the trailer, so it’s after it “T’s” from the truck to the trailer.

This can be done a couple different ways. One is the converter box mounted under the truck box. Five in, Four out to the vehicles Trailer Receptacle.

Some use a molded-in converter directly at the vehicle Trailer Receptacle. So five wires in and four trailer connector prongs on the end. This means a big honkin plastic thing hanging on the back of the truck. Not the most desirable in my opinion.

Both, of the above, place the vehicles trailer lead in harms way when not towing a trailer. You see it driving down the road all the time. The plug flapping in the breeze, getting salt, dirt, and crud pounded on it, and then we wonder why it doesn’t work.

On my Toyota, I bought a separate converter (5 in/4out), made my own splices (soldier with liquid electrical tape) to the vehicles lighting circuits, and then ran to a RV Style 7 way Vehicle Receptacle mount directly, solid, to my hitch. (my hitch had a hole to mount in) That way the vehicle receptacle has the “flapper” to keep the crud out and no wires are dangling in the breeze when I’m not towing. This system requires a 7way to 4flat adapter to plug in the sled or boat trailer. Or you can get the kind with the 4flat along size the 7way as stated above. I had to replace mine once in twelve years because I broke it, not because it failed due to corrosion.

I’m surprised that the Frontier doesn’t already have factory trailer wiring. If it came with a hitch, it more than likely has trailer wiring. You may want to dig around, under there, and see if some wires are tape up someplace. If you find a white, yellow, brown, and a green, you should be golden! Just wire those to the 4 flat (or solid mount 7 way) and all should be good. The converter is already there in a place that no human eye has seen since the date of mfg. Heck, you might even find a blue & black one too. The blue is for electric brakes and the black is a hot charging circuit. (which you don’t need right now, but if you use a 7way, wire them up too for future reference)

Sure aint like wiring up the 72 Ford! Cheers.

Bearing Retainer Mod
Old 03-04-2010, 07:55 AM   #7
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
Thanks guys. After spending time using different search options I found this. This looks like it plugs righ into my existing harness. The truck did not come with a hitch so there was no wiring underneath.

I had bought a 5-wire to 4-wire thing at NAPA yesterday and spliced it in and it wasn't working right. I had connected the trailer lights directly to 12v to test them and all circuits worked fine. With the trailer lights being sealed units and not grounded to the frame maybe that has something to do with it. , but I like the idea of something that plugs directly in instead of me splicing.

[attachment=150217:7211_med.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails
Need Help Wiring Triton Trailer-7211_med.jpg  
Old 03-04-2010, 08:21 AM   #8

I'd plug the trailer into a known working tow vehicle to make sure the trailer is working properly. Even with the plug and play harnesses, I think it's still a good idea to make your own good frame ground(on the tow vehicle) The white wire is ground. A bad ground, or partial ground, can make the lights doe some crazy things. i.e. all lights blink when turn signal is on, turn signal turns off when brakes applied, right turns left & vise versa, etc.

The Hoppy unit should work just fine.

Bearing Retainer Mod
Old 03-04-2010, 09:32 AM   #9
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FrozenTows @ Mar 4 2010, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
 Quote:
I'd plug the trailer into a known working tow vehicle to make sure the trailer is working properly. Even with the plug and play harnesses, I think it's still a good idea to make your own good frame ground(on the tow vehicle) The white wire is ground. A bad ground, or partial ground, can make the lights doe some crazy things. i.e. all lights blink when turn signal is on, turn signal turns off when brakes applied, right turns left & vise versa, etc.

The Hoppy unit should work just fine.[/b]

Thanks, i'll find someone with a vehicle I can test it with. Good idea.

Bob
Old 03-04-2010, 02:03 PM   #10
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
AllRightyThen! Picked up the Hopkins kit at AutoZone for $36, plugged it in and BINGO-everything works perfectly. Took all of about 4 minutes. Happy camper.

Bob

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » General Snowmobile Discussion

Search tags for this page
1996 triton elite trailer wiring
2000 triton snowmobile trailer lighting diagram
snowmobile trailer wiring diagram
triton boat trailer wiring diagram

triton snowmobile trailer wiring diagram

triton trailer wiring

triton trailer wiring diagram

triton trailer wiring harness

triton trailer wiring schematic
wiring diagram for a triton trailer
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.