NavbitArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » General Snowmobile Discussion » Improvments AC 6-tower vs. old 9-tower clutch

General Snowmobile Discussion Anything snowmobile related. Arctic Cat or not.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:45 PM   #1

Hello.
What are the advantages of the newer design Arctic 6-tower clutch (with classic non fixed weights), compared to the 9-tower it's replacing ? I have only found alot of threads about it being better then the old on, and worse than the newer fix weight design.

Try search anything regarding clutch and you do get allot of hits or none, depending on criteria.

What i have read there are no common tip like go lighter/heavier weight, looser/harder spring etc.

The only thing a can think of is that the there may be a weight difference to the new once advantage. That would generate an affect, same as a change in flywheel size with those advantages or disadvantages.

/Johan

JohanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-01-2009, 10:05 PM   #2

Sled: 2001 Thundercat
10-11 Mileage: 1798 M
09-10 Mileage: 1800 M
08-09 Mileage: 1787 M
07-08 Mileage: 2120 M
06-07 Mileage: 1645 M
I own a new 6-post fixed pin clutch that I have on my 2001 T-Cat. The 6-post clutch is a better, thicker casting. The pulley sheeves are thicker and should be less prone to cracking. The movable half is very strong around the button slides and should take the hammering harmonics of the firing pulses of a two cylinder engine better. New for 2008, the cover bolts are thicker above the threads under the bolt head. This locks the cover to the tower better like a dowel pin and will eliminate the towers from spreading. The sheeves are machined and not just cast like the old clutches.

The old design of bushed flyweights and 1/4" pivot bolts is inferior to the new fixed pin design. The torsional harmonics cause the weight to wobble sideways and this just wears out the bushing so the weight gets looser and eventually hits the spider. The fixed pin weight is wider at the pivot. The hole is 5/16". The pivot bolt is 5/16" with a dimple to lock the weight set screw into. This positively locks the weight to the bolt so it cannot wobble sideways. The tower is bushed on each side to provide over twice the bearing support to the pin. The bushings is tefon coated bronze over steel and should last a very long time. There are viton "O" rings under the nut and bolt head to cushion the bolt to lateral movement.

New style weights are required with lock screws. Because the weight is wider at the pivot, that makes it heavier where the weight does not move. Because of this, you need a flyweight that is about 5 grams heavier than the old style. I am using 60 gram fixed pin weights where I used to use 55 gram bushed weights. There are also at least three different cam profiles and they are not documented. It is very difficult to pick a weight to use. I think A/C is calling the profile P1, P2, P3, P4 etc. I don't know the difference. There needs to be a picture profile map made like the old racing manuals had.

I would suggest using Dolton Pro adjustable flyweights if you can live with over 60 grams as the lightest weight. Look at the online parts lists for many different machines to get the weight part numbers and descriptions.

The extra total clutch weight will add more flywheel to the engine. It will be a little slower to rev and will coast more. However, this would be a very good thing for the old 700 Wildcat engine since it would damper the harmonics that tear the clutch apart on this engine.

BP
Mirrors
Everything an Old Man needs.
Just joined the 20,000 mile club.
Big Pussy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » General Snowmobile Discussion

Search tags for this page

6 tower vs 9 tower

advantage of new arctiv cat 6 post over 9 post

arctic cat 6 tower clutch vs 9 tower clutch

arctic cat 6 tower vs 9 tower

arctic cat 6- and 9-tower clutch
arctic cat 9 post or 6post

arctic cat 9 tower vs 6 tower

difference in a 6 tower and 9 tower clutch

is 9 tower clutch better than 6

putting a arctic cat 9 tower clutch on a polaris

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.