General Snowmobile Discussion Anything snowmobile related. Arctic Cat or not.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:00 PM   #11

Sled: 04 Sabercat 500LX
10-11 Mileage:
09-10 Mileage: 550
08-09 Mileage: 560
07-08 Mileage: 252
06-07 Mileage: 240
ATV: 08 Sportsman 500 X2
2007 Mileage: 100
The lynx was still built on the full sized AFS chassis.
If you want a mid size sled the closest model cat sled would be the pumas and jags in the AWS1 chassis. Otherwise look for a leaf spring jag 3000 free air. Smallest sled cat made in the 80's. A narrow ski stance helps teach a youngster how to lean and better use body english.
Remove Ads
Old 01-18-2008, 01:12 PM   #12

Sled: 1999 ZL 500 EFI
ATV: n/a
First off 16...i think at 16 you can drive a car you should be able to handle a 600 atleast. I think 8-10 there should be a little 250cc sled. Four Stroke too so we can get credits off it. Than they can jump up.
mudboginmainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:30 PM   #13

Sled: 2-Cats & 2-Doo's
10-11 Mileage: 80
09-10 Mileage: 2
08-09 Mileage: 50 ish
07-08 Mileage: Not enough
06-07 Mileage: 220
Smile

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tfd @ Jan 17 2008, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
 Quote:
Look for an old Yamaha Sno Scoot or Sno Sport. The Scoots go about 25 mph and the Sports go about 35 mph. The Scoots are available on ebay all the time and clean ones generally bring about $1600. I have heard of Sports selling for as much as $3000. Its a lot of money, but if your kids don't wreck it, you can probably get most of it back when you are done with it. I had a Scoot that I bought about 12 years ago for $600 and sold after a year for $700 when I found a Sport for $1100. I kept the Sport about 5 years and sold it for $1800. The Scoots and Sports are great learning sleds and are fun to bomb around with but aren't practical for trail riding. I would look for an older bravo/enticer/ovation once the kids get old enough to drive on the trails. These are probably a lot more practical and certainly more affordable than the scoots.[/b]
This is not a bash.

But the Sno Scoot is what many people say.
Here is the question:
Why should I buy an old beat up sled, when I can afford a new one and want a new one. I would like to keep my kids learning at a progressive curve, the larger full sized sled prohibit that.
Place a nine year old on a 440 that can hit a tree at 70 mph, thats just asinine. When I say a progressive curve I mean riding a sled that will not exceed their abilities by leaps and bounds.
I think Arctic Cat is once again missing the band wagon, there is a need for a 300cc fan cooled single to compete with the Ski Doo Freestyle. We need to get a bigger sled by next year so my oldest son can race with kids his age and level. Currently Ski Doo is the only one, I love AC but in 2004/2005 when my wife and I wanted new sleds and standup riding style the REV was the only one. It almost seems as if Arctic Cat is driving away current customers and potential customers.
Wake up Arctic Cat.
You have 4 months then we are ordering a new Freestyle, and you loose yet another sled sale.

My rant is over.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:29 PM   #14
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
Sled: 2004 T660 Turbo Trail
ATV: none
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jkd37 @ Jan 18 2008, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
 Quote:
The lynx was still built on the full sized AFS chassis.
If you want a mid size sled the closest model cat sled would be the pumas and jags in the AWS1 chassis. Otherwise look for a leaf spring jag 3000 free air. Smallest sled cat made in the 80's. A narrow ski stance helps teach a youngster how to lean and better use body english.[/b]
This is where my vote goes.

Those Jags were/are great. Light, not to fast, will teach your childed to how to ride. This if more for the 8 - 14 group, by the time they're 16 they will want a bigger sled, and should be able to handle it (I think I was 15 or 16 when I bough my '95 Cougar 550).

I wouldn't go older then the 80s though, not that they were bad sleds, but you will get a more "modern" (Suzuki with Mukuni carb, possibly oil injection) sled. Heck it might even come with hand warmers!

K
kopeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:22 PM   #15
Fez

Sled: 1993 wildcat 700efi
ATV: 1998 cr 250 r
I think the 370 is fine. My first sled was a 1990 ski doo mx 462. My father gave it to me when I was 8. The first couple of times out I followed him and he kept an eye on me, but its really not that hard for someone that age to grasp the concept that they are very powerful and that they should be treated with respect.
Fez is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » General Snowmobile Discussion

Search tags for this page
medium size snowmobile
medium sized snowmobile
medium sized snowmobiles
mid siz snomobl

mid size snowmobile

mid size snowmobiles

mid sized kids snowmobile
mid sized snowmobile
mid sized youth snow mobile
midsize snowmobile
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.