General Snowmobile Discussion Anything snowmobile related. Arctic Cat or not.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:21 PM   #1

Sled: 2004 Arctic Cat F6 EFI SnoPro
ATV: 2003 Polaris Predator 500
I just bought a Triton trailer that needs to have the deck replaced. I have checked around and nobody in my area has 5/8" marine plywood. I can order new sheets from Triton, but they want $110 per sheet for new wood. That seems a little crazy to me. Has anyone else replaced there decking and ordered sheets of marine plywood through the mail? Prices seem to be a little bit better, but shipping adds a lot. Or have you tried anything else? Not sure what other options there may be other than just forking out the money.
Fwish21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-08-2006, 12:04 AM   #2

Sled: 95 Wildcat 700 Twin, 04 ZR900efi
Go to the local lumber yard and pickup 3/4" treated plywood. I've had it on my trailer for almost 10 years now and its still in very nice condition. Trailer is stored outside at all times. You may be able to get 5/8" plywood, I'm not positive.
BratCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 12:25 AM   #3

Sled: 02 ZR 800EFI CC, Crossfire 600EFI
Pressure treated plywood here too, from the local lumber yard.
ZRrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:18 AM   #4

Sled: 03 f7,
06-07 Mileage: 150 miles
In Canada it's $60 for 4x8 of pressure treated so i'm thinking it will be much less then marine in the states.
canadianfcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:33 AM   #5

Sled: '08 XF Nightfire SP 800 - *SOLD*
Go to Home Depot or Lowe's for 5/8" Pressure treated plywood, buy 3 quarts of Motor Oil and a Paint Brush. Apply Motor Oil on the plywood so it can act as Water Repellent.

Did mine (Purchased my Aluma LTD trailer brand new 2 years ago) and still looks like brand new these days.
ArcticBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:53 AM   #6

Sled: 04 Sabercat 500LX
10-11 Mileage:
09-10 Mileage: 550
08-09 Mileage: 560
07-08 Mileage: 252
06-07 Mileage: 240
ATV: 08 Sportsman 500 X2
2007 Mileage: 100
3/4" treated ply on my trailer, and a new coat of deck sealer every other year has kept it in great shape. I also treated the under side with sealer right after I built it. Probably needs that again.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:00 AM   #7

Sled: 2004 F6 efi snopro
06-07 Mileage: only 400 wtf
what i would do is check your local lumber place(lowes, homdept etc) and check where they sell the sheets of paneling and they have this rubberized sheet 4x8 and i would attach that to the pressure treated plywood the side that is going to be on the bottom of the trailer should slow down the weathering of that plywood for a long time!!
04 F6 efi/snopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:34 PM   #8

Sled: 2004 Arctic Cat F6 EFI SnoPro
ATV: 2003 Polaris Predator 500
Thanks for the help! But I do have one problem though. Below you will see an email that I got from one of the Triton reps.

"Thank you for your inquiry and also owning a Triton trailer. The plywood thickness was and still is 5/8”. In the event you are about to venture to your local Home Depot and purchase replacement lumber I want to advise you of a couple things. (1) You may have a hard time finding 5/8” plywood as it is not very common. (2) Make sure it has a “CCA” grade or less treatment (industrial). Most plywood found at your local supply sources is of a residential grade AC2 (Q) treatment that has a high volume of copper azal, it’s a type of pesticide. This will eat up your aluminum and weaken any welds and point of structural rigidity that it makes contact with weakening the trailer frame. (3) Most local supply sources also only carry sheet of plywood from Yellow Pine stock. Yellow pine is very soft, the edges will curl and the boards will warp in between the cross members in due time. The recommended wood is Douglas Fur, it will stay flatter, longer."

The part that concerns me is "pesticides" used and what it could do to the aluminum trailer. Are you guys using "CCA" grade or have you not payed attention to it? Just curious. Thanks again for the help. Much appreciated.
Fwish21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:45 PM   #9

Sled: 2005 ZR 900 Sno Pro
ATV: 2004 Arctic Cat 650LE
2007 Mileage: 700
The e-mail you got from Triton sounds a little like a scare tactic, but that is just my opinion. Another option that you may want to look into is plywood that is called ADVANTEC in my area it is used alot in subfloors of new homes. Builders put it down before they put on the roof. I have personally seen some that has been out in the elements for over a year and water still beads up on it. Just a thought anways.
bigbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:01 AM   #10

Sled: 02 ZR 800EFI CC, Crossfire 600EFI
A year or two ago they had to change the chemicals in pressure treated wood due to environmental concerns. He may be right, he may be out to lunch. I usually steer away from the big box stores for lumber anyway. I don't like the quality of the wood they sell, and the limited selection (that sounds funny for a big box store). I would recommend looking into a "real" lumber supplier and see what you can get from them.
ZRrrr is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » General Snowmobile Discussion

Search tags for this page

attaching plywood to trailer

best plywood for trailer deck

plywood for trailer deck

redecking a triton snowmobile trailer

should you treat avan tech plywood on a snowmobile trailer
sled bed snowmobile trailer deck treatment

snowmobile trailer decking material

trailer plywood

triton trailers price sheet

what is the best plywood for a trailer

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.