General Snowmobile Discussion Anything snowmobile related. Arctic Cat or not.

Old 08-16-2006, 03:45 PM   #1

Sled: 05 Pantera 550, 91 Cougar
I have a 2005 Pantera 550 that has been a great sled so far. One thing I have noticed compared to my brother-in-law's 2002 Panther is that my track spins more when I am loading and unloading. My rear end is also more prone to sliding out on ice, etc. under power. I compared the two sleds and it seems like his rear suspension is adjusted for more weight (preload?) in the front of the skid. His suspension has an adjuster strap to make adjustments. Mine doesn't. I'm not sure why this is, maybe something to do with the coupling on the newer sleds? Anyway, I would like to adjust more bite into the front of the track. Anybody know how to do this?

Thanks, Dave
arcticdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-16-2006, 06:26 PM   #2

1 word-studs
Green_Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 05:16 AM   #3

Yeah, that might be the way to go. My dealer had the same suggestion without looking at the sled. Still, my bro-in-law's Panther doesn't have any studs and it zips right up into the trailer. I measured the amount of floor between the end of his skis and the beginning of his track touching down and it is a few inches shorter than mine.
You'd think there would be a way to adjust the front part of the skid, just like the previous versions had.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:54 AM   #4

Sled: 07' Doo 1000X Gade , 01' ZR800/900
10-11 Mileage:
09-10 Mileage: 1500
08-09 Mileage: 2500
07-08 Mileage: 2700
06-07 Mileage: 2000
Is your Pantera a two up long track?
catspaz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 10:23 AM   #5

Sled: 02 ZR 800EFI CC, Crossfire 600EFI
It might be pivoting on the front partion of the rear skid. Your front skid spring might be tightened up to much. Lift the skid off the floor, loosen the adjusting collar so that it is just snug against the spring. Enough to hold it in place, but not too loose. According to the schematics for your sled, you do have limiter straps as well. They may need to be shortened slightly. Again, not too much, just a little bit. Schematics show the straps having a couple extra holes for shortening, maybe try the next one. You will have to adjust the spring again after you shorten the strap. This should change the pivot point of the rear skid, puting more weight towards the back. It may make your steering a bit heavier in feel. Idea is to balance the two. How does your steering feel as it is right now?
ZRrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 03:13 PM   #6

Sled: 2004 Pantera 600 EFI, 2001 ZR 600 EFI
07-08 Mileage: 467
ATV: 04 AC 500 Manual
2007 Mileage: 120
THis is a good topic for me to pay attention to because my pantera is really soft in the back and loves to hold the skis off or just barely touching when I am 1/2 to 3/4 throttle but I weigh a little more than most guys 275# so just keep the suggestions coming thanks for starting this post!!! 2004 pantera 600 p.s. how do you like the 550?
2004 pantera 600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 05:24 AM   #7

Thanks, ZRrr, I will try what you have suggested.

Overall, I really like the Pantera 550. It is a two-up, standard length track (for a two-up) I think it is 136 inches. There are times when I think it would be nice to have the top end of the 600 EFI, like when I am in the middle of a lake. It tops out at about 90 mph or so if given time. On wooded trails, etc. it is quick enough to keep up with most of the sled traffic, and let's face it, like most sleds out there, it is fast enough for me overall to splat myself if I make a mistake.

I bought the two up because my wife seemed sort of interested in the sport and gave me the green light to buy new (I made it seem like her idea). It is a bit heavier, but it still handles very well for a two-up sled. The real payoff is in the chop on trails that haven't been groomed for a while - it is awesomely smooth and in control in the rear.

The steering seemed a bit stiff, but probably because I had it set up with 6" semi-agressive Woody's carbides and no studs in the rear. I am thinking of getting a pair of C&As or running doolys this coming season. I have heard that the C&As are a huge upgrade over the stock skis on the ZR type chassis. Anyone have an opinion about the C&As?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » General Snowmobile Discussion

Search tags for this page
2001 arctic cat pantera suspension coupler
2001 arctic cat pantera suspension setup
arctic cat crossfire r800 suspension tuning
arctic cat fast track suspension coupler
arctic cat panthera weight suspension settings
arctic cat rear arm suspention tuneing
arctic cat rear suspension tuning

arctic cat suspension tuning

snowmobile rear suspension tuning

snowmobile suspension tuning

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.