General Snowmobile Discussion Anything snowmobile related. Arctic Cat or not.

Old 12-28-2005, 05:15 PM   #1

Sled: searching for a 440
06-07 Mileage: 300
Thumbs up

I bought an 02 zr 600 cce efi. It has a 3 inch rip near the gas tank. How would i repair this? Duct tape would hold it, but I cant see slapping some tape on a sweet sled. The repair needs to be flexible and take some abuse. Thanks alot
dtc81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-28-2005, 05:29 PM   #2

Sled: zr's & zrt
ATV: still a dream
would it be possible to remove the cover and put a patch on it from the inside?
You may still see the rip, but it would be sealed to keep snow and debri out.
cat-sass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 03:54 PM   #3

Sled: 2002 Zr 600 efi cce
ATV: Honda Recon
I too just got a rip in my seat. While getting my sled unstuck a buddy and me where pulling on the back bumper. The stuipid plastic bumper broke right of the bolts and up into the seat. The thing put about a 2 inch rip on the back corner of the seat. Does anyone have any suggestion for fixing a rip like that. I was hoping for maybe a glue or somthing along that line.

Tim
144 studs
ArcticPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 04:52 PM   #4

Sled: 2014 Eltigre
08-09 Mileage: 1000
07-08 Mileage: 3000
06-07 Mileage: 1200
2008 Mileage: 300
Check with a friend in the automobile business there is likely a guy that comes around to the dealership and fixs leather and and cloth seats for them. There is a guy up here that does it and I think he is called Dr. Vinyl. These guys do a great job for a reasonable amount of money. Get a few seats together and he will probably come out to you and not charge as much per job. I have had alot of seats fixed by these types of guys over the years and they do a great job hardly can tell there was a rip and usually under a 100 bucks but you can also buy seat covers but they probably cost a bit more.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:24 PM   #5

Sled: skidoo
go to your walmart store and pick up vinyl repair kit about 6.00 dollars follow instructions closley works really well. practice first flexable and durable used it on my sled still holding real good.
cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 09:36 PM   #6

Sled: 2002 ZL 600 EFI SS
Having been in the auto and aircraft upholstery business for almost 10 years and fixing/replacing countless motorcycle, atv and snowmobile seat covers, the best way to fix torn vinyl is to either 1) have the piece replaced by a reputable upholstery shop (not always the the most cost effective way) or 2) buy a new cover and have a reputable upholstery shop put it on for you. Arctic Cat can sell you the exact seat cover (sometimes pretty expensive) or there are very good aftermarket companies like Travelcade that sell replacement covers. The covers run about +/- $100 and auto upholstery shops will charge $20-$25 to put it on. Vinyl repairs like Dr. Vinyl don't last because they become brittle and will crack in cold weather. Walmart will sell you the vinyl repair kit but the same thing wth Dr Vinyl will happen. All vinyl repair, in my opinion, looks as bad as putting duct tape on it. It is very obvious and unless you have some skill tends to look terrible. People tend to neglect their seats, but it is one of the things people look at. Also if your tear is near an edge you may be able to take a few staples out and using a heat gun to warm the entire area where the tear is so it becomes stretchy. You can then pull the vinyl over the edge and re-staple it, in front of the tear so it will not continue. An auto upholstery shop can also do this for you. You need and air staple, electric will not work and shops tend to charge more if you have attempted and failed first. Call around your area. You will obviously have to remove the entire seat your self and bring it to the shop. If you do this and your seat has the gas tank attached, please empty out all of the gas. It spills out everywhere when fixing the seat and makes it difficult to work on.
fasteddy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 12:28 AM   #7

Sled: searching for a 440
06-07 Mileage: 300
thanks alot everybody...im still undecided whether im going to take it to a shop and have them do it, or if im going to attempt it myself. I was worried how the cold would affect the outcome if i did it myself. How difficult is it to take the seat off? Thanks again
dtc81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 01:07 AM   #8

Sled: Artic Cat ZR 800 and Z 440
ATV: Suzuki 500 LT-4WD
2007 Mileage: 125
Had a rip in my A.C seat and fixed it easy with clear silicone and Black rtv. Squirt in quite a bit of the clear silicone, use a toothpick to smear it arround on the foam and the seat materal, let it dry up a bit. pinch to cut as best you can.....24 hours later....fill in the area with the black RTV. It will dry a match the black seat really well. (provided you have a black seat) That is all.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » General Snowmobile Discussion

Search tags for this page
atv seat patch
atv seat repair
atv seat repair kit
can is use black electrical tape to repair my leather seat
how to patch a snowmobile seat
how to repair a snowmobile seat
how to repair snowmobile seat
repair a torn snowmobile seat

snowmobile seat repair

snowmobile seat repair kit
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.