General Snowmobile Discussion Anything snowmobile related. Arctic Cat or not.

Old 11-20-2005, 11:20 AM   #1

Sled: arctic cat 660t
ATV: argo response
2007 Mileage: 20 hours
I'm new to snowmobiles. Bought my first sleds yesterday. Two arctic cat 660t machines from 2003, one with 750 miles and the other with 950 miles. My family (wife and four boys) and I will use the machines to travel 2.5 miles to our family cabin in the sierra's with all the family's items. So I'll be needing a cargo carrier. I'd like to make the cargo carrier/utility sled with my eldest son (13) as a project. I'm wondering if any of you folks out there have done the same and if so do you have a set of great plans that you might share with us newbees. We would like the cargo carrier to fold so we can store when not using it.

any tips on connecting the cargo carrier to the sled would also be appreciated. our sleds do not see to have a tow hitch connection. perhaps arctic cat makes such an option?

thanks
trimedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-20-2005, 11:23 AM   #2

Sled: 07 Phazer, 02 CCE zr500
they do make a tow hitch we bought a utility trailer that already folds up its kind of small but for that short of a distance a few trips wont hurt ...i ll see if i can find a picture of the one we bought
strangeland2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 11:31 AM   #3

Sled: 07 Phazer, 02 CCE zr500
this is the one we bought it had a really cheap platform so we put a stronger one on it but it is big enough to hold our generator but does require several trips to get all of our stuff in to the camp

we got it from cabelas
Attached Thumbnails
cargo sled-sled_trailer.jpg  
strangeland2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 12:25 PM   #4
rws

Sled: 2013 XF 1100 Cross Tour
Here's the one I made...plastic tub bought at a sports outfitter...made the frame, pole and sled hitch out of square tubing and angle iron...steel skis from an old sled....got the pintle from Arctic Cat. The pole is attached with pins so it can be easily removed for compactness.
rws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 07:08 PM   #5

so is the pintle the part purchased from arctic cat? did it come with the mounting bar?
Old 11-20-2005, 08:18 PM   #6
rws

Sled: 2013 XF 1100 Cross Tour
 Quote:
Originally posted by trimedia@Nov 20 2005, 07:08 PM
so is the pintle the part purchased from arctic cat?* did it come with the mounting bar?
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

Yes, I think it was about $25. I made the bar it is mounted to.
rws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 08:20 PM   #7

Sled: 09 HCR 800 & MODS
10-11 Mileage:
09-10 Mileage: 381
08-09 Mileage: 1341.3
07-08 Mileage: 1245.9
06-07 Mileage: 1664.3
ATV: 09 AC550 efi Wplow
2009 Mileage: 189
I tow a sled a great deal up here,

I'd suggest a "basket sled" for hauling supplies, I made mine in about a week, using hickory, ash & aluminum, the hitch is solid and attatches to a pintel hitch...

I also made the SKI sled, the skis are from an outfit up here called PLASCHEM, they were great, but I sold that sled when I moved. Kept the more versitle basket sled.

if you have questions, feel free to e-mail me.

Jason
Old 11-20-2005, 08:31 PM   #8

10-11 Mileage:
Here is a pic of the SKI sled...

welded frame, plywood bottom & sides, weighed about 100lbs... but pulled very easy.
Attached Thumbnails
cargo sled-img_0003.jpg  
Old 11-20-2005, 11:06 PM   #9

the basket sled looks quite nice. Do you have any drawings for your design? or was it build as you go? What were the dimensions of the basket sled? How much do weight is recommended as the limit for the basket sled? for the towing of the snowmobile?

I have abrother that lves in Eagle River AK, perhaps he could find ut where those PLASCHEM parts were purchased and get me some.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:05 AM   #10

10-11 Mileage:
I do not have plans for the basket sled. But here is a "description"

the sled measures 36" wide, and is 12' long, the up rights are 14" apart, and are made of hickory.
Alot of the people up here use a uniform length on the up rights, (except for the last 3') making a more suitable cargo sled.

the runners are made of hickory and UMHV plastic,(plastic goes on last) the wood is 2 1/2" (2" thick) wide, the plastic is 3 1/4" by 1/2 thick, I put 1" aluminum square U channel ( inside measures 7/8") on top of the hickory, and then off set the last 24" 1/2" (thickness of plastic) of the "runner" to double up the plastic and make the "bend" using a heat gun. ( again this is the last thing I do)

the hickory uprights slide into the channel and are bolted with lag bols to the runner through the aluminum. Aluminum is boletd to the hickory, every 16"

I use stainless scews to hold the plastic to the hickory, counter sunk,

The bed slats are ash, and are 3/8" thick, and are screwed to the cross pieces which are made out of 2" X 1" thick pieces of hickory, the top rails are made of 1" x 1" hickory and is hled on by1/16" metal bent over, (a nail was diven into a counter sunk hole, 2 bit sizes smaller than the nail) lastly there are 4...1" x 1" side supports, that run the entire length of the seld, and meet the top rail on the bow, attaching to a thick wedge shape cross bar (bow bar) on the front, these side pieces are on the outside and inside on the uprights and are 8" above the runners, and are lag bolted to the uprights. the cross pieces rest on, and are bolted to them... then the bed slats on those. There are 2 pieces of 1" x 36" x 2" pieces on the last to uprights, 1 to make a "handle" and the other lower for support.

3/8" line is used to "tie" the sled up and help keep the cargo inside the uprights and the rear supports.

I made the runners and uprights out of a solid piece of 2" x 13" x 14' piece of kiln dried hickroy, I got a 2" x 12" x 14' piece of ash for the bed slats

the hitch is made of cold rolled steel 1" tubing, and is shaped like an "A", each arm is independent, and has a clevis on the front that attaches to the hitch. (this keeps the steel from cracking)

I haul up tp 600lbs in this sled, 2-3 caribou, 1/2 a Moose etc. I have hauled drumms of fuel, and a wood stove! My kids ride in it, as does their toys...

it trails behind easily and was very fun to make. oh there are skeg too, made of old track cleats from dennis kirk, I just ground a taper on the front, and screwd them to the runners

The company I got the skis from is called PLASCHEM, it is in ANchorage. I don't have a number, but they are online... those skis were llight and all I ever did to them was slap them on a trailer frame, and add a set of skegs made out of an old set of track cleats.

Hope this helps a biit, I'll try and find more pictures, I think that either way you would be happy, my basket sled is now 6 years old, and has been great,

Jason

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » General Snowmobile Discussion

Search tags for this page
diy snowmobile sleigh

freight sleds

generator, tow on a sled
making freight sled
snowmobile cargo sled
snowmobile cargo sleds

snowmobile freight sled plans

snowmobile freight sleds with skis

snowmobile sleigh for kids plans

snowmobile tow behind cargo sled
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.