Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

2015 1000xt vs Can Am 800 or 1000

7K views 43 replies 11 participants last post by  tiggershark 
#1 ·
I'm in the market for a new fourwheeler, because my brother bought my 650v2 from me. I'm definitely looking at upsizing and going efi. I had good luck with my 650 and my dad has had good luck with his 650H1, but I rode a can am and was blown away by the power. I'm looking at a 2015 1000xt with 0 miles on it, was just assembled for $8000 out the door. No winch but does have power steering. Now I've seen many Can Ams for right around the same price but used. What's your thoughts?

#2 ·
Do you do your own repair and maintenance?

#5 ·
If you do your own you won't like the can am. The visco lock front diff sucks. But the power is amazing. The cat is no slouch either.

#6 · (Edited)
Young man that works for me has a 2015 Can Am 1000, not the XMR. He has done right much to the Can Am, 29.5" tires, lift, programmer and exhaust. The factory rear end failed maybe 6 months ago due to a seal leak and water getting into the rear gear case. Then he busted the replacement gear set. So he spent around a grand for the XTR rear end upgrade this last time, maybe two weeks ago. They make a crap load of power. Then you add mods and bigger tires components can be stressed a little. Just throwing that out there for you to consider.

#7 ·
are you going to test ride the 1000xt? i dont think you'll be disappointed power wise of the cat. not too many wheelers that will hit 80 off the showroom floor. i bought mine as a left over in 2015 with 0 miles. i now have over 4k hard miles with no problems. its been very reliable.

#9 ·
I bought a left over 2014 XT 1000 for $7299 plus tax etc. This thing is an animal. Ride is plush (its has a 3 inch longer wheel base than the regular quads) Power steering is just right---( my neighbor owns the can am 800 and at high speeds, his is squirrelly) basically a hand full.
We never raced but they will be close. I paid more for my 09 700H1 back in early 09. The radial Bighorn 2.0 tires are a great combo for this quad, I will keep these on it.They are 26's stock. I have a winch on it, nothing else. Love it, love it love it. great quad. You cant go wrong with the 2015 XT 1000 ( basically same as my '14 )

#14 ·
I didn't race a 1000 side by side but have switched back and forth, same day same trails. My feeling was that they were close on the low to mid range. I think this is due to the 650v2 clutch type, the slip and grips seems to have a quicker throttle response. Plus mine has 4.0 gears & dynatech... After about 40mph the 1000 still has get up and go left when you punch it. It pulls much harder after 40 up to top speed.
The slightly longer wheel base, 1" smaller tires and suspension made a difference in the corners too.

The 1000 was noisey from the clutch, the 1000 TRV that was riding with us that day wasn't. I don't know why.

#11 ·
As much as i love my cat my next machine is going to be a Can am. I ride with several guys that own them and the extra power on tap is nice. Iv only seem one of them have issues with the visco loc and he was running in high and had it pinned when it caught.

#13 ·
How many in your group on can ams?

#16 ·
The wheel base was lengthened to help keep the front tires on the ground. It also made for a better ride. I have an 09 700H1 and the 1000XT will smoke it from the the get go, not even close. My 700 will smoke my brothers 650H1. The 1000 will wheelie, my 700 wheelies off the line, sometimes you have to let up or go over. I rode the can am 800 and I like my 1000 better, much better. For what they are asking, you'd kick yourself if your buddy bought it. You wont be disappointed period. I forget to mention that I put hand guards and warmers on mine also. My son says he hit 83 mph on a gravel road with it and I believe him. I hit 75 mph and ran out of road so I let off. Fast enough for me. Nice soft seat also.

#18 ·
Winch is cheap and very easy to install.

#19 · (Edited)
I have a 2014 AC 1000XT
My brother has a 2015 Outlander 800
The Can Am is a nice machine but take one for a test ride.
Note the difficulty shifting forward to reverse vs the AC. This is due to idler bearing in the primary trying to spin the belt and putting tension on the transmission gears. My brother asks if my shifter is even connected to anything
Your going to be impressed when you punch the throttle but listen to the clunking from the clutches when letting on off throttle.
This it the known as the Can Am cluck. YouTube it.
My brother couldn't stand these two issues and replaced both clutch's with aftermarket.
YouTube ViscoLok. Can Am replaced my brothers front diff.
YouTube howl in the rear differential, my brother paid to replace his. The ring and pinion were not set up properly.
He just replaced the transmission. There is a retaining bolt holding a bearing in place. The bolt came out got pinched between gears and broke the case. Google it, this is not uncommon.
Can Am looks pretty siting on the show room floor but ride it. I have never had to push my plastic in place like my brother does.
Ride in tall grass at all. He's always straightening the CV boots. grass gets wrapped around and then they spin on the axles.
They are not easy to work on. Need to unbolt the differential to remove driveshaft's. Need unbolt and move rear diff and engine to remove transmission.
Someone said he's too hard on it. I say I didn't know Can Am were so delicate.
Our machines are ridden on gravel and forest roads. Used for light farm work. We both have tracks for winter use. They are not raced but raced around.
I asked him if he had to do it all over again if he would buy another, he says yes

#20 ·
In 2015, the 1000XT listed for over 10k Right around 10,499, so $7500 is a great deal. I paid $8300 back in 09 for my 700 H1 LE ( it came with hand warmers, winch, and black metallic paint, aluminum wheels, and back then, locking front diff which is stock now) I still had to upgrade the stock tires on the 09, in '15 tires are Maxxis Bighorn's and they are great tires. So add hand guards/warmers and winch and ride it. They even have better batteries than in the past.

#22 ·
1 out of 5 broken visco locks. Hmmmm

#26 ·
None-- just ride it , its an animal. Just put another 75 miles on ours this rainy weekend. basically Friday afternoon only ( rain rain rain) but I'm thinking about selling the 09 700 and getting another 1000XT, (2015) if they have any left. the power steering is spot on perfect

#28 ·
Put 35 miles on it already. Unbelievable how torquey this thing is. I can definitely feel the wet clutch stall though. Have to get used to those rolling start wheelies. I'd like to put some sort of exhaust on it, not much of a fan of the electric sounding mufflers. You're so right on the power steering also. Much much better in my eyes than the can am power steering which feels finicky at anything over 35. Let my buddy ride it and now he's going to look at 14 XT.

#29 ·
Wet clutch stall ?

#31 ·
It does that for sure, our 09 700 will snap to life and pull the front wheels from a dead stop and sometimes you have to let off or go over backwards. The 1000Xt doesnt do that but when it comes to life, hang on. The seat is soft compared to the 09 seat which is stiff as a brick. It rides way better than the 09 700. The other thing I like about it is that its painted instead of colored plastic. It can be waxed up and really shine ( like the 09 700 ) Right now both quads are full of mud after this last weekend. We had fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.