Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

'02 300 4x4 Carburetor problems

3K views 27 replies 5 participants last post by  62ford 
#1 ·
I have a 300 4x4 '02, Bought it brand new, its never really ran right from day one, I've put a new carb on it a couple of years after I bought it, I pretty much figure to keep it somewhat driveable is take take the carb off a couple times a year clean it out, I run 2 fuel filters and strain the gas, cleaned and flush the tank. I'm at my wits end right now. It starts fine and idles, put it in 1st, doesn't want to go anywhere, like the brakes are locked up, but they're not. after feathering the throttle to get up the rpms, I can throw into 1st and take off, went thru the carb again, and can't find anything wrong. sometimes there may be a slight backfire. Which jet controls taking off? I assume the slow jet. I have a service manual but it doesn't say how the carb works, The starter jet I assume must be fine. Looking up carb parts I notice different optional jets than what came stock with it, any benefit to try something else? The carb is a Keilhin CVK 32, any help on this is greatly appreciated.
Charlie

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum.
There is lots of info on carbs in this forum. Try a search.
I do know that there are two jets that are similar to one another and if reversed can cause some run ability problems. Could be valves out of adjustment? Mouse nest in exhaust/air box? Incorrect plug? Fuel shortage to motor? I all ways need to start the bike and start running with choke on for first 100 feet, then turn of choke and all is fine. As for it seeming like brakes are on, I would jack bike off ground and check if there is any stiffness are tightness is found when turning wheels by hand in neutral. Sounds like two different issues.

#3 ·
I did a search first and didn't find much that applied to my problem, Haven't checked the valves, it rolls fine, that's not the problem, I said that to describe the no power to take off feeling, The slow jet is microscopic, the starter jet and main jet are probably the closest, but I know they're in the place. I'll check the valves. Thanks

#4 ·
Here you go. Read all the way through.
http://www.arcticchat.com/forum/pinned-topics/212576-jetting-101-a.html

Note: I cleaned my carb 6 or 7 times till I got it right so you may be cleaning it, but not well enough.

I've never heard of anyone running 2 filters? While I can understand the concept, it makes me curious as to how much it may be delaying fuel delivery. Also, try new fuel lines maybe?

#5 ·
You have the one in the tank, and I added a in-line, that's not the problem, been running one for years, the fuel line is clean, took the tank off and cleaned, I'm starting to think it might be something other than the carb. I read about the rectifier doing the same thing, need to pull it off and test it, the no power at take off is what is throwing me this time, all the carb probs over the years, this is the first time this is happening. Thanks

#6 ·
Oh, I didn't know you meant the petcock filter too. I took it as 2 in-line filters.

Was anything done to it before this happened?

Try taking the air box cover off and see if that makes a difference.
It really sounds like your jets are swapped? Can you try swapping them and let us know?

#8 ·
Manual, I'll take it back apart and check, I still have the old carb, I'll compare the two. It starts right up no problems at all, it would idle.all.day, you just can't goose the throttle, whether it's in gear or not, especially if it's in gear, you can kind of feather the throttle and eventually get it to Rev up. It's stumping me this time.

#9 ·
Check the voltage at your battery when it's running

#13 ·
Finally got my parts, they only sat In a post office in Minnesota 5 days. I adjusted the valves, they were close, went thoroughly thru the carb again, comparing another, new air/fuel mixture screw, now it really runs rough, getting a bad miss. I'm going to get a new plug and try that. But I think the problem is in the rectifier, unplugged it and tested it and its way out, any thoughts. Thanks. BTW I ordered from Country cat, they shipped next day, USPS didn't cooperate.

#14 ·
What does your voltage go up to at say 3000-4000 rpm

#16 ·
Parts came in from California in 3 days, Well I guess it was the rectifier. Running fine now, of course now its down pouring. I guess what seems like a carb problem can be electrical. Hopefully this takes care of it, want to take it for a ride..Thanks

#18 ·
I guess I'll check the valves again, the manual says between .001-.003 for the intake I set it for .002 should be ok. It was backfiring thru the carb, now I cant get it to stay running. Driving me nuts. As bad as this thing ran since I bought it new, its never been this bad.

#22 ·
Is that a mikuni carb ?

#23 ·
Have you checked to make sure choke cable is properly adjusted so as to allow choke to fully open? Also, starter valve (plunger) may be defective or may have weak/collapsed spring.

#24 ·
Keihin CVk 32 carb, I put a new cap on the end of the choke cable. Hmm starter valve, one thing I haven't checked. I may put my other carb on it to see what it does, it was the original one that always gave me trouble when it was still new, bought a replacement, still gave me trouble over the years, I pretty much realized I have to go through the carb a couple times a year, this time its different. Thanks for the input.

#25 ·
Ok, took of carb again, took the needle jet and diaphragm out of my other carb, put it all together, started right up, took it out for a ride, ran fine, 1/4 to 1/2 mile died, got it to start again and limped back, so I swapped the whole carb with my other, same thing happened 1/4 to 1/2 mile away didn't want to go anywhere. Seems to me when it get hot it doesn't want to run right. not even that hot, I just checked the coil the primary supposed to have between .1-.5 ohms its reading 0.0 the big wire to spark plug is showing in spec. I don't know whether this would cause this or not. Seems like something fried a lot of my electrical components, this whole thing started with a bad starter. Hopefully not the cdi.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.