Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

Arctic cat recall

79K views 196 replies 49 participants last post by  faltuhaii95 
#1 ·
It was brought to my attention (tc1) that cat has stepped up to the plate and has issued an across the board recall on all 2008 and early 09 front diffs. If your not the original owner call the toll free number in the link.
If you are the original owner expect a letter from cat.

Arctic Cat Initiates All-Terrain Vehicle Recall | Business Wire

#2 ·
Good to hear. Every time I ride I was always worried it would just let out and I would end up flying over the handlebars straight into a tree...

#3 ·
Safety Alert Notice
October 3, 2014

Dear Arctic Cat ATV Owner,

RE: Specific 2008 and 2009 ATV models

Our records indicate that you are a registered owner of at least one of the affected ATV’s.

What is the reason for this notice?
Internal components within the front gearcase do not meet Arctic Cat standards and must be replaced. If the internal components were to fail while operating the vehicle, the front gearcase could lock up and possibly result in property damage, personal injury, or death.

What should I do?
Stop operating your ATV immediately! Please contact an authorized Arctic Cat ATV dealership as soon as possible and make arrangements to have this very important service work completed. This service will be done at no charge to you. If you have sold the affected ATV, please contact the new owner concerning this very important matter.

We apologize for this inconvenience; however, we have taken this action in the interest of your safety and continued satisfaction of our products.

If you have any questions concerning this notice, call Arctic Cat at 1-800-279-6851.
Sincerely,
Product Service and Warranty

#4 ·
Product Safety Recall Bulletin
Date: October 1, 2014 Product Line: ATV

Bulletin No: BA201501 Subject: Front Gearcase
Bulletin No: BA201502 Subject: Front Gearcase
Bulletin No: BA201503 Subject: Front Gearcase

Affected Models: Specific 2008 ATV models (400 cc and larger); Specific 2009 ATV models (400 cc and larger) with a VIN prior to 203862 (last six characters) or within the VIN range of 808001-808137.

What is the reason for this notice?
Internal components within the front gearcase do not meet Arctic Cat standards and must be
replaced.

Solution 01: Install Front Gearcase Update Kit (p/n 0437-115) according to the instructions provided in the kit for 2008 700 H1 and 2008 Thundercat models along with 2009 700 H1, 2009 1000 H2, and 2009 400 ATV models.

Solution 02: Install Front Gearcase Update Kit (p/n 0437-116) according to the instructions provided in the kit for 2008 400 Auto and 2009 700 H1 Mud Pro models.

Solution 03: Install Front Gearcase Update Kit (p/n 0437-117) according to the instructions provided in the kit for 2008 500, 2008 650 H1, 2008 400 Manual, 2008 700 Diesel, and 2008 700 EFI models along with 2009 500, and 2009 550 H1 models.

What should you do?

Update all affected ATV’s still at your dealership. All registered owners of affected ATV’s will be
sent a letter concerning this Product Safety Recall Bulletin. If a customer contacts you concerning
this issue, please assist them in completing the necessary update.

#6 ·
Thanks for posting this info.
I am a 2nd owner of a 2009 550H1 EFI. Just called the Canada toll free # and was told mine was made after the serial #'s that were recalled so mine is OK.
Be interested to know how many dealers would contact the 2nd owner to inform them. In my instance the Cat was bought new from the same dealer as I bought it from. The original owner traded it in for a new cat with power steering.

#7 ·
Curious with a recall does AC pay for the labor and parts?

#8 ·
What should I do?
Stop operating your ATV immediately! Please contact an authorized Arctic Cat ATV dealership as soon as possible and make arrangements to have this very important service work completed. This service will be done at no charge to you. If you have sold the affected ATV, please contact the new owner concerning this very important matter.

#10 ·
You can call the toll free number with your vin

#11 ·
Ok these are 2008 models, I would imagine that a lot of these atvs front diffs have already been replaced. What would AC do about that?

I know I have rebuilt the diff in a 2008 model for a friend and I told him about this recall but were wondering what AC will do in this case. What is yalls opinions?

Im assuming this is because of the pin dropping? thats what his did.

I have another question. When I took his apart his looked just like mine did the first time I rebuilt mine years ago and its an 07, pin dropped. So what was the difference between the 07's and 08's/09's and did they really fix it late 09 and up? Pin needs to be welded solid!

#12 ·
Call the toll free number above.

#13 ·
The pin is only part of the issue, the thing that causes the ring gear to exit stage left or just make holes in the case is the side gears breaking when the diff is locked and pieces of them getting jammed between the ring and pinion.
I have changed many diff's, 3 in one bike alone but only one has actually had the pin dropped.

The entire diff is too weak.

Reactions: doorfx
#20 ·
Yep!

Thanks for the post. Looking forward to getting my letter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
LOL they have known about this for a LONG time now...someone must have got hurt and is suing there ass ..I am on my second front diff and made sure the pin was fully welded..I need to call them and see what will be done about me spending my own money to upgrade all there upgraded funky work I have dumped so much money in upgraded parts its crazy..I am now a gold certified AC mechanic because of this bike I should not know this much about these bikes I was forced to learn....I wish they would recall my entire bike I would be happy to deliver it in person....bitter party of one :)

#16 ·
Hmmm. I will call the 1-800 number on Monday to see if mine is affected. The articles I have read said ALL 2008 ATV models, but the bulletin posted here says 400cc & up. Mine is a 366. I have not received anything in the mail yet, has anybody else received anything on the 366? I bought mine new, and it has always had a clunking sound coming from the front diff area. I will post my findings after 10/20/2014.

#17 ·
Just got my letter yesterday, but read this topic weeks ago? why so long to get letter? I called my local dealer to make an appointment/drop off machine, and he has to order the parts, AND, had no idea of the recall ? So, Minnesota's deer opener is in 3 weeks, and he said he can't possibly have it fixed by then, and told me," don't ride it " I asked him what fails, or goes wrong, said he wasn't sure? Not very happy with this.......:angry:

#18 ·
Not a very knowledgable or supportive dealer. Cat sent out a notice to dealers weeks ago

#19 ·
The delay in your getting the letter after dealers get notice is supposed to be so they can get parts on the way. When a dealer gets notice of a recall it is only a couple mouse clicks to get the list of affected Vin numbers and registered owner information for units they have sold.
Outside of part availability there is no reasonable reason to not be able to get you going inside of your timeframe.

Reactions: doorfx
#23 ·
Yes and yes

#24 ·
Well, I called Arctic Cat this afternoon (10/20/2014)concerning the recall, and the good news is that they say my machine is not affected. Mine is the 366. AC says that the recall is on 400cc and up. Good luck to all of you who will be getting your machines fixed under the recall, and I hope it doesn't take too long.

#25 ·
Second or Third Owner

Will this cover persons who are not the original owner??

It is after all a safety issue.
It is also listed on the Government of Canada website as a safety recall affecting all owners.

Thanks

#26 ·
Yes ......

Reactions: Five0
#27 ·
Thanks For The Notice

Thanks for the notice about the recall.

I really appreciated the information.

Saved me time, money and maybe prevented a serious injury!

This Forum is the best!!

Thanks

#28 ·
No worries !!

#29 ·
So has anyone gotton there machine fixed yet? My dealer is waiting for parts.

#30 ·
Parts Delayed Again!!!

Dealer promised parts by Oct. 22 ... now I just got a call stating they won't be here until Nov. 12th at the earliest!!!

Dealer told me not to use machine.

Where are these parts coming from??
Do they have to make more of them due to recall ??!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.