Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

Arctic cat recall

79K views 196 replies 49 participants last post by  faltuhaii95 
#1 ·
It was brought to my attention (tc1) that cat has stepped up to the plate and has issued an across the board recall on all 2008 and early 09 front diffs. If your not the original owner call the toll free number in the link.
If you are the original owner expect a letter from cat.

Arctic Cat Initiates All-Terrain Vehicle Recall | Business Wire

#90 ·
Picking mine up this morning. It was done a week or so ago, but I didn't have time to go get it.

#91 · (Edited)
Well I was just reading thru this. I bought an 08 thundercat back in oct. Found out about the recall while I was waiting for my plow to be installed. Was told then it would be early dec before the parts came on. Called them on Monday. There still waiting for my parts. Hmmmm. This is getting a little rediculis. I'm thinking cause I didn't buy it from arctic cat that they are screwing me. Waiting for the last minute to get to me. So far I haven't had to plow with it but sooner or later I'll need it to plow!

#92 ·
They are being a super cheap corporation, didn't recall until 6 years later, and are ordering Diffs AS needed from whatever chinese place makes them and ships them on the cheapest possible sea freight.

But I'm sure they can be exempt from lawsuits if they notified the people AND the parts are coming, just in the cheapest possible way.

Typical, one step above General Motors, and that ain't saying much! Sigh, disappointing, I hope yamaha makes a big Bore one of these days, or Honda gets into Quads that are fun and not just boring Farm\work machines.

#93 ·
Even though cat didn't issue a recall they have been replacing diffs for free since 2008
In this recall they are not replacing the whole diff just the ring gear assembly with defective weld.
If you go to pro-am your going to see Ralphs employees lol they are defecting.

#96 ·
I'm not suprised Ralphs people are defective with them moving out of town and Pro-Am opening that massive building on McKnight (we'll see how the low oil prices in the foreseeable future affect that venture...)

They told me since the pin blew and broke my diff casing that will be covered too, as they did back in 2008 when most people who ride even a smidgen hard already blew theirs up. Lucky it didn't shatter and lock on me going downhill or something, I could have rolled it and died. In fact I did some monster descents after its first explosion noises from the front.

Hopefully sorted soon without more drama, would be nice to ride this thing!

#98 ·
I just called Ralphs and the backorder date is Jan17, they won't be in until the end of January......ARCTIC CAAAAAT!!!! *shakes fist!!!!*

2 months wait on the diff they sold that was unsafe and could have people killed, I have to call them and complain, this is outrageous.

#99 ·
Are you sure your not getting the run around ? I would call cat direct

#100 ·
Does anyone have a # for arctic cat customer car? the recall # just directs you to email in your thing now and I can't find a phone number anywhere, how disappointing from the company.

#102 ·
Thats what they told me would happen, a whole new diff as my case is broken open. I wonder if the dealer is putting off warranty claims that don't pay much hours in favor of snowmobile pricey servicing and repairs....
Must make calls and yell at people, Q is who to yell at.

#104 ·
Ralph's better smarten up and start treating there customers with honesty and respect. Pro am motorsports is a cat dealer now and the one horse pony show is over. Competition is always good.

#105 ·
I'm going to call ProAm the other Cat dealership on monday and ask them to talk to AC for me on getting my assembly, I think Ralphs is being lazy or putting off the low labor job on the recall.

This is my prime ATVing season, it is killing me not having this thing going, I was so freaking excited to buy it and only get 2hrs in before it blew up!!

#106 ·
They probably won't be much help right now as they are in the process of moving to their huge new building

#108 ·
I went down in person to Ralphs this morning right to service to tell them that I heard there is no backorder on the full units. they haven't done a full Diff yet and told me AC doesn't like to replace the whole thing, just the "update". And is my quad here now? they would need to check it out. I barked that I had already dragged it down there pissing diff fluid to be checked out and I don't want AC coming back at me telling me I broke it myself hooning around, and this thing needs to get done. Anyways they said it had been shipped, although shipped from Where who knows...I don't think they shipped the whole Diff, BS, the guy said he'd call AC and check.

Rediculous, how disappointing from them on this recall, or maybe its Ralphs.

also looked at the new XR, I don't get it, it was right next to a previous gen chassis, they look almost the same underneath, it looks like a reskin to me, but who knows.

#109 ·
I went down in person to Ralphs this morning right to service to tell them that I heard there is no backorder on the full units. they haven't done a full Diff yet and told me AC doesn't like to replace the whole thing, just the "update". And is my quad here now? they would need to check it out. I barked that I had already dragged it down there pissing diff fluid to be checked out and I don't want AC coming back at me telling me I broke it myself hooning around, and this thing needs to get done. Anyways they said it had been shipped, although shipped from Where who knows...I don't think they shipped the whole Diff, BS, the guy said he'd call AC and check.

Rediculous, how disappointing from them on this recall, or maybe its Ralphs.

also looked at the new XR, I don't get it, it was right next to a previous gen chassis, they look almost the same underneath, it looks like a reskin to me, but who knows.
Suspension is totally changed. Frame has been lengthend but overall length is shorter. Engine position has changed to give more foot room.
ArcticInsider - New-for-2015: Arctic Cat XR Model ATVs

So much more than a re-skin as you say.

#110 ·
I know of two guys that had there whole diff replaced at Ralphs due to the pin failure so they are feeding you a huge line of BS. I probably still have the emails. Did you speak to Chad?

#111 ·
Just picked up my machine from having the recall work done. Waited over 2 months for the parts.
Before they would let me take it they told me I owed $17.39 for the shipping of the parts to them. Guy said we didn't sell these things so he's not eating the cost. Dealer I bought mine at went out of business so this was a different one.
I called Arctic Cat CS. Lady I talked to got back with me a little later and said yes they charge shipping and was nothing she could do about it. WTF?!?!?!?
Has anyone else had to pay the shipping? Seems totally wrong to me. I don't blame the dealer. Depending on the number of machines he has to do that could add up $ wise.
Should I chalk it up as a $17.39 surcharge for buying their flawed atv in the 1st place or pursue it farther. It's not the money, it's the principal.

#112 ·
I can't believe they charged you shipping on the replacement of their dangerous defect they waited 6yrs to formally recall, that is totally outrageous. I'd just pay it and move on with your life, and remember how you were treated next time you goto buy an ATV.

Hey DoorFX I did speak to Chad today, he said that AC is reluctant to replace entire Diff assemblies and they had to verify the guts inside the new diffs aren't the recall ones. I said that it was well know at AC the defective pin welds and there sure as heck better not be anymore of those left around. He also tried to give me some line about my ATV being there, and they'd HAVE to inspect it. I said I already dragged it down there so they could get my VIN and see my cracked diff leaking fluid and its a bloody pain to cart that blown diff machine around. I also told them I am not going to let AC screw me on the diff being my fault and not their faulty welds.

I think he looked at my shipping date, order, knew they have been putting me off or screwed it up and was giving me excuses. You know when I was looking for a new Quad, I looked at a Grizzly, KingQuad, Brute Force, Polaris, and every forum I read said that having a good dealer is KEY, especially if you buy new. Polaris is apparently notorious for trying to weasle out of warranty work.

I wish I could say this has gone well with AC, but so disappointing. Time for Honda and Yamaha to step up their game and build some bigger bore machines to expand the choice from just AC\BRP\Polaris.

#113 ·
The dealer charging shipping is boning you because they can, not much Cat can do about that.

As for your bike Kingsoup, you are dealing with a horrible dealer, seeing your cracked diff I would have ordered a complete and there wouldn't be anything else said about it.

Reactions: doorfx
#114 ·
Got mine back from Dealer yesterday for the recall fix along with some other repairs. Dealer that I purchased from is no longer an AC Dealer so tried this new Dealer. Warranty work was all free, no charge for shipping parts. Labor to fix the other repairs was only for .5 hours as most had to be removed to fix the recall. Was happy with Dealer.

#116 ·
Your dealer is an ass. Report it to cat.
Get a new dealer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.