NavbitArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » General ATV Discussion » what are wheel spacers and purpose?

General ATV Discussion Discussion Forum for Arctic Cat ATVs

Old 04-23-2011, 08:19 AM   #1

what are wheel spacers and purpose?

What do they do
daaanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-23-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
Sled: Soon To Be 06 F7,Orange,Cant Wait
ATV: 2006 ARCTIC CAT 500
2007 Mileage: 00
i would imagine they just add a little width,like if you had a car ten ft high,and a 1' wheel base lol,it wouldnt stay up,if you had a 10' car and a 5' wheel base it would stay up, when you put larger tires on it changes the rollover factor by changing the center of gravity,so even a couple inches make it more stable. this is my theory it makes sense to me lol. as for what they are,i think i saw them and they were like little plastic circles,ive never really looked into them but i think i clicked on them on ebay once. if you took a pipe of pvc and cut a 2 inch piece thats what these things kind of looked like,obv dif material and higher strength

Last edited by ARCTICCAT781; 04-23-2011 at 09:10 AM.
ARCTICCAT781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:36 AM   #3

That's what I thought but was unsure
daaanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
ATV: 06 700efi SE, 07 700efi, 07 500auto

They install between onto your factory studs. They can give you added stability and is a cheaper way to off set your wheels. The bad thing about them is they can be the weakest link between your wheel and your hub. They also affect your steering and give you less steering that the stock set up. I used to run Highlifter spacers 1in. front and 1.5in rear but have had them off for over a year now, don't really notice much difference.
2006 ARCTIC CAT 700EFI SE (Now belongs to Dad) Burnt Orange, AC shock covers & hand guards, WARN 2500 w/ Amsteel rope, AC bumpers, 27" XTR's on 14" machined ITP 7's, SpeedRack backrest, front & rear rack extensions, reverse light, AC heated grips, 60" American Eagle plow. "Sanny SteerLites" and shock bushings
2007 ARCTIC CAT 700 EFI: Marsh Green, AC shock covers & hand guards, WARN 2500 w/ Amsteel rope, AC bumpers, 25" Bighorns on 12" ITP SS108's /25" MudLites on 12" ITP 7's black, Highlifter wheel spacers 1" front 1.5" rear, AC heated grips, 6K HID's, Odyssey PC680, 60" AC tapered plow. "Sanny SteerLites" and full suspension bushings.
2007 ARCTIC CAT 500 Auto: Red, AC bumpers, AC hand guards, WARN 2500, 25" Bear Claws on 12" ITP SS106's, PowerStar PS680.
JD700EFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #5

ATV: ThunderLemon 1000
2008 Mileage: Depends upon Fa
Although a wider track does have benefits there are some negatives to consider. Spacers also apply more pressure or leverage against wheel bearings. Possibly leading to early wheel bearing failure. The wider the spacer the worse the extra leverage will be.

Spacers on the front end increase what the suspension guru's call "Scrub Radius" this can lead to more wheel kick in the ruts causing the handle bar to rip out of your hands more easily. Can also increase the effort required to turn.

Scrub radius - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Troubleshooting First Steps, An amazing number of problems are cured with just these two items.

1. Make sure your battery is FULLY Charged.
2. Try a new spark plug.

Search threads, Check Pinned Section. Pinned Topics Manual or wiring diagram? Manuals
http://countrycat.com/ccstore/index...._Diagrams.html

Improving Search.

Better results when searching for specific information. To find threads where ALL the words, instead of ANY of the words "650H1, Carb, Jetting, Needle Jet, Snorkel" were found...Open up a search window in www.google.com In the find box type without the quotes "650H1 Carb Jetting Needle Jet Snorkel site:Arcticchat.com" & Press return. Find threads, replies or topics by a specific member; just by inserting their user name into the search list; Chances are, your problem is NOT unique and it has been solved many times before.

Are you in a hurry to get an answer?
Use the Google Search Tip
Wyo_H1_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:26 AM   #6
CJM

ATV: 09 700 le
2008 Mileage: 500
 Quote: Originally Posted by Wyo_H1_Cat View Post
Although a wider track does have benefits there are some negatives to consider. Spacers also apply more pressure or leverage against wheel bearings. Possibly leading to early wheel bearing failure. The wider the spacer the worse the extra leverage will be.

Spacers on the front end increase what the suspension guru's call "Scrub Radius" this can lead to more wheel kick in the ruts causing the handle bar to rip out of your hands more easily. Can also increase the effort required to turn.

Scrub radius - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You are right on the mark as always Wyo. Just want to add that i have spcers on my 7001 and have found that they actually improve the ride, geneal that is, turnign is a bit more stressed, but over all ride is better. not sure of the physics behind it, but the ride quality is greatly improved.
PSC PRIMARY
POWER COMMANDER PCIII USB.
MUD PRO SNORKELS
MODDED PIPE
CJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
ATV: '08 TRV 500
2010 Mileage: 3300 km
2009 Mileage: 3000 km
 Quote: Originally Posted by CJM View Post
You are right on the mark as always Wyo. Just want to add that i have spcers on my 7001 and have found that they actually improve the ride, geneal that is, turnign is a bit more stressed, but over all ride is better. not sure of the physics behind it, but the ride quality is greatly improved.

What size spacers do you use?
Custom diamond plate storage boxes | Powermadd handguards | Quadrax 2500 lbs winch | Moose Hand/Thumb warmers | Sanny circuit breakers | 26" interco swamplites on stock rims | Yuasa Battery | Sanny A-arm bushings w/ grease fittings | 2" flex lift | Snorkels | Looped crank vent mod | Custom audio setup | Arctic Cat block heater | Engine Ice coolant | Front and rear brush guard bumpers | Battery Tender jr | ///Airdam stage 1 | Speedwerx 42# stall springs | Amsteel Blue synthetic rope | UHMW hawse fairlead | UNI Air filter | Engine Brake Deleted | Xentec 6000k HIDs| 55w Halogen Reverse light | The Whoolie Shop LED's | LED high beam bulbs | Fuel filter | 3/16" Aluminum skid plate | Modded stock exhaust | Dynojet Kit-144 main-42 pilot-Needle on 3rd notch | Ride in springs

Terry Slaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #8

ATV: 2008 700
2008 Mileage: 1250
2007 Mileage: not enough!
Instead of spacers,you can purchase offset wheels. This would be the thing to do if one was going to buy new wheels anyways as the spacers do make for a weaker point. I have a 1"offset(each side) so 2" wider. As mentioned the atv handles better by far. Ive had offset wheels on all my atvs right from the start since 1999. Going to a wider stance also gives a better leverage towards hitting rocks,logs,bumps,ect...and could bend a tie rod if not careful. On the other hand, i have never bent one,so cat must make some tuff equipment.
mudslinginfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:12 PM   #9

ATV: ThunderLemon 1000
2008 Mileage: Depends upon Fa
 Quote: Originally Posted by Terry Slaney View Post
What size spacers do you use?
Myself I only have the aftermarket wheel with less back space so both ATV's front and back have a 2" wider track over stock. I like what the extra two inches gives a lot though. The forest trails are limited to 50" wide maximum in some places. My tires are wider than 50" but the measurement from rim lip to rim lip is under 50" about 49 3/4" so still can squeeze through the 50" gates. I'm just leery of going any wider due to added stress and would prevent me from riding the 50" trails in the national forests.<Grin>

Troubleshooting First Steps, An amazing number of problems are cured with just these two items.

1. Make sure your battery is FULLY Charged.
2. Try a new spark plug.

Search threads, Check Pinned Section. Pinned Topics Manual or wiring diagram? Manuals
http://countrycat.com/ccstore/index...._Diagrams.html

Improving Search.

Better results when searching for specific information. To find threads where ALL the words, instead of ANY of the words "650H1, Carb, Jetting, Needle Jet, Snorkel" were found...Open up a search window in www.google.com In the find box type without the quotes "650H1 Carb Jetting Needle Jet Snorkel site:Arcticchat.com" & Press return. Find threads, replies or topics by a specific member; just by inserting their user name into the search list; Chances are, your problem is NOT unique and it has been solved many times before.

Are you in a hurry to get an answer?
Use the Google Search Tip
Wyo_H1_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #10
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
ATV: '08 TRV 500
2010 Mileage: 3300 km
2009 Mileage: 3000 km
ah gotcha. I am getting a set of ride in shocks for my trv so It will be lifted up another inch. Was thinking about getting one inch wheel spaces for all corners but a new set of aftermarket rims and tires are coming soon also so the added width aftermarket wheels give should be enough.
Custom diamond plate storage boxes | Powermadd handguards | Quadrax 2500 lbs winch | Moose Hand/Thumb warmers | Sanny circuit breakers | 26" interco swamplites on stock rims | Yuasa Battery | Sanny A-arm bushings w/ grease fittings | 2" flex lift | Snorkels | Looped crank vent mod | Custom audio setup | Arctic Cat block heater | Engine Ice coolant | Front and rear brush guard bumpers | Battery Tender jr | ///Airdam stage 1 | Speedwerx 42# stall springs | Amsteel Blue synthetic rope | UHMW hawse fairlead | UNI Air filter | Engine Brake Deleted | Xentec 6000k HIDs| 55w Halogen Reverse light | The Whoolie Shop LED's | LED high beam bulbs | Fuel filter | 3/16" Aluminum skid plate | Modded stock exhaust | Dynojet Kit-144 main-42 pilot-Needle on 3rd notch | Ride in springs

Terry Slaney is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » General ATV Discussion

Search tags for this page

purpose of wheel spacers

what are atv wheel spacers
what are wheel spacers used for atv
what do spacers do on a car
what do wheel spacers do for atvs

what does wheel spacers do

what is the point of atv wheel spacers
what is the purpose of atv wheel spacers
what is the purpose of wheel spacers
what the purpose of wheel spacer
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.