NavbitArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » General ATV Discussion » gas not going to spark plug

General ATV Discussion Discussion Forum for Arctic Cat ATVs

Old 03-29-2011, 06:23 AM   #1

gas not going to spark plug

so im about to go check out my bike and i really want to get it going for a ride today, i have checked there is spark, its a new plug, i have the gas valve on, i have checked to make sure the gas is flowing, its going into the carb but then it doesnt travel into the head(spark plug) heres a pic of my carb diagram i know sanny told me it might be my slide thats sticking but i dunno what that is so if someone could point out the number on here

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 03-29-2011, 07:02 AM   #2

so if i have my reading right,
the diaphragm pumps fuel from the tank into the float then goes through the jets to the cylinder?

so that means if no gas is going to my cylinder it has to be my jets that are dirty...

so should i put gas down where the airfilter goes on the carb and see if it starts, if that works its my jets that need a good cleaning rite?
Old 03-29-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
ATV: None
Fuel flows from the tank to the carb. The float governs when and how much fuel is delivered to the bowl. As fuel collects in the bowl, the float raises and pushes the float needle into the needle seat, therefore cutting off the fuel supply to the carb. That's why if you have crud wedged in the needle/seat area or have a sticking float that you'll have fuel drip from the overflow tube as it's causing excess fuel to run into the bowl.

So, now you have fuel in your bowl. The jets allow fuel to get sucked up from the bowl and get mixed with the incoming air and get delivered to the cylinder. You have a needle connected to a slide (also called a diaphragm on your carb). This needle goes down into the main jet. It "plugs" the main jet when the slide is all the way down. As you give it throttle, the slide rises up, and the needle too rises, and unplugs the main jet. This is where the taper of the needle comes into play. The higher the slide moves, the less the needle is restricting fuel from the main jet.

Does that help?
Sanny651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:12 AM   #4

so im pretty sure its getting gas in the head now, cause when i pulled the plug after a few starts today it smelt of gas and when i rubbed it on my palm it left a bit of resadue, but its still not starting however.,. i made a video of trying to start it i dont think itll help much but its worth a try i guess

Old 03-29-2011, 12:36 PM   #5

ATV: ThunderLemon 1000
2008 Mileage: Depends upon Fa
 Quote: Originally Posted by acidburn View Post
so im pretty sure its getting gas in the head now, cause when i pulled the plug after a few starts today it smelt of gas and when i rubbed it on my palm it left a bit of resadue, but its still not starting however.,. i made a video of trying to start it i dont think itll help much but its worth a try i guess

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
Sounds like there is very little engine compression. May be valve adjustment may be bad rings or a combination of both. A compression test is the only way to determine if it's within specs.

Troubleshooting First Steps, An amazing number of problems are cured with just these two items.

1. Make sure your battery is FULLY Charged.
2. Try a new spark plug.

Search threads, Check Pinned Section. Pinned Topics Manual or wiring diagram? Manuals
http://countrycat.com/ccstore/index...._Diagrams.html

Improving Search.

Better results when searching for specific information. To find threads where ALL the words, instead of ANY of the words "650H1, Carb, Jetting, Needle Jet, Snorkel" were found...Open up a search window in www.google.com In the find box type without the quotes "650H1 Carb Jetting Needle Jet Snorkel site:Arcticchat.com" & Press return. Find threads, replies or topics by a specific member; just by inserting their user name into the search list; Chances are, your problem is NOT unique and it has been solved many times before.

Are you in a hurry to get an answer?
Use the Google Search Tip
Wyo_H1_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:33 PM   #6

i think your right wyo, my battery was getting near dead so i decided today to use the pull start and it pulled very easy for not using the compressor in fact id say it felt like i was pulling with the compressor on when it was infact off.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:47 PM   #7

so my buddy is saying it sounds like my bike jumped timing when i parked it, and he also said because iv been running jetted wrong that i may of burnt a hole in my piston but he doesnt think that happend? any one wanna chime in on this?
Old 03-30-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
ATV: None
If you were jetted too lean for too long, you could have damage your valves or piston. Run a compression check.
Sanny651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:46 AM   #9

alright so im about to go out and "borrow" LOL a compression tester from canadian tire and my buddy told me to do this to narrow down the problem,

"add a teaspoon of oil to the cylinder and retest the compression. If it goes up dramatically the rings are bad, if not then the valves are leaking or you have a blown headgasket."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » General ATV Discussion

Search tags for this page
fuel from carb to getting to spark plug

fuel not getting to spark plugs

fuel not reaching spark plugs

moped getting gas to the carburetor but not to the spark plug
moped no gas to plug

no fuel getting to spark plug

no fuel to spark plug

no gas getting to spark plug

no gas going to sparkplug on chainsaw
why doesnt my ds650 get gas to the spark plug
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.