Team ArcticChat
ATV: '01 AC 300 4x4 finished project
2010 Mileage: 100-150
2009 Mileage: 30-50
2008 Mileage: ---
2007 Mileage: -----
2006 Mileage: -------
 Quote: Originally Posted by acidburn View Post
fairlane, can you tell me what color green you used on the a-arm's if you did that yourself.
Spray bomb green from Lowe's. Valspar Garden Green.
12" Vision Mini-Truck rims
26" GBC Dirt Devil 2 XT's (rear)
25" Interco Swamp Lites (front)
CVMAN HD CV Axles
Moose 1.5" Lift kit
Moose Ball Joints
AC Chrome front bumper/brushguard
AC Chrome rear bumper
within-frame LED lighting
LED tail and corner lights
600CCA Car battery
Custom Fab front rack
Top end rebuild
more to come...
fairlane_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #12

Sled: 2012 Silverado LT Crew 4X4
ATV: 07 JD Gator 855D
2010 Mileage: 400
2009 Mileage: 451
2008 Mileage: 250
2007 Mileage: 112
 Quote: Originally Posted by fairlane_68 View Post
Wrong. It'll charge at 14 volts nominal all day long. It'll last longer, run headlights and a winch without flickering, and have endless cranking power...and I just have the $60 off-the-shelf 600 amp cheapo battery. I don't have body panels, so mine sits on a custom fabbed mount plate right under my rear rack. I forgot to mention that it's maintenance-free.

It will charge at 14volts and how many amps, five????? Not many. So your charge isn't what you think it is.

ATV's are NOT designed to charge car batteries, as far as I know they don't even have alternators and use the magneto to create charging power and thats based on rpm's, so you would have to be running at max rpms to create max. charging power to the batt.

Don't run a car battery.
garry830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:34 PM   #13
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
 Quote: Originally Posted by garry830 View Post
It will charge at 14volts and how many amps, five????? Not many. So your charge isn't what you think it is.

ATV's are NOT designed to charge car batteries, as far as I know they don't even have alternators and use the magneto to create charging power and thats based on rpm's, so you would have to be running at max rpms to create max. charging power to the batt.

Don't run a car battery.

Great...a know-it-all. I think I know my ATV better than you do, and it runs a car battery just fine. It charges at the same rate that it would as if it had a NEW motorcycle/ATV battery, only the car battery doesn't weaken over time like an ATV battery does, nor does it have the parasitic draw that motorcycle/ATV batteries develop over time. 12 volts is 12 volts, and an amp is an amp no matter what.
CVMAN HD CV Axles
Moose 1.5" Lift kit
Moose Ball Joints
AC Chrome rear bumper
600CCA Car battery
Custom Fab front rack
Top end rebuild
more to come...
Old 02-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #14

Sled: 2012 Silverado LT Crew 4X4
ATV: 07 JD Gator 855D
2010 Mileage: 400
2009 Mileage: 451
2008 Mileage: 250
2007 Mileage: 112
Hey Fairlane...sorry man, not saying I know it all, but you really have to think about it.

IF.....you could charge a car battery via an ATV, then why wouldn't car manf. use the same system???

If it works for you, thats great....just not something I would not do based on my logic. Not saying I'm right on, but something to think about.

Thats what its all about here....voice your opinion and lets talk about it.

Last edited by garry830; 02-08-2011 at 07:51 PM.
garry830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #15

ATV: 2006 400 Lime
I run a series 29(?) auto battery.. I modified a rear bumper and welded a "battery box" on it.. I've never had a problem with the ac 400 at 16 amps charging system, charging the 500 CCA(could be more...I'd have to Look) battery I use for plowing, starting, HID's and hand warmers... I always wanted to run a deep cycle but haven't had the ambition to swap out the battery.... nor the cash.... The added weight of the battery over the rear axle helps much with plowing....

keep in mind with just plowing, running no lights or warmers, the charging system should handle it.... your not gonna run the wnich continuios only sporaticly.... so your not taxing the charging system at full load for any duration....

the charging system doesn't care if it's a 100 CCA Power wheels battery or a 1000 CCA Super Deep Cycle Marine battery... it'll charge it...

at any rate, I do periodically check the full load draw of the battery, and test the max output of the charging system at least twice a year... no problem thus far.. been 4 seasons of plowing....
"If everyone in the whole world had the same skin color, hair color and eye color, if we were all the same religion, if we all had the same favorite sports teams, drank the same beer, drove the same car, and spoke the same language, if we all hung our toilet paper the same way, listened to the same music, had the same hat size, and used the same toothpaste, mankind would......still divide into at least two groups and find a reason to kill each other.".... Brian Nelson

Last edited by Green4004x4; 02-08-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Green4004x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #16

while were on subjext of the battery, anyone know some good lights, i want REALLY bright lights.
acidburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:58 AM   #17
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
ATV: '08 TRV 500
2010 Mileage: 3300 km
2009 Mileage: 3000 km
 Quote: Originally Posted by acidburn View Post
while were on subjext of the battery, anyone know some good lights, i want REALLY bright lights.

HIDS are the way to go. 880/881 bulb size.
Custom diamond plate storage boxes | Powermadd handguards | Quadrax 2500 lbs winch | Moose Hand/Thumb warmers | Sanny circuit breakers | 26" interco swamplites on stock rims | Yuasa Battery | Sanny A-arm bushings w/ grease fittings | 2" flex lift | Snorkels | Looped crank vent mod | Custom audio setup | Arctic Cat block heater | Engine Ice coolant | Front and rear brush guard bumpers | Battery Tender jr | ///Airdam stage 1 | Speedwerx 42# stall springs | Amsteel Blue synthetic rope | UHMW hawse fairlead | UNI Air filter | Engine Brake Deleted | Xentec 6000k HIDs| 55w Halogen Reverse light | The Whoolie Shop LED's | LED high beam bulbs | Fuel filter | 3/16" Aluminum skid plate | Modded stock exhaust | Dynojet Kit-144 main-42 pilot-Needle on 3rd notch | Ride in springs

Terry Slaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #18
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
 Quote: Originally Posted by garry830 View Post
Hey Fairlane...sorry man, not saying I know it all, but you really have to think about it.

IF.....you could charge a car battery via an ATV, then why wouldn't car manf. use the same system???

If it works for you, thats great....just not something I would not do based on my logic. Not saying I'm right on, but something to think about.

Thats what its all about here....voice your opinion and lets talk about it.
Space constraints. Remember that the AC 700 Diesel uses a real alternator. Automotive electrical systems work as a "surface charge" system. An alternator that charges at 20-30 amps isn't going to fully recharge a battery, it'll put what's called a surface charge on it that acts as a buffer for the rest of the system so that any new loads (like turning on the headlights) don't drain the battery's capacity. The bigger the battery, the bigger the buffer. Another thing to remember is to look at most shelf battery chargers. They all have different settings to charge at, but they all have a "trickle" setting that charges at 2 amps or less. The slower a battery is recharged, the deeper the charge, and the longer it lasts. If an ATV's charging system is rated at a 5 amp recharge rate, which it isn't, it puts a deeper charge on the battery. Also, motorcycle/ATV charging systems aren't that much different from an automotive system. The internals of an alternator have the same parts as the charging system on an ATV, they're just all encased in one part. ATV systems still have to convert AC power to DC, and they still have to regulate the voltage just like cars and trucks do.

...and I've jump started my truck with my Cat before, it didn't even flutter.
CVMAN HD CV Axles
Moose 1.5" Lift kit
Moose Ball Joints
AC Chrome rear bumper
600CCA Car battery
Custom Fab front rack
Top end rebuild
more to come...

Last edited by fairlane_68; 02-09-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #19
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
Sled: 1994 Puma 340 DLX
ATV: Popo 400 Sportsman
I have it mounted on my rear rack. It is handy when plowing. I do hook up a charger once a week or so just to "top it off". Been working like this for 3 years.
Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #20
pcaccessories

...and I've jump started my truck with my Cat before, it didn't even flutter.[/QUOTE]

Forgive me if I''m wrong, but I swear I read on here in the past that if you try to jump start a car with your ATV running you'll fry your CDI box unless you unhook the battery. Maybe I'm confused, just verifying. Not looking to start a pissing contest as there's been plenty of them on here lately.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » General ATV Discussion

Search tags for this page

can i jumpstart a 4 wheeler with my car

can i jumpstart a four wheeler with a car
can i use car battery on my atv

can you put a car batterie in a 4wheeler

can you run a atv with a car battery
car battery on atv
how to jump start battery on 2012 grizzly 550

is it ok to mount a car battery on an atv

using car battery on four wheeler

what would happen if you put 12volt battery on a 6volt fourwheeler system

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.