General ATV Discussion Discussion Forum for Arctic Cat ATVs

Old 01-31-2011, 11:26 AM   #1

Angry CDI testing

I have a 2006 Arctic Cat ATV 400 regular model. I had it in for service to a dealer who diagnosed a faulty CDI unit (part number 3402-683)

I replaced the CDI with what I think was a good working CDI and it ran for a while then wouldn't start again. I have 2 CDI units that are suspect and would like have them tested reliably.

I tried calling the factory, they don't want to talk to you and refer you to dealers. Dealers have no way to test the units other than simple remove and replace.

Does anyone know who can test these units properly?

I am very unhappy with Arctic Cat shirking their responsibility to dealers and dealers not having a clue how to do the job correctly.
timotb is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-31-2011, 11:51 AM   #2

what problem are you having with your atv not starting or stumble. or not running when gets hot. i have worked on cats for 8 years and never seen a bad cdi box on a arctic cat atv not to say that they don't go bad. does it do it with both cdi boxes.

Last edited by 07 400; 01-31-2011 at 11:53 AM.
07 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
Banned

Banned
ATV: 98 300 4x4
There is no way to test other than just replace and see if that rectifies the problem. But like above post elaborate on the symptoms and perhaps we can help!!!
taker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:04 PM   #4

The problem started out a year ago with occasional "stumbling." I thought it was water or ethanol causing a fuel problem. Then driving down the road one day, a loud backfire and no start. Amazingly it started after it sat for a while.....ran then quit and wouldn't start. Someone suggested dirt in the Carb.

I took it to a local dealer who said it was the CDI. He reported no spark initially. He also verified magneto magnets are intact and working correctly. He got it running with his new CDI, I found a so called new CDI on ebay. It started successfully after a few attempts and ran for awhile. Now I'm back to the same old problem...wont start.

Either there is a secondary underlying problem here or my replacement CDI is also defective. I would like to verify these CDIs. Are they ever intermittent? ....or do they work or not work.

I dont accept that these CDI's cant be tested. Someone manufactured them, Cat put them on their machines, someone has to stand behind them. Cat should stand by them if no one else can. Cat is too hard to get a hold of.

My next plan is to take it back to the Dealer and see if he can start it with his CDI, if so then swap my CDI and see if it works also. Not sure how I can negotiate this with him.

Last edited by timotb; 01-31-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:08 PM   #5
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
ATV: None
My first thoughts are coil or magneto or loose/dirty connection somewhere.

The 400's are known for having the magnets fall off the magneto (they don't all do it, but enough of them have where it doesn't surprise me anymore).
Sanny651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:01 PM   #6

I forgot to add, the dealer verified magneto magnets are intact and working correctly.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:24 PM   #7

you can test the voltage coming out of a stator into cdi box and out of cdi box and to the coil. you have to use a digital volt meter and buy a dva (direct voltage adaptor)Snap on sells them and MAC tools i think they cost about $50.00 with this you test all electroincs running or cranking.
07 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:29 PM   #8
Team ArcticChat
Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
Sled: 2010 M8 Sno Pro Limited Edition
ATV: 2010 Thundercat 1000
If you know of someone with a similar machine just swap out his working cdi with yours. Question asked and answered all at once and then you know if you dealer was full o s!
Thundercat 1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:50 PM   #9

Quote: Originally Posted by 07 400 View Post
you can test the voltage coming out of a stator into cdi box and out of cdi box and to the coil. you have to use a digital volt meter and buy a dva (direct voltage adaptor)Snap on sells them and MAC tools i think they cost about $50.00 with this you test all electroincs running or cranking.
An excellent idea I might present delicately to my dealer at some point.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #10

I have a 2006 AC 400 Auto. Sounds like the same problem. Mine will pop a few times then stop running. Won't start again. If I mess around with the coil it will start up again. I thought it was fuel so I drained the tank and it ran for a time after that. The last time this happened I checked the spark and found none. There is high voltage coming into the primary coil leads. When it starts it starts very easy, I was also thinking of replacing the CDI unit. I have ordeded a coil and plan to try that also. Anyone have any help?? I have not checked the magnets because it seems to run fine then out of nowwhere stops running...
pellmauid is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » General ATV Discussion

Search tags for this page
3402-683

arctic cat cdi box test

arctic cat cdi problems
arctic cat cdi test
artic cat 400 cdi box
artic cat cdi box
cdi box symptoms
diagnose cdi polaris atv
polaris cdi box testing
what is the cdi on my arctic cat atv
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.