General ATV Discussion Discussion Forum for Arctic Cat ATVs

Old 01-31-2011, 09:44 AM   #1

1997 Bearcat 454

I recently rescued a 97 bearcat 454 basket case. Rebuilt both front, and rear diffs, rebuilt one front axle, replaced the other, replaced a bad shock, bad front knuckle, bad front hub, replaced all wheel bearings, and seals, and replaced a bad gasket on the left crankcase cover to fix an oil leak.
Ran around with it all day having fun. Parked it, then found a couple days later the float needle in the carb stuck, and filled my crankcase with gas. I had left the fuel shutoff on because the tiny handle on the old one was broken off (one peice unit). I installed a new fuel shutoff in the tank, the new one has a large plastic knob, that is easier to reach up under the tank.

So I decided to clean the carb for two reasons, first, the leaking float needle flooding the motor, second, the choke did not seem to act right to me. Here's what it did before I serviced the carb. The choke is a lever on the left hand grip. It activates a cable that goes into the side of the Mikuni carb, and moves a tiny piston with a pin on the end of it in/out of a shaft on the carb. After it would start and get hot, if I would push the lever upwards, the RPM's would rise to the point the engine would race. This seemed odd to me, I'm used to chokes killing engines when they are hot. I tore down the carb, and found the spring on the top of the diaphragm broken in 2 pieces. I also found the carb dirty, especially the screen at the float bowl inlet point. I also found no spring present where that little choke plunger hooks on the choke cable, even though the parts breakdown shows one. I replaced both springs, inspected the diaphragm, flat slide and needle for wear, removed, and cleaned all jets, pilot screw, soaked the carb, and reassembled everything. At this point I should mention the airbox assembly was missing when I got the machine, and I will be taking care of that soon. I do not mind running it without the air filter in the winter. Since the rework on the carb, I can only start it cold by covering the air inlet side of the carb with my glove, acting as a makeshift choke butterfly. Once it warms up, it will idle, and drive fine, but moving the choke lever up still makes it race. I also am not sure of the pilot screw setting. I don't know if its running way to lean, or if the choke lever is even supposed to work the way it does. Is the fact the two air vent lines are not attached to the missing airbox a potential issue? Any thought are welcome, especially if you own a 97 454. Tell me how your choke lever works for starters (lol)!
stevewatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-31-2011, 11:41 AM   #2

when you say you push up on choke lever you mean towards the front of machine or torwards the rear of machine.when you pull lever to the rear of machine just a little bite the rpm will rise a little. when the machine gets warm it should go back to normal. if you drill out the choke jet out of the bottom of carb 2 sizes bigger it will start alot better.arctic cat also had a primer update kit to help aid in starting.
07 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 07 400 For This Useful Post:
stevewatr (01-31-2011)
Old 01-31-2011, 01:13 PM   #3

Quote: Originally Posted by 07 400 View Post
when you say you push up on choke lever you mean towards the front of machine or torwards the rear of machine.when you pull lever to the rear of machine just a little bite the rpm will rise a little. when the machine gets warm it should go back to normal. if you drill out the choke jet out of the bottom of carb 2 sizes bigger it will start alot better.arctic cat also had a primer update kit to help aid in starting.
If I have the lever rotated up/forward the machine will not start, warm or cold, and when it is idling/running with the lever down/rearward, it seems okay, but moving the lever upwards toward the front makes the RPM's rise. When I first got the machine, I thought it was a cruise control (lol)
Old 01-31-2011, 02:11 PM   #4

ATV: ThunderLemon 1000
2008 Mileage: Depends upon Fa
 Quote:
At this point I should mention the airbox assembly was missing when I got the machine, and I will be taking care of that soon. I do not mind running it without the air filter in the winter. Since the rework on the carb, I can only start it cold by covering the air inlet side of the carb with my glove, acting as a makeshift choke butterfly. Once it warms up, it will idle, and drive fine, but moving the choke lever up still makes it race. I also am not sure of the pilot screw setting. I don't know if its running way to lean, or if the choke lever is even supposed to work the way it does. Is the fact the two air vent lines are not attached to the missing airbox a potential issue?
Running without an Airbox could be the cause. From the factory the carburetor was jetted for near optimum to include the airbox. With no airbox, you have changed the airflow characteristics entering the engine. This can change the venturi vacuum and velocity of air passing through the venturi which can create the problem you are experiencing because the pressure differential between the fuel bowl and the manifold are changed outside the design parameters. It requires engine vacuum and air velocity within design parameters to correctly suck fuel out of the float bowl.

Some have tried to eliminate the airbox when installing snorkel tubes and rejetting accordingly. They usually fail. Seems like the space inside or volume of air inside the airbox is necessary to make a CV carburetor behave and operate properly.

The RPM increase when you close the choke is an indication of being lean on the pilot and PMS setting.

While it may be possible to rejet to get it to run properly without an airbox, you'd have to rejet again once you get an airbox and filter installed. I'd recommend you get the airbox and filter installed first.

Troubleshooting First Steps, An amazing number of problems are cured with just these two items.

1. Make sure your battery is FULLY Charged.
2. Try a new spark plug.

Search threads, Check Pinned Section. Pinned Topics Manual or wiring diagram? Manuals
http://countrycat.com/ccstore/index...._Diagrams.html

Improving Search.

Better results when searching for specific information. To find threads where ALL the words, instead of ANY of the words "650H1, Carb, Jetting, Needle Jet, Snorkel" were found...Open up a search window in www.google.com In the find box type without the quotes "650H1 Carb Jetting Needle Jet Snorkel site:Arcticchat.com" & Press return. Find threads, replies or topics by a specific member; just by inserting their user name into the search list; Chances are, your problem is NOT unique and it has been solved many times before.

Are you in a hurry to get an answer?
Use the Google Search Tip
Wyo_H1_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wyo_H1_Cat For This Useful Post:
stevewatr (01-31-2011)
Old 01-31-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin  
Administrator
ATV: None
Wyo beat me to the punch with the airbox comment. Many people will run 2" snorkels if they snorkel their machine. Why? Because it increases airflow. Bone stock, these later model machines run about a 1.5" snorkel/duct. If you run 2", you allow it to breathe more. Unless you rejet, you'll run lean.

Now, this is all being done while the air filter is still in place, which adds further restriction.

Now, take that information and apply it to your situation where you aren't running snorkels at all...you don't have an airbox which will add restriction, nor do you have an air filter which will add more restriction yet.

You could rejet for your current setup, but you'll find yourself back at square one once you put the airbox back on....at which point you'll be actually running rich and fouling plugs big time until you get it jetted right.
Sanny651 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sanny651 For This Useful Post:
stevewatr (01-31-2011)
Old 01-31-2011, 04:23 PM   #6

ATV: 07 700 cat, 09 mud pro
2009 Mileage: 700
2008 Mileage: 650
I had a 97 bearcat and the choke was off if pushed forward. To put choke on you pull towards yourself.
700 cat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 700 cat For This Useful Post:
stevewatr (01-31-2011)
Old 01-31-2011, 05:42 PM   #7

Quote: Originally Posted by 700 cat View Post
I had a 97 bearcat and the choke was off if pushed forward. To put choke on you pull towards yourself.
Ahhhhhh, now were getting somewhere. IF forward is choke off, and my motor races with the choke off, maybe it is way too lean?? Could be I have the pilot air screw setting way off because I was adjusting it with the choke in the on position??? hope to get some time tinkering with it before our next storm hits us. Looks like I need to get an airbox too. I found an '06 400 airbox that looks similar and is cheap enough to take a chance on it fitting the '97.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:00 PM   #8

Quote: Originally Posted by 07 400 View Post
A dealer told me about a TSB for this model/tear regarding hard starting in cold weather. He said the fix was a carb kit, but he could not tell me what it consisted of, and it is NLA from Arctic cat. He suggested I might try an aftermarket "re-jetting kit". If I get it running decent, and the choke acting correctly, I might consider rejetting, and opting for a K & N filter this summer. Think it's worth it?? I could care less about the extra HP (if any would be gained), my main concern right now is damage to the engine. I know running too lean can cause overheating, and I'm not even sure if the oil temp sensor, coolant temp sensor, fan, and associated circuitry is okay. I'm amazed I got the old girl this far.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:50 AM   #9
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
ATV: '08 TRV 500
2010 Mileage: 3300 km
2009 Mileage: 3000 km
Sounds to me like you need to get your hands on an airbox and filter then go from there. i would definitely not go with a K&N filter. They don't seal well in these air box's at all. Stock or UNI is the way to go with air filters.

Yes, if your jetting is off you should re-jet to keep your engine running its best. If your jetting is off you could do damage to your motor.
Custom diamond plate storage boxes | Powermadd handguards | Quadrax 2500 lbs winch | Moose Hand/Thumb warmers | Sanny circuit breakers | 26" interco swamplites on stock rims | Yuasa Battery | Sanny A-arm bushings w/ grease fittings | 2" flex lift | Snorkels | Looped crank vent mod | Custom audio setup | Arctic Cat block heater | Engine Ice coolant | Front and rear brush guard bumpers | Battery Tender jr | ///Airdam stage 1 | Speedwerx 42# stall springs | Amsteel Blue synthetic rope | UHMW hawse fairlead | UNI Air filter | Engine Brake Deleted | Xentec 6000k HIDs| 55w Halogen Reverse light | The Whoolie Shop LED's | LED high beam bulbs | Fuel filter | 3/16" Aluminum skid plate | Modded stock exhaust | Dynojet Kit-144 main-42 pilot-Needle on 3rd notch | Ride in springs

Terry Slaney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Terry Slaney For This Useful Post:
stevewatr (02-01-2011)
Old 02-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #10

Some success, still not convinced this is right.

Hello everybody. I found one of my issues was due to some gunk clogging the tiny screen at the float needle inlet in the carb. I now have it running, but it still has issues. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I documented this weekends findings on video, and posted the whole thing online, so you can see/hear it run first hand. Sorry it is in 12 parts. I should mention that one of the last things that happened was it failed to restart, and gave a LOUD backfire, like a gunshot! Then would not start. I had to pull the spark plug, and clean/dry it (wet with fuel) to get it started. Then it went back to running the way I left things as seen in Part 12. Here is a link to the first video:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » General ATV Discussion

Search tags for this page

1997 arctic cat 454 bearcat engine oil capacity

1997 arctic cat bear arctic cat 454 4x4 specs

1997 arctic cat bearcat 454

97 bear cat 454 valve spec

arctic cat 454 bearcat spark plug

arctic cat 454 valve adjustment

bearcat 454 4x4 oil capacity
does the arctic cat bearcat 454 come with the airbox snorkeled
fourms for atv articat 1997 454 ber
how do you remove choke cable from carburator on 1997 bearcat 4x4
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.