General ATV Discussion Discussion Forum for Arctic Cat ATVs

Old 12-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #1

ATV: 2006 arctic cat 400i
2007 Mileage: 1200km
2006 Mileage: 3000km
is my Solenoid fried???

Hey Guys Been along time since I have posted, But I need some feed back.

My bike wouldn't start today, killed the battery trying. I boosted it and finely got it running but know the solenoid just clicks and vibrates when I hit the button. I can jump the starter directly and it will start. How can I tell if I fried my Solenoid? Thanks in advance for any replies

Epi clutch kit
<span style="color:#000000">26" executioners
ITP C series 7
K&N filter
Dynojet Kit
snorkels
LE bumpers, front and back
Kirch1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-15-2010, 05:40 PM   #2

ATV: 2008 650 H1
If you jumped the solenoid and it turns the motor over you need a solenoid.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #3

it doesn't jump from the solenoid, it just clicks. I am actually wondering if I fried the grounding wire, I could smell a hint of burnt wire.

Epi clutch kit
ITP C series 7
K&N filter
Dynojet Kit
snorkels
Old 12-15-2010, 07:51 PM   #4

mine used to do the same thing every once in a while, acted kind of like a car does when the battery is dead, just clicks and vibrates... mine was one of the battery wires that was a little loose. take a wrench from the tool box under your seat, and cross the ground and power wire on the solenoid and try to start it, thats what i did and mine fired right up until i figured out it was the battery cable.. but sounds like your havin the same problem. just tighten up the wires on the battery really good and see if it helps.
650H1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:42 AM   #5

ATV: ThunderLemon 1000
2008 Mileage: Depends upon Fa
 Quote: Originally Posted by Kirch1978 View Post
it doesn't jump from the solenoid, it just clicks. I am actually wondering if I fried the grounding wire, I could smell a hint of burnt wire.
I thinking your battery is no longer to deliver it's full rated CCA amperage. Repeated deep discharge and over charging at too high an amperage, jump starting from a running automobile can damage these little batteries and cause the battery to loose capacity. Have the battery load tested, about any auto parts store can do this to see if its delivering its full rated output. If weak replace, it may be just too far discharged, charge overnight with a 2 amp charger. It takes a minimum of 10 hours to fully charge a discharged 20 amp/hour battery at 2 amp rate.

By jumping across the solenoid what is meant is to use a pair of old pliers or two old screwdrivers to physically short the two large terminals together at the solenoid thus giving the starter a direct path to the battery through what ever you are using to jump out the terminals with. If it turns over good then the problem is with the solenoid, if it still doesn't then its either the Battery, or Wiring connections at the battery, Large wiring connections at solenoid, Starter connection, or main engine ground loose or corroded or Perhaps a bad starter. What you are smelling are the contacts burning and ozone from the arcing of the contacts as they start to open from low voltage. The smell does not necessary mean your solenoid is fried or bad.

The solenoid is just a relay or switch that via the push button supplies to a low current signal to energize a coil that causes large high current contacts to connect the two large wires together internally. In actuality, both large wires are positive. One is hot all the time the other is hot only when the solenoid is energized feeding power to the starter. There are 3 small wires, Black is a coil ground, green is coil positive which momentary supplies 12 volts from the push button to energize the coil. and Red is 12 volt supply from the battery to the fuse box which is internally connected inside the solenoid to the large positive cable connection from the battery.

The clicking is caused when the voltage drops below the level needed to energize the solenoid coil. The starter takes a lot of power or juice and places a lot of load upon the battery. It can cause the battery voltage to sag below the level needed to energize the coil. Then the coil looses power and the solenoid opens, since now there is no load on the battery, voltage recovers high enough until enough to re-energize the coil and this starts all over again, click, click click as the main solenoid contacts make and break with high and low voltage from the battery.. Weak bad battery, Battery not fully charged, Loose cables or bad starter is always the problem in such cases. If you were to look at the battery voltage while the solenoid is clicking, it would be jumping from about 7-9 volts to almost 12 volts as the solenoid contacts clicks open and closed.

In rare cases the main high current contacts of the solenoid could be pitted or corroded enough to prevent full current from passing through them to the starter. This would not necessary cause a clicking sound, just appear like a weak battery or not enough power to turn over the engine.

Remember all of his, so you can help out the next guy that posts a problem with a clicking solenoid and I'll not have to retype all this again. <grin>

Troubleshooting First Steps, An amazing number of problems are cured with just these two items.

1. Make sure your battery is FULLY Charged.
2. Try a new spark plug.

Search threads, Check Pinned Section. Pinned Topics Manual or wiring diagram? Manuals
http://countrycat.com/ccstore/index...._Diagrams.html

Improving Search.

Better results when searching for specific information. To find threads where ALL the words, instead of ANY of the words "650H1, Carb, Jetting, Needle Jet, Snorkel" were found...Open up a search window in www.google.com In the find box type without the quotes "650H1 Carb Jetting Needle Jet Snorkel site:Arcticchat.com" & Press return. Find threads, replies or topics by a specific member; just by inserting their user name into the search list; Chances are, your problem is NOT unique and it has been solved many times before.

Are you in a hurry to get an answer?
Use the Google Search Tip

Last edited by Wyo_H1_Cat; 12-16-2010 at 01:33 AM.
Wyo_H1_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:52 AM   #6

ATV: 2008 650 H1
 Quote: Originally Posted by Kirch1978 View Post
worst case you could have fried the starter if you kept cranking on it without letting off.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:45 PM   #7

thanks for the replies, Wyo it is not the battery for sure, I always use a battery tender on it and I didn't jump with another vehicle just using a charger.But I had it tested anyways and it is great. I found the harness that had started melting. it goes to the starter. I am going to tear into it next week to see if I melted the wires inside the rubber casing. I am almost positive that I have lost the ground.

Epi clutch kit
ITP C series 7
K&N filter
Dynojet Kit
snorkels
Old 05-13-2014, 10:41 AM   #8

My coil is not putting out a spark. Battery up,spark plug not firing. Swith sometime light come on,but still no spark from the plug.I have a 2005 articat 250 automatic,and I don't no what's wrong with it. Please help me somebody! 364196050,Texas.
6Robert8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » General ATV Discussion

Search tags for this page
2006 arctic cat starter solenoid
arctic cat 400 starter relay
arctic cat atv starter solenoid

arctic cat solenoid

arctic cat soloniod clicks
arctic cat starter relay solenoid
crossing battery terminals on atv smoke under the seat
how to install a solenoid 1998 arctic cat atv
if my starter relay is bad on my dvx 400 could it still be pop started
what purpose does the cylinoid relay on a atv polaris 400 serve
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.