General ATV Discussion Discussion Forum for Arctic Cat ATVs

Old 02-28-2009, 07:21 AM   #1
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
ATV: '07 650 H1
I wanted to go ice fishing this morning but its -22oC !!
So I have some questions about this Ice shack / Blind attachment.

1) Are they all the same size? Do they all fit the full size bikes?
I saw one on Ebay yesterday and called the Dealer (Country Cat) They said the one they were selling only fit the older 400's. For this reason I didn't bid and it sold for $59.00!!! I've found no info. that says they made different size shacks so I think I really missed out.
2) Anybody know why AC stopped making them? Are they completely discontinued or being redesigned?
3) Whats the deal with the cradles? How many do you need to carry this unit? Are they still available? What other hardware do you need?
4) Last but not least. Anybody know of one for sale? I'd like one for ice fishing.
Any other info. would be appreciated.
Thanx.
Remove Ads
Old 02-28-2009, 08:20 AM   #2

ATV: 08 T-Cat
The rapid blind/shacks will fit any Arctic Cat full size quad as long as the racks have the side quick attach fittings, which the last couple years models don`t have anymore. If you have a front brush guard, you will require a different front mount for the shack. I`m not sure if the front mount is still available, but I know the side cradles (used to transport it when folded up) are no longer available from cat. I think the side cradles would be easy to build though. I have iced fished with mine for 3 years now....really works well.
Mumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:04 AM   #3
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
ATV: None
You only need 2 cradles to carry it, but if you can't find them, you could fab something up. Nothing special about them. They just hold the collapsed house while you ride.

I've had mine for 2 years....love it! Perfect for one guy....cozy for two. I'll keep my eyes open for one. I've seen them for $150 at times.
Sanny651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
Sled: 570Z
ATV: 05 650 twin
2007 Mileage: 600
2006 Mileage: 800
As far as the sizes, they did make 2 different ones. One fit the old 400, and believe it or not the old 300, the other size was the more standard one that fit all the other full size cat 4-wheelers. I bought one on e-bay from a guy here in the UP 2 years ago for 200.00. They are nice but they do have their limitations. For instance, the set-up isn't particularly fast by today's standards for ice shacks. I have a cabin style (eskimo pro) that sets up quicker, and of course the flip style shacks are much quicker. The other thing is the mobility once you are on the ice. Once set up, if you want to move, even just a short distance, you have to entirely pack up the shack into its zippered cover, or part of the shack could get caught in the wheels when you move, which wouldn't be a good thing!
Another thing to mention is that the shack is held in place be aluminum "spreaders" (6 of them) that clip on to the shack's structure with plastic C-clamps. There is one C-clamp mounted to each end of the spreaders, but they tend to come loose in the aluminum tube (spreader) that they are mounted in. In fact, one of mine was completely out of the tube when I got it. I ordered a few extra spreaders and used a metal punch to secure all the other C-clamps better in their tubes.
All that being said, I do like mine. There are times that it is much more convenient to carry a shack on your 4-wheeler instead of dragging one. And it is something out of the ordinary, so there is a "cool" factor too. But if I could only own one ice shack, it would not be this one, it's just too slow and inconvenient to move around on the ice compared to others.
gtdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:47 PM   #5
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
ATV: None
In using both the Speedrack ice shack as well as a Clam Guide, I've found that I like the Speedrack one better when you have to bounce around a bit. I don't like having to secure everything back in the portable then going, then unsecure everything, etc... I have 3 milk crates on the back of my quad that hold the bait bucket, propane heater, tackle/rods and vexilar. The front holds my auger. When I go to move, I've found that a piece of velcro or something like that will keep it all together in the cradles fine if you are moving a short distance, but I like to button it up in the cover for the longer hauls.

Both are nice to use/have. The other thing I like (very much so in fact) is that I can just pull up to the lake, drive my quad off the trailer and go...no messing around with unloading the Clam from my truck and loading it all up and such. For me, this is more of a chore than most due to the fact I have a mild case of cerebral palsy, and my leg strength is matched by a 5th grader. That said, lifting stuff in and out of the truck is a bit more challenging for me. So, I like the Speedrack gig much better in that regard. Pull off the trailer and go baby go. The same holds true once I get back from fishing...drive onto the trailer and off I go.
Sanny651 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » General ATV Discussion

Search tags for this page

arctic cat rapid blind

arctic cat rapid blind ice shack

arctic cat rapid shack

clam puad shack
clam quad shack
rapid blind by arctic cat

rapid shack

rapid shack arctic cat
rapid shack fish house
rapid shack ice house
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.