NavbitArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » General ATV Discussion » Arctic Cat 400 cuts out going downhill

General ATV Discussion Discussion Forum for Arctic Cat ATVs

Old 01-29-2009, 07:40 PM   #1

ATV: 2007 Arctic Cat 400 Manuel
2008 Mileage: 500
Hello everyone. First of all, I just found out about this website tonight and look forward to visiting it daily.

I need a little help with my AC 400 Manuel. Just recently, it began running oddly. When going down steep hills or over rocks, it sputters and begins to die. What's weird is if you let off the gas and rock the machine side to side a few times, it takes off again until it does it again in a few minutes.

It all began when we were climbing a steep hill and my brother-in-law in front of me high-centered. I locked the brakes and left my AC idoling in nuetral on the hill and went to help bro-in-law off the rock he was hung on. By the time I got mine to the top of the hill it started doing this.

We have cleaned the carb several times, it's spotless. I always add one can of SeaFoam to EVERY tank of fuel simply because I don't trust what's coming out of the fuel hoses these days. Just yesterday, we noticed that when you rock the thing, it sometimes quits sputtering and takes off. I have never seen a bike do that before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Great forum guys. You do a huge service to the ATV community!

-Tim C-

[attachment=120214SCF5110.JPG]

Attached Thumbnails
Arctic Cat 400 cuts out going downhill-dscf5110.jpg  
TCooke1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-29-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
Team ArcticChat
Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
ATV: 2006 arctic cat 400 4x4 auto fis
2008 Mileage: 410
2007 Mileage: 500
2006 Mileage: 900
have you gotten anything in your tank? maybe something is partially blocking your fuel pick up? as you said you cant trust what come out of the pumps so maybe some crud is floating around inside your tank. and by rocking it you dislodge it?? oh and welcome.
2" snorkels
speedwerx clutch kit
carbslide mod
front brush bar
kimpex atv lounger
chopped front bumper
gorilla 3000# winch

join the team-------click here--------->
www.myspace.com/rango726
rango726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:22 PM   #3
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
Sled: 2008 Arctic Cat Prowler 650 H1 XT
ATV: Arctic Cat 700 EFI Auto
2007 Mileage: 300
2006 Mileage: 400
FLOAT!! Sounds like its partially sticking. When you rock it back & fourth ...letting some gas go by. I'd try that first.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:06 PM   #4

Sled: N/A
ATV: Lime Green AC400-04'
2007 Mileage: 150
WELCOME ! ! !! ! It does sound like float problem, but keep checking this board, these guys are great and have all the knowledge to help you.
M20Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:17 PM   #5

ATV: 05 650 V2
floats or water in fuel
Timberwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:31 PM   #6
Team ArcticChat
Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
ATV: 2006 arctic cat 400 4x4 auto fis
2008 Mileage: 410
2007 Mileage: 500
never thought about the float..... doh. check the flux capicitor. notorious for problems :P
2" snorkels
speedwerx clutch kit
carbslide mod
front brush bar
kimpex atv lounger
chopped front bumper
gorilla 3000# winch

join the team-------click here--------->
www.myspace.com/rango726
rango726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:10 PM   #7

ATV: 2007 400 4x4
2007 Mileage: 200
i would try pushing down your "fuel lever" on your carb next time instead of shaking it....i know you cleaned it all out, but maybe the float isn't seated correctly. it's happened before...trust me.grrrrr

by the way, if you do have to pull the carb again, i would highly recommend doing the carb-slide mod...look it up on here!

WELCOME!!

-deal

2007 400 maunal

26/10/12 and 26/12/12 MAXXIS MUD BUGS
carb slide mod-clipped 4 coils
snorkled
tow hooks in reciever
deal1on1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:14 AM   #8

ATV: 400 Arctic Cat & 250 Arctic Cat
2007 Mileage: 200
I'm a big fan of sea foam also, but I think that putting a full can in every tank may be the beginning of your problems. I have a 400 also with no problems. I do put maybe a quarter to half can in every two or three tank fulls. Just my two cents and welcome to Sanny's Place Just kidding! If you haven't heard from Sanny, you will, the guy is great with helping you out. (most of the time)
arkycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:53 PM   #9

ATV: 2007 Arctic Cat 400 Manuel
2008 Mileage: 500
Thanks for all your advice. Popular opinion says it is a float problem. I will check that out tomorrow but while working on it today we discovered something else. You all know how the fuel pump is under the seat right? Well the hose leading off of that to the carb is leaking...no...pissing...at the clamp on the end. Thus the reason why I have been smelling so much fuel and burning 6 gallons every two weeks. But, that wouldn't contribute to the problem would it? Unless the fuel spraying out was enough to prevent it from going to the carb? . This is my first Cat so I am learning as I go. None the less, I will replace that hose and clamp tomorrow and still look into the float issue.

As far as the seafoam goes, does it really harm it to put a can in every tank?? Just up the street is a riding park called DeepWater and a couple years ago we ran into a couple old boys who suggested it and we have tried to do it since. I have never noticed any difference but that doesn't mean there isn't anything going on underneath that I'll find out about later. Thanks for suggesting that might be a problem, as I never knew it could be.
We have even talked to other riders at DeepWater who suggested doing a can of SeaFoam AND something called Miracle Oil with each tank but never really gave that a second thought. I never added anything to the gas in my Big Bear as it is mostly for farming anyway.

I can't help thinking if I did something when I drown the Artic Cat in the river this past Summer. We drained alot of water out of it, went through a couple plugs in a few weeks, and several quarts of oil and filters, but it eventually started running normal again. I am beginning to think I missed something somewhere. I don't know.

And one last thing, does anybody else's have a rattling (almost knocking) underneath it when you get in the gas and then in idol damn near sound like it has a whining to it? Dealership said every Arctic Cat he has ever sold does it and not to worry about it. But I have never been one to take a dealer's word for anything.

I must say, despite the current situation, overall I have been very happy with my Cat. I know several Honda and Big Bear Riders who have said I made a mistake, but the thing is great when it's running at it's best. My Big Bear will always hold a special place in my garage, but the Arctic Cat is loads of fun also.

[attachment=120288SCF5110.JPG]

Attached Thumbnails
Arctic Cat 400 cuts out going downhill-dscf5110.jpg  
TCooke1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:58 PM   #10

ATV: 700 efi
2007 Mileage: lots
2006 Mileage: a lot
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TCooke1982 @ Jan 30 2009, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
 Quote:
the hose leading off of that to the carb is leaking...no...pissing...at the clamp on the end.

As far as the seafoam goes, does it really harm it to put a can in every tank??
[attachment=120288SCF5110.JPG][/b]
I bet there's alcohol in that sea foam, alcohol will cause rubber to dry up and crack, gaskets too. my advice would be to use it when you need it, and only when you need it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » General ATV Discussion

Search tags for this page

2008 arctic cat cuts out on hills

2008 arctic cat prowler 650 downhill stalling

arctic cat prowler downhill stalling
atv cuts off heading downhill
atv dies after going down a steep hill but runs fine
atv dies when going down hill

atv quits hills

atv stalls out
atv stalls when going down hill
my 4 wheeler quits running going down hills
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.