NavbitArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » General ATV Discussion » 2000 AC 500 ATV Carb leaks gas out bottom

General ATV Discussion Discussion Forum for Arctic Cat ATVs

Old 11-25-2007, 08:08 PM   #1

ATV: 2000 Artic Cat 500 Automatic
2007 Mileage: 100
2006 Mileage: 100
Thumbs up

My 2000 AC 500cc 4x4 automatic's Keihin carburetor is leaking gas out of the bottom of the carb and it will not stop. Engine runs fine. What can cause this? What are the possible solutions?

I shut the fuel supply off using the factory shut off valve but it continued to leak. Valve apparently does not shut off completely so I disconected supply line from carb and raised above the fuel tank.

Where can I purchase needed parts or new carb if needed.

I read a post that indicated this problem can be caused by trailering w/o shutting off the fuel supply. I must admit I did that today. How can this cause the problem? It has not been an issue before and I have owned it since new and trailered it many times with fuel shut off valve on.
Johnbl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-25-2007, 09:40 PM   #2
Banned

Banned
Sled: N/A
06-07 Mileage: N/A
ATV: 2005 400i Manual
2007 Mileage: 2000+
2006 Mileage: 2200
Uh, your closest Arctic Cat dealer. Look here to find your parts and their cost;

http://www.alpha-sports.com/arctic_cat_atv_parts.htm
Bear 45/70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:22 PM   #3
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
Sled: none
ATV: 05 500m red
2007 Mileage: 1000
2006 Mileage: 2500
I would remove the carb and clean it look at the float and float needle in particular. You may get away with removing the bowl and checking but I find it best to bite the bullet and remove it all. Not sure what the temperature is where you ride/trailer but a similar thing happened to me it was a little water in the gas that froze in the carb. I ran gas line de icer through it and gave it a few taps with a screwdriver while it was running without removing the carb and the issue went away. As others on here will say run a little sea foam through it.

WC
Switched pod light, back up light, modded muffler, 2" snorkel, 45 pilot, 160 main, shim, purple EPI clutch springs, K&N air filter, carb slide mod, 07 side shields, Wyo shock bushings, line-x racks and bumpers, Ram mounted Garmin 60csx, outlaws on T7's.

There is no reason an 700 pound machine shouldn't catwalk and drive through 6 feet of water.
walkingcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:59 PM   #4

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Johnbl12 @ Nov 25 2007, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
 Quote:
My 2000 AC 500cc 4x4 automatic's Keihin carburetor is leaking gas out of the bottom of the carb and it will not stop. Engine runs fine. What can cause this? What are the possible solutions?

I shut the fuel supply off using the factory shut off valve but it continued to leak. Valve apparently does not shut off completely so I disconected supply line from carb and raised above the fuel tank.

Where can I purchase needed parts or new carb if needed.

I read a post that indicated this problem can be caused by trailering w/o shutting off the fuel supply. I must admit I did that today. How can this cause the problem? It has not been an issue before and I have owned it since new and trailered it many times with fuel shut off valve on.[/b]

You need to replace the float valve assembly. The float needle has a rubber tip that gets worn and won't seal against the seat.

Claws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:31 PM   #5

ATV: 2000 Artic Cat 500 Automatic
2007 Mileage: 100
2006 Mileage: 100
Thanks for the advice. I plan to try tapping on it this week end which is as soon as I can spare some time to get it inside and warmed up. Already added the Sea Foam-Wonderfull stuff. Hope the tapping works or l will bite the bullet and take it apart. I got my answer about the trailering. Apparently the bumping up and down on the trailer takes the floats to the max up and down and sometimes it just gets stuck down and will not release up to shut off the gas from the line so it just keeps flowing out the overflow tube. Shutting the supply line off seems to prevent this. Glad I found this site. Lots of nice folks on here.
Johnbl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #6

your carb should have a bowl drain and a place to add hose to route outside motor - use it
you say leaking out the bottom -where
If your tank shutoff is not working replace it as I have seen leaking gas get into oil -look at your oil sight window -if looks milky ya got gas in oil -for transport or long term storage it must by shut off.
do not remove bowl in machine as in some units parts may fall out on some types of carbs and ya can not get back in with out total carb remove
gearhead33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » General ATV Discussion

Search tags for this page

2000 arctic cat 500 automatic carb

2000 arctic cat 500 carburetor

assembly of the carburetor on four wheeler arctic cat 500 4x4

gas leaking from bottom of carb

gas leaking out the bottom drain screw of my kehin cvk carb
leaking fuel
polaris atp 500 fuel shut off valve wont stop carb leak
what carb is on the 2000 arctic cat 500 auto atv

where is the carburator drain location on a 2000 arctic cat 500 auto?

why is my keihn carb leaking?

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.