NavbitArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » General ATV Discussion » Quad Magazine's AC 400 Review

General ATV Discussion Discussion Forum for Arctic Cat ATVs

Old 03-04-2007, 10:26 AM   #1

Sled: SkiDoo Skandic Widetrack 1997
ATV: Arctic Cat 400i Manual
2007 Mileage: 100
Well, tell me this: Out of 7 quads tested in Quad magazines' review of ATVs under $6000, the Cat came out 5th???....WTF!!......the magazine contradicts itself big time. It basically lists several catagories like Suspension and Handling; Steering; Braking; Overall Feel; Power and Fit and Finish. The Cat always came out extremely favorable in all these catagories...but supposedly only in the MUD and Rocks????.... I don't know about you guys but it seems that all these magazines care about is blasting 50-60 mph down flat fireroads!!...

The article is well put together but to me is very misleading...perhaps Arctic Cat didn't kiss their arses enough and that's why they came in 5th! ...What a bunch of BS!!!

My 2005 400i handles fine at all speeds with the correct tire pressure and suspension settings. You can set these things up any way you like it..and for what they are intended: Mud, Rocks and Trails at below lightspeed conditions, I feel the Cat is #1!!

While I feel that no quad has everything that every individual might want (for instance,.. I wish I had two brake levers (F&R), a lower reverse and a better carb), the Cat does have the most competent machine for ALL conditions in my mind.

I like when the magazines put all the stats and spec together for all of us to see and I feel that they overall do a pretty good job...just read the article and you'll see what I mean
skandic is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-04-2007, 10:52 AM   #2

ATV: 06 400 Auto
2007 Mileage: 295
I completely agree. Was reading the March issue of ATv magazine where they tested the 500cc class and the Arctic Cat came in next to last. They complained about too much body roll and diving under hard braking. These things are not shifter carts with all that suspension travel the body will move around corners and during hard acceleration and braking. I agree about the 2 brake levers and can already tell I will wish I had a lower reverse gear. But for about 95% of the pieces on this quad it is as if I designed it for my use. I really cant figure out why all the mags are so hard on the AC, they seem to be the most capable ATV's on the market and I was under the impression thats what these machines were made to do
scott1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:03 AM   #3

ATV: 2006 AC 400 4x4 Auto
2008 Mileage: 850
2007 Mileage: 600
2006 Mileage: 200
I don't know why the magazines keep ending up with the same conclusion every time either. I picked the 400 AC over the yami, suz, honda, kawi, popo because it seemed to be the macine that did it all. I kept up with two honda rincons and a popo 800 last weekend in 2 feet of snow. If that isn't capabilities I don't konw what is. I am imperssed with the 400s abilities every time I take it out. One thing though, I really wish AC would put a better tire on. They would fare much butter in all these reviews if the sidwalls weren't as flimsy as paper causing bad handling caracteristics. OH well, I guess it just means more for us less for them. We get to drive by laghing as they are stuck in the snow or mud because they have a whole 9" GC and got hung up.

I did read a review lately don't remember where of the 500 class machines and they did test rack capabilites riding with a load bud didn't hit any mud or rocky areas. If they would just get it all, work, mud, trail, and rocks AC would definetly fare better. Not saying the other machines aren't good machines, it just that they are not that much better at anything and are much worse at the things AC accels at. Besides nothing looks as cool as a lime green AC bombing down the trail. I always stand out in a croud.

We know the truth and if everyone else wants to be ignorant let them be. Just my opinion.

06 AC 400 4X4
25" Bighorn
Hand Guards
Mile Marker Winch
Street Legal

2003 Polaris RMK 700
ham_viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:32 AM   #4
Banned

Banned
Sled: '89 Polaris long track
ATV: '06 AC 500 auto, '07 500M
2007 Mileage: 860
2006 Mileage: 300
Regardless of what the rags say, it doesn't seem to be having any negative effect on Arctic Cat ATV sales. I read somewhere that Arctic Cat's ATV segment is the fastest growing of all the ATV manufacturers. That would tell me that the magazines are catering to a shrinking market. From my perspective, the rags like to lean toward sport riding and glitz. Think about it. If all you did was sit behind a desk, borrow some machines to test and find a place to do it, where would be the easiest place to get the job done? You can bet that they aren't going to do their tests in areas where the Cats will prevail. That would be a little too demanding and they might even get their dresses dirty. Cats are a different breed. They rule in the rough and are fairly decent but not as refined in civilized conditions. If the preponderance of the test is conducted under "civilized conditions", the Cats will not shine. When the girly machines get themselves hung up on rocks and logs or bogged down in mud, suddenly the Cat is the most popular machine in the group. When reading magazine reviews, do not lose perspective. We buy Cats to meet our expectations. Not those of panty waist magazine writers.
 Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:39 AM   #5

ATV: 2005 TRV 500 2006 TRV 500
2007 Mileage: 900
2006 Mileage: 1600
I really could not care less about reviews in ATV magazines. I got lucky, and picked a AC 500 TRV for my first ride. It was perfect for the style of riding we do. So much so, that we bought a second.

I have a friend that is a diehard polaris man. He will likely be purchasing his very first ATV in a few weeks. He has read the reviews as well. I've been sending him threads from this forum when we discuss other brands. He has learned, and I've constantly reminded him, it depends on what you want your machine for on the brand you pick.

He is really leaning towards a AC 500 auto. He knows that a Can-am or Polaris will likely beat it in a race. That does appeal to him, as he can't even have a brand new pickup without putting in a posi, chipping it and throwing on a new exhaust - but he realizes that isn't what he wants an ATV for.

He wants one for work and mud. AC is the obvious winner and he knows it.

Jay

Winston Churchill

</div>
ArcticDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:45 AM   #6

ATV: 2011 700LTD Viper Blue
2010 Mileage: V2 SOLD
2006 Mileage: 1530 1/08/2009
I hope Cat sticks to it, and doesnt change. I bought this thing because of the way it is, and because i go to the extreme when looking for terrain to ride in. They have record sales every year for a reason. Hopefully the pen pushers dont get to them.................

2011 700LTD PS Viper Blue

Front/Rear Brushguard Bumpers, 3500lb SEALED Venom winch, New speed racks (the better previous version) Cargo Box, Gun Scabbard, AC Plow, AC Handguards, 27" Swmaplites on STI's, AirDam Stage 1 and 2, lightened rollers, Fan Fuse Mod, Waterproofing everything possible

AMSOIL

2006 GSX-R750

Smart Tre, Power Commander III, FP Velocity Stacks, Custom tune, Akrapovic Exhaust, -1 Front, K&N Filter, Fender Eliminator Kit, Iridium Plugs, Speedo Healer,

May the Sacred Heart of Jesus be praised, adored and glorified now and
forever, Amen.
(To be said 6 times a day for nine days and promise to publish it for others
to use. Never been known to fail.)
V2RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:59 AM   #7

ATV: 06 400 Auto
2007 Mileage: 295
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (V2RIDER @ Mar 4 2007, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
 Quote:
I hope Cat sticks to it, and doesnt change.[/b]
exactly
scott1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:21 PM   #8

ATV: 05 650 V2
That guy is an ideot. He is the writer dude on that magazine and he disses arctic cats all the time. I bought this book and it had all the quads in it and he writes that book to and he is trying to tell us that arctic cat has 12 inches of ground clearance so its no good! He says it sucks in turns and this and that. Guys whacked out....
650boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:21 PM   #9

ATV: 05 650 V2
I think his name is like robert jette or something like that.
650boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » General ATV Discussion

Search tags for this page
2006 arctic cat 400 4x4 review

2006 arctic cat 400 4x4 reviews

2006 arctic cat 400 review

2006 arctic cat 400 reviews

2007 arctic cat 400 4x4

2007 arctic cat 400 4x4 review

2007 arctic cat 400 4x4 reviews

2007 arctic cat 400 atv reviews

2007 arctic cat 400 reviews

2007 arctic cat 400 specs
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.