Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

Reliability!

6K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  GreenGoblin 
#1 ·
I do alot of riding with Rincons and in good fun, I'm usually the butt end of the joke, CAT this, CAT that, I'm sure I'm not the only one. Although usually not bothered with it, the one that keeps coming back and really starting to annoy me is "Honda reliability". I keep hearing over and over "No other bike in the entire universe is more reliable than a Honda", which brings me to my question.

What defines reliability, and is CAT considered a reliable ATV?

GG :chug:

#3 ·
Personally, I think reliability doesn't depend on what brand name it is. No one company can build a perfect anything... And even when they try, stuff still goes wrong. Just the nature of mechanical stuff I guess.

So keeping that in mind, everyone has to realize that companies do build some stuff many of us would call crappy. Could have the most reliable thing on the market, but it probably has a part or two on it that could've been better designed.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a rare minor failure once in a while... As long as the performance is there!

I mean... What good is something that doesn't break if it's overall design causes inferior performance?

#4 ·
Well I hear the same stuff from my group of friends who have (honda, Yamah, Pol, Kawi) its fun. Just like ford and chevy and I own a Dodge. Honda makes a good bike but feature for feature and I'm talking 05 400 class CATS owned them, Disc brakes, IRS. They laugh and taunt but when it comes to deep water/mud I get put on point or the job to help pull them out as one of my honda pals states "if you can't make it we know we aren't." Tie this up with a little upkeep, little to no maintenance and price, the cat still rules the roost. I could give you items, belts, bearing, axles, headlight, overheating, etc that they have replaced and I'm still running fine on what her mommy gave her.

considered reliable ATV's? Yes

#5 ·
Originally posted by Cattywompus@Nov 14 2005, 01:13 PM
Well I hear the same stuff from my group of friends who have (honda, Yamah, Pol, Kawi) its fun. Just like ford and chevy and I own a Dodge.  Honda makes a good bike but feature for feature and I'm talking 05 400 class CATS owned them, Disc brakes, IRS.  They laugh and taunt but when it comes to deep water/mud I get put on point or the job to help pull them out as one of my honda pals states "if you can't make it we know we aren't."  Tie this up with a little upkeep, little to no maintenance and price, the cat still rules the roost.  I could give you items, belts, bearing, axles, headlight, overheating, etc that they have replaced and I'm still running fine on what her mommy gave her.

considered reliable ATV's?  Yes
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

Hmmmm.....Well said thumbguy

#8 ·
The King Quad riders are the worst. Give me all kinds of smack. But they are jellous. After see 2 KQ having to be towed in from 15 miles out because the computer went out and so no more fuel. I just smile as they are being towed.

#9 ·
I found out long ago that Honda 3 wheelers and 4 wheelers are very reliable/dependable but they certainly do not walk on water. They can break down, develop oil leaks, be cold natured, use oil just like other machinery.

#11 ·
Originally posted by garyb@Nov 14 2005, 04:52 PM
The King Quad riders are the worst. Give me all kinds of smack. But they are jellous. After see 2 KQ having to be towed in from 15 miles out because the computer went out and so no more fuel. I just smile as they are being towed.
[/quote]

Dont put the Kq riders down, I ride one and have Never laughed at my buddies when they break shafts or frames or the wheel just feels like coming off the bike for no reason, i dont think that the V2 will take the pounding as well as other wheelers will, but what do i know my yella Qween Quad cant even haul a wheelie...

#12 ·
Originally posted by mudFREAK+Nov 14 2005, 07:19 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mudFREAK @ Nov 14 2005, 07:19 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-garyb
@Nov 14 2005, 04:52 PM

Dont put the Kq riders down, I ride one and have Never laughed at my buddies when they break shafts or frames or the wheel just feels like coming off the bike for no reason, i dont think that the V2 will take the pounding as well as other wheelers will, but what do i know my yella Qween Quad cant even haul a wheelie...
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
[/b][/quote]

The 700 King Quad won't wheelie??

#13 ·
I think the dependability rate depends on two key factors...the kind of machine and the kind of rider.

Seems to me that the 650 class of AC's have the most issues, but it frames, CV axles, axle nuts, etc... However, I've not heard all that many issues from 400 and 500 owners. I've heard those are pretty bullet proof. That covers the kind of machine aspect of my opinion.

As far as the rider goes, some people drive theirs like an abrams tank thinking it can do anything (literally). However, I'm pretty confident that those who ride like that almost expect things to break down due to the very nature of their riding habits.

The older Honda's do go forever. Not sure that anyone can really dispute that. They just run and run and run. However, like others have stated, they can't go through squat for water/mud. Like other riders here, I've been at the butt end of many friendly jokes because I ride a Cat, while they ride Honda's a Yamaha's. However, when push comes to shove, they all concede that mine will go through just about anything while sit by and watch me have fun (or while I winch them out).

#14 ·
Thought about another angle to all this.

If the real world performance isn't there with your buddy's Hondas, but they still want to knock a brand they don't have... Because it just so happens to outperform theirs... Playing the reliability card is all they have left, isn't it?

And if they couldn't play the 'reliability card', then what's next? The looks card? "But... But... Hondas look better."

slaphappy

#15 ·
I actually have a friend who has played that card! He knows I want a AC500m, so he has tried to talk me out of it quoting the typical Honda reliability. I pointed out that it has a Suzuki motor and tranny (a name he trusts), so then he said, "it may be alright then...but I just like the look of the new Hondas".

#16 ·
Originally posted by ostie82@Nov 15 2005, 10:18 AM
I actually have a friend who has played that card! He knows I want a AC500m, so he has tried to talk me out of it quoting the typical Honda reliability.  I pointed out that it has a Suzuki motor and tranny (a name he trusts), so then he said, "it may be alright then...but I just like the look of the new Hondas".
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sometimes the Anti-Cats are pretty funny, aren't they?

No matter how you slice it, mechanical things will suffer from wear & tear. And yes, some are better or worse than others. It's just the way it goes with this kind of stuff.

Also... If there were any truly bad ones out there, they wouldn't survive the marketplace! And Cat ATV sales are on a steady climb up!

#17 ·
Thats funny! I got my arctic cat 500 manual because imo I thought it was the most reliable atv out there and with a big bonus of haveing alot of great features such as it goes through anything. the suzuki engine in there is great and was a huge part of the decision for me. to me arctic cat made all of the things suzuki wasnt good at and took the best of what suzuki had and made a great atv.
as far as the 650's go theres more torque and hp so theres more strain on the parts so more things to break. I dont get why companies put bigger engines in the atvs with out beefing up the axles and drive train. you wouldnt do that in a car!

#18 ·
Originally posted by A G@Nov 15 2005, 09:41 AM
Thought about another angle to all this.

If the real world performance isn't there with your buddy's Hondas, but they still want to knock a brand they don't have...  Because it just so happens to outperform theirs...  Playing the reliability card is all they have left, isn't it? 

And if they couldn't play the 'reliability card', then what's next?  The looks card?  "But...  But...  Hondas look better."

slaphappy
[/quote]

Well said AG thumbguy

#21 ·
Well, the new Rincon 680 is now out and three of the six Rincon owners I ride with are trading up. I think these hardcores will be disappointed, but will soon find out, the one guy is getting his this week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.