Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

'07 F8 intermittent start and bog issue

19K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  bobweiser 
#1 ·
Weird issue this past Friday with my '07 F8. First 80 miles with no problems, filled up with gas, and started trip home. After going through snow drift, sled acted like it wanted to die for a second or two and then no problem. Went several more miles, stopped to an idle and sled shutoff. Won't start with battery or pull. When turning over on battery, no light in speedo. Scratched our head I dunno, after a couple of minutes, tried again and started right up. Idles fine and rode fine. Bogged down again for a sec while running at 45mph, but then was fine. Next stop to idle, no issue. Next stop, shut off again. Checked all cables, bumped throttle, opened gas cap, all the standard stuff. No change. Battery died while trying to start. Again waited a few minutes, fired right up again. Idled fine, ran fine. Almost home, went through a few puddles and sled seemed to go into a limp mode. Wouldn't rev up and would only go about 20mph. RPM's seemed to bounce around. Tried burping throttle, no change. Opened up gas cap, seemed to clear up. Ran fine home. Loaded up. Started fine off trailer. Started fine unloading. Again sled runs perfect other than above times and no ECU codes and wrench light never flashed. Thoughts are bad gas, throttle position sensor, ?????. Conditions were wet and lot of snow/ice build up on sleds that day. I hate intermittents. Worried everytime I'll go out now. Any thoughts?

#2 ·
My thoughts
-throttle switch - moisture issue
-possible crack or split lower air box (should be removed and covered with Gorilla tape from the seam on down). Very common, will take an engine out in very short order.
-power valve cable hanging up. (either cable itself is pooched or sticking valve or power valve return spring is broken)

#8 ·
Hello I was having issues with bogging and dieing out. and was fouling one plug. Tried all thoses thing that they said to do and found the simplest thing was to remove the muffler out of the way and remove the two screws that hold down the injectors and remove the injectors, keeping them still on the fuel rail and getting so one to pull it over with the ignition on and check the fuel spray.. Found that one of my injectors weren't working proper. Placed both injectors in Seafoam liquid. Then in the morning Used a small power source and open the injectors and blew some sea foam though them And seem to have cured it for now but I think I'm going to replace the one that was giving problems and keep the old one for a spare. Also I found that my idle was high and now it has setted down were it should be Hope this info can help Roy

#10 ·
Well, still ain't fixed. Checked over sled, cable routing, dumped in seafoam, etc. Went out today, was fine for first 15 or 20 miles then RPMs seemed to jump around some. Stopped to cross road and RPM's at idle jumping from 500 to 3000. Shut it down, and won't start again. Disconnected throttle safety switch, no change. Swapped plugs and started up. Ran another 10 or so miles, RPM's jumping and died. tapped injectors and let is sit 5 minutes, started up and ran fine. Long story short by then end, I could only go 1 mile, it would bog out, stay running but idle was missing and if you hit the thottle would die, wait a couple of minutes, idle would clean up and away I would go. Frustrating intermittents. Injectors? Anyone? Hate to take it to the dealer cause it may not act up for them. :angry:

#15 ·
Ran out of time and patience and took it to the dealer today. They didn't keep it because of the intermittent issue. Instead they are going to call Arctic Cat and throw this past them. The mechanic mentioned the CCU, saw this issue in the F1000's and it didn't throw any codes when it acted up. Fortunately I have a F5 for test parts but no time and losing snow to try them out.

#16 ·
IT"S BACK:angry:

Thought I had it taken care of last year. Thinking it was bad gas, and still could be that. After a few new tanks of gas, problem was gone. Rode 500 miles issue free.

Summerized it with seafoam. New battery this winter. First ride out, was fine until 22 miles later. Bogging but could burp throttle out of it. After 5 miles, problem went away. Then 5 miles later, stopped after crossing highway, was idling fine then RPMs started bouncing and died. Wouldn't start. Disconnected POD and away we went. Still felt a couple bogs but not bad. Reconnected POD, was fine but then again, felt a couple bogs but never died again. Seems like a fuel issue to me but then again, what do I know.

Ideas? Could it be with the fuel pickup? Smart valves? Fuel filter?

HELP. Willing to pay to get his thing fixed. Nerve wracking wondering if I will make it home or not with this sled. :boohoo:

#17 ·
So you disconnect the pod and it started?
If so, did it continue to run after your plugged it back in?
Have you tried disconnecting the TSS switch?
Assume cable is properly adjusted / is not pulling out of the throttle block?
Was the first ride on fresh or old fuel?
If old, did you top off with new and add more SeaFoam?
Valves cleaned and adjusted?

#18 ·
So you disconnect the pod and it started? Yes
If so, did it continue to run after your plugged it back in? yes
Have you tried disconnecting the TSS switch? yes
Assume cable is properly adjusted / is not pulling out of the throttle block? Yes
Was the first ride on fresh or old fuel? Mix of old and new
If old, did you top off with new and add more SeaFoam? top off with new, did not add more Seafoam
Valves cleaned and adjusted? Will recheck but cleaned from last year.

#19 ·
So I would not read too much into it until you've added an additional squirt of SeaFoam into the mix and run at least one tank through it. Old gas (yes even stored with SeaFoam) can cause a bunch of issues until full purged.
Be sure to check the valves and cables + adjustment.
Cable with even a slight bind = replace
Confirm springs on top of the valves are not broken, becoming increasing common and yes can cause all kinds of issues. If they are original, replace regardless of condition.
Valves, especially the section that acts as a stop, must be clean clean clean. Even a slight build up puts cable adjustment outta whack.

#23 ·
I had a similar issue a few yEars back with my 07 f8. Would run great for 30 to 40 miles that shut off. Checked everything and finally took to dealership. It took 2 trips but they found a chaffed harness on the right spar. They repaired the wire and alls good. I guess it to a few miles for the engine to warm up and the harness become flexible for it to rub. Good luck

#25 ·
This sounds exactly like mine. ZR suggested I reduce oil ratio from the current 38/1 to 60-65/1, and I will do so. Ref my most recent thread.

What Supermario says regarding rubbing: I will check that too on my sled.

Bobweiser, have you reached a conclusion and fix for yours yet?

#26 ·
Injectors use 9 volts to open and they had alot of them getting stuck if you hit them with 12 volts just to hear a slight click they should work fine but my guess is a wiring issue have seen lots with the green death in the connections and this causes shorts and can be causing you all your issues hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.