Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

2008 F8 Sno Pro Issue

10K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  MN08F8 
#1 ·
I bought this sled in the spring of 2009 with 700 miles on it. This past winter I could always smell raw gas when around the machine. Couldn't find any leaks or anything like that. It ran great except I got bad mpgs with it. The first year I got around 14 with it. Last year was about 10. Late in winter, I went to my dealer. The guy ran my VIN and said I need a free ECM remap done. They had to remove it from the sled and send it to Cat. So today I call them back and ask when I can drop the sled off. The lady ran my VIN again and says there aren't any recalls or anything like that. All they can do is order a kit for it-at my expense. Any other 2008 F8 owners have any insight into this issue? I love my sled and want it to be mine for a long time, so selling it is out. Just don't know why I got one story in march and another one now.

#2 ·
Lotsa things contribute to poor mileage.

-belt worn or improperly adjusted
-dirty or worn out clutches / components
-track too tight
-sliders worn
-wheels or shaft bearings seized or tight
-dirty injectors
-poor snow conditions
-trigger finger is larger than you think

Gas smell, look closely at your tank in the area where the fuel pump mounts for any sign of a gas stain / leak, cracks are becoming a common issue.

#3 ·
Will do, but it seems odd that the service guy in March told me there was a recall and it would be free. Then, months later, I'm told by a different service person that there never was one. She claims the first guy didn't read the entire thing, pointing out that the Crossfire 8 had a recall. I tend to believe her.
At least I'm not the guy who just bought a new 2012 and is -well, less than happy.
Thanks.

#4 ·
I don't recall a reprogram for the '08 F8.
I put any thoughts of buying a 2012 to rest after I spent a few moments sitting on one. Clearly Cat screwed up the seat to bars to foot rests positioning, feels cramped like a Rev, nothing like the ever so roomy n comfy F sled it replaces.

#5 ·
My ECM was changed out, on my 08 F8 S.P.. I remeber it did have something to do with vin number. And the color of the paint dot on it also tells them some thing. Cant remeber,something to do with the injectors??? think they also had a color on them? I always got around 12-14 MPG. Mine also had a little bit of dampness/gas around the fuel pump hole,but never smelled gas. Did you ever pull your intake blank off,or put a shift assist in the secondary. I remeber we talked about that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.