Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

2010 arctic cat recall

14K views 39 replies 17 participants last post by  Curless Auto Repair 
#1 ·
ther is a recall for alot of 2010 arctic cat snowmobiles.the lower a-arms are breaking.not good at high speed

#3 ·
ARCTIC CAT RECALLS SNOWMOBILES DUE TO A LOSS OF CONTROL HAZARD

U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
Office of Information and Public Affairs
Washington, D.C. 20207
January 18, 2011
The following product safety recall was voluntarily conducted by the firm in cooperation with the CPSC. Consumers should stop using the product immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.
Name of product : Snowmobiles
Units : About 16,500
Manufacturer : Arctic Cat Inc., of Thief River Falls, Minn.
Hazard : The front lower suspension arm can crack during use which could lead to loss of control, posing a risk of severe injury or death.
Incidents/Injuries : Arctic Cat has received 13 reports of suspension arms cracking. No injuries or accidents have been reported.
Description : This recall involves all 2010 Arctic Cat Z1, TZ1, F, Bearcat, M, and CF model snowmobiles. All variations of color and model features of the models listed are included in this recall. The model name is indicated on the side of vehicle, in the registration materials and owner’s manual.
Sold at : Arctic Cat dealerships nationwide from June 2009 through January 2011 for between $6,800 and $15,000.
Manufactured in : United States
Remedy : Consumers should immediately stop using these snowmobiles and contact their local Arctic Cat snowmobile dealer to schedule a free repair. Registered owners have been directly notified about this recall by mail.
Consumer Contact : For additional information, contact Arctic Cat at (800) 279-6851 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. CT Monday through Friday or visit the firm’s website at www.arcticcat.com.

#5 ·
called my dealer tonight, he didn't think that my 2010 F8 Sno Pro was recalled. Have to call him back tomorrow with VIN number to know for sure.

What part of this is your sled not in?
Description : This recall involves all 2010 Arctic Cat Z1, TZ1, F, Bearcat, M, and CF model snowmobiles. All variations of color and model features of the models listed are included in this recall. The model name is indicated on the side of vehicle, in the registration materials and owner’s manual.

From what I heard the SNOPRO race sleds 500/600 are not involved along with the 120s.

#9 ·
Here is the letter sent to owners of the sleds effected by the recall.

Jeff @ Funoutfitters.com

Safety Alert Notice
January 19, 2011
Dear Arctic Cat Snowmobile Owner,
RE: Lower A-Arm Bracket
Our records indicate that you are a registered owner of at least one of the affected snowmobiles.
What is the reason for this recall?
On the affected models, the lower front A-arms may fracture during use. If this condition were to occur, it
could affect steering control which in turn could cause loss of control of the snowmobile which presents
the possibility of serious injury or death.
What should I do?
Stop operating your snowmobile immediately! Please contact an authorized Arctic Cat snowmobile
dealership as soon as possible and make arrangements to have this very important service work
completed. This service will be done at no charge to you. If you have sold the affected snowmobile,
please contact the new owner concerning this very important matter.
We apologize for this inconvenience; however, we have taken this action in the interest of your safety and
continued satisfaction of our products.
If you have any questions concerning this notice, call Arctic Cat at 1-800-279-6851.
Sincerely,
Product Service and Warranty Department

G
#10 ·
Here is the letter sent to owners of the sleds effected by the recall.

Jeff @ Funoutfitters.com

Safety Alert Notice
January 19, 2011
Dear Arctic Cat Snowmobile Owner,
RE: Lower A-Arm Bracket
Our records indicate that you are a registered owner of at least one of the affected snowmobiles.
What is the reason for this recall?
On the affected models, the lower front A-arms may fracture during use. If this condition were to occur, it
could affect steering control which in turn could cause loss of control of the snowmobile which presents
the possibility of serious injury or death.
What should I do?
Stop operating your snowmobile immediately! Please contact an authorized Arctic Cat snowmobile
dealership as soon as possible and make arrangements to have this very important service work
completed. This service will be done at no charge to you. If you have sold the affected snowmobile,
please contact the new owner concerning this very important matter.
We apologize for this inconvenience; however, we have taken this action in the interest of your safety and
continued satisfaction of our products.
If you have any questions concerning this notice, call Arctic Cat at 1-800-279-6851.
Sincerely,
Product Service and Warranty Department

So what are they installing on the lower A-arms to strengthen them up from possible brittle metal? Pictures?

#16 ·
My new F6 is getting the recall done tomorrow morning..First one in the shop.!! Apparently they have 80 sets ordered!

G
#24 ·
What does this kit consist of? anyone seen one? Why are these breaking and not 2009? I have a M8 and the paint is comeing off at the cross brace, possible flexing??
The kit as others have said is just a two piece bracket that goes on the front of the lower control arm. The reason they are breaking is there was a bad batch (brittle steel) of them made and Cat has no way of knowing which ones got that from there supplier so they are going to put the bracket (wont even notice it once it is installed I have been told) on all of the sleds. Paint flacking off is probably not an indicator.

#25 ·
pics of the brackets for the a-arm recall

does anyone have a pic or more information about the recall of the lower a-arms. After inspecting my a-arms I can see where the rear bar is hitting the chassis and it has removed so paint from the arm and also put a very small crease in the arm. No bracket is going to fix that unless you redesign a new a-arm. any help would be great.

G
#28 ·
does anyone have a pic or more information about the recall of the lower a-arms. After inspecting my a-arms I can see where the rear bar is hitting the chassis and it has removed so paint from the arm and also put a very small crease in the arm. No bracket is going to fix that unless you redesign a new a-arm. any help would be great.
That crease you see came from shipping. When the shocks are installed it cannot hit the frame/ bulkhead. That is not what Cat is worried about. They should install a bumper in there for when the sled is crated but never have.

#26 ·
Does anyone know how much work it is to change the lower arms? The ones on mine look to be cracked,but it's hard to see in the suspect area. I talked to the dealer,and he said the kits were backordered so i had him order me a pair of new arms. He asked me if i could put them on 'cause the shop was too busy,and we're leaving on a 10 day trip on fri.

#27 ·
Well, I hit a ditch culvert this weekend and get to replace mine now. I can tell you that taking the arms off takes some time. you have to remove the front fascia completely to get the front lower bolts out. It took me about an hour to dismantle the front. I am a mechanic by trade though and I have an extensive set of tools. It may take longer for someone else.

G
#34 ·
How do you break an A-arm in the first place. I have been sledding for 38 years and have never broke a suspension part. NEVER! I am starting to see why many are denied warranty work on there sleds. Careless driving habbits.

#36 ·
From what I have seen it is the tube in the a-arm where it is attached to bulkhead. More then likely these tubes are cut from tube stock. That tube stock is generally welded together to create a long seam. If the weld in the tube stock is bad then it will split appart under load.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.