NavbitArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » Arctic Cat Snowmobiles » CrossFire 136-141 » My 2006 Crossfire 700 mods and updates

Old 02-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #1

Sled: 2011 HCR, 2006 CF7
10-11 Mileage: 350
09-10 Mileage: 150
07-08 Mileage: 350
My 2006 Crossfire 700 mods and updates

I love this sled and am just beginning to realize its full potential. As I make changes, I figured I may as well contribute to the countless posts others have shared with their own mods, updates, improvements, etc. I've moved alot with the military, was unable to ride several years, and have only had the chance to log about 700 miles on my CF7 since I bought it late Feb 2011.

My family has many Cats, my last 3 personal sleds were a 2005 King Cat 900efi, a 2001 Mountain Cat 600efi, and a 1999 ZR 600efi. Not knowing what the Crossfire was capable of, I was still greatly impressed with the ride and the power the first time I rode it. I've done alot of reading and wrench turning and this thing is really starting to come alive now.

I bought it used with 1,400 miles on it from the original owner. The Black Hills are about 4,000-6,000 elevation but he had it clutched with the 6,000+ helix. It had stock clutch springs and a Shift Assist installed with weights for the Black Hills elevation. Like I said, I was impressed with that setup, the Ripsaw track, and poor belt deflection.

I rode it the way I bought it for the rest of 2011. It came with M-series skis, a windshield bag, tunnel bag, MBRP can, and decals that the original owner liked better than stock with a matching white windshield.

I spent the majority of 2011-2012 winter deployed. This gave me plenty of opportunity to look for things and read online when I wasn't flying. I ordered an AMR graphics kit along with a black windshield to replace the original owner's decals. I also bought a 144" track but the extensions I ordered never shipped and after several weeks and a phone call, I cancelled the order. The only other thing I did in Feb of 2012 was pull the DD, clean it, and drop in new fluid.

I deployed again in July of 2012 and just returned a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't decide if I was going to buy a new ProClimb, a leftover CF8 H.O. or just spend some money on my CF7 to make it better. I found out last fall that I'm moving to Colorado Springs in May. Catch 22...better riding in CO but I started saving money to buy another house, so the CF7 with some updates was a cheaper option than buying a new sled.

I ordered a set of Ice Age 144" black anodized rails. After some research, I realized that required a set of 8" wheels and an axle to go with them. I thought the stock wheels might work but they do not. I did ride 100 miles with the stock 6.38" wheels extended all the way out. There was some slack in the track and the rails tips rubbed a little, but not bad. I installed a BDX 2-wheel kit and when I went to swap the upper idlers with the inner rear 6.38 wheels, I was surprised to find that was already done. The Ice Age adjusters didn't work but the stock Cat adjusters bolted right to the Ice Age rails. The only remaining problem is the outer front wheels will not bolt to the Ice Age rails. This will need to be fixed with a dremel and it is unfortunate since I paid extra to have them anodized and now I have to grind away at them just to get a basic bolt on swap to work out. The 100 miles I rode last week with the small rear wheels was still a huge improvement. With the dremel mod I need to do, the final rear skid will be a 144" track, 144" Ice Age black anodized rails, two Ice Age 8" wheels with a BDX 2-wheel kit, axle bushings from a Cat 8" axle, and 6.38" upper idlers. It looks better than stock and is a completely different sled on and off the track with the Ripsaw left in the garage.

After reading many opinions, I opted for an M-series seat. With the black tunnel, black skid, and plans for black belly pans, I wanted to find an all black seat. With some patience, I was able to pick up a brand new all black seat for about $225 off of EBay. It was definitely worth the money. The storage is great, it is lighter, it looks better, and the riding transition from sitting to standing is great. For the money, I'm not sure which was the better mod so far...the seat or the skid/track. They were both definitely worth the money and I'm glad I changed both.

The last thing I'm going to change this year is the clutching. I honestly don't mind the setup right now, but I realize there is quite a bit of untapped potential. When I did the track and rail swap, I installed the new aluminum belt adjuster and set the belt deflection correctly. The belt has riding a little low in the secondary, but nothing bad. Needless to say, setting it correctly made a huge improvement. I didn't want to change the clutching, then have to adjust it again once I added the 144" track. For now, I'm not planning to touch the primary. The secondary with green spring, Shift Assist, and 36* helix pulls pretty good. I plan to try to stock 44/40 next. After that, I'll either install my Formula X-1 kit on the stock 10.0, or try the stock setup on my new BDX 10.4 HD. It will come down to time more than anything. I plan to swap the belly pan before I try the 10.4 clutch. I know I can cut the stock pan and add the tub piece for the larger clutch, but I think I'd like to just order the black pan while I'm at it. Until I get that done, I figure I may as well run the 10.0 stock clutch and see the changes on the Formula X-1 kit.

Parts sitting in my garage: BDX Rock Rollers, BDX 10.4 HD secondary, Formula X-1 clutch kit.

I still plan to turn down the oil pump.

I'd like to install Fox Floats up front.

Once I get a couple hundred miles in CO, I may gear a bit lower too. This might end up being the girlfriend's sled next year though depending on what I buy next. Honestly, I think I'm probably going to look for another Crossfire, for the money they're amazing.

Mors ab Alto

Last edited by nubbyzr600; 02-26-2013 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Pictures Added
nubbyzr600 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nubbyzr600 For This Useful Post:
kalebtimberlake Moderator (04-24-2013)
Remove Ads
Old 02-21-2013, 10:41 PM   #2

Sled: 2006 Crossfire 7
10-11 Mileage: 1200
09-10 Mileage: 1800
08-09 Mileage: 1800
07-08 Mileage: 1800
06-07 Mileage: 2000
ATV: 2009 RZR S Weber Turbo
2010 Mileage: 300
2009 Mileage: 200
2008 Mileage: 200
2007 Mileage: 200
2006 Mileage: 200
Sounds pretty sweet. Can't wait to see the pix. If you are running 60/60 gearing, I would not change it. Just clutch it right. Aftermarket pipes work better than aftermarket cans. 144 track sounds intriguing. Which one did you end up with?
Bigborerhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:16 AM   #3

Yeah nice post but where are the pictures of proof. I am really liking my new to me crossfire coming from a 01' zr 600
wfburton159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
Sled: 06 xfire 700, 06 xfire 700
ATV: 05 sportsman 700
If y0u are switching out plastics, you might want to consider getting M plastics for it and putting an M can on. The 06 crossfires are the odd duck of the lot for exhaust as they exhaust out the bottom vs. the front like the M's and all the other CF's.

It's better having it out the front in deep powder anyway, and I'm having a harder time finding an ultra q or slp can for the 06's, as they were the only model and year with that style. The exhaust pipe is the same either way. Not sure what else exactly you'd have to change. I'm looking at doing it to one of mine though.
xf7nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #5

I realized tonight that I don't have any pictures of the new track, seat, and 8" 2-wheel kit installed. It's on the trailer under the cover in the garage right now so maybe this weekend I'll be able to add a few more pictures. I really like the all black skid. The wheels are all black, rails are black, seat and tunnel are all black. I'm thinking I'll buy black A-arms as well or else have mine powder coated.

Mors ab Alto
Old 03-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #6

I also did the 144 ice age rails powder coated orange with 8 inch billet wheels man that was a sweet upgrade. I wished I had gone with the M seat instead of the boss but its good enough. let me find a few pics..

My next mod will be replacing my 9000 mile clutches with something aftermark I was thinking a comet primary and a BDX 10.4 HD secondary but I still need to research it more.

swamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #7

swamper, did you have any issues with the front sets of single mount idler wheels mounting to the Ice Age rails? Mine DO NOT fit. It's going to take a dremel and a few hours of grinding thr rail edge to get the aluminum stock mounting piece to fit flush against the rail. I already broke one of the brackets trying to tighten it down to see what I could do. The rib on the Ice Age rails is too fat and too deep to get the brackets mounted flush.

Mors ab Alto
Old 03-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #8

Hi Nubby I had the exact same issue in fact I broke one as well!!

Little grinding/buffing fixed it right up but DON't GRIND YOUR SWEET RAILS grind the bracket piece, and I also orb'd my holes a bit... This way if you wreck your 10 dollar bracket it's easy to get another one from Cat but the rails are a lot of money I would leave them alone.

I think these rails are a spin off the Polaris factory and this company is like a sister company for just aftermarket goodies. (i might be assuming a lot but I went right down there and picked them up locally and that was my understanding...) One thing I wonder is if I need new sliders do I just go get them from the Polaris dealership because I have a feeling they will fit.

Last edited by swamper; 03-04-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #9

I also just ordered this today can't wait
Clutch Black Diamond Xtreme
and the BDX rock rollers

I went with comet 108EXP
Page 124 - 2013 Fall/Winter Catalogue

And a 911 Response Clutch Cover
Thunder Products - Performance carburetor and clutching for snowmobiles, motorcycles and ATVs.

Yea I'm stoked can't wait to get my parts hehehe
Old 03-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #10

Quote: Originally Posted by swamper View Post
Hi Nubby I had the exact same issue in fact I broke one as well!!

Little grinding/buffing fixed it right up but DON't GRIND YOUR SWEET RAILS grind the bracket piece, and I also orb'd my holes a bit... This way if you wreck your 10 dollar bracket it's easy to get another one from Cat but the rails are a lot of money I would leave them alone.

I think these rails are a spin off the Polaris factory and this company is like a sister company for just aftermarket goodies. (i might be assuming a lot but I went right down there and picked them up locally and that was my understanding...) One thing I wonder is if I need new sliders do I just go get them from the Polaris dealership because I have a feeling they will fit.
I would hate grinding the rails for what I paid, plus the anodizing. I would need to take quite a bit off the brackets though...to the point that I think they'd be pretty weak. I was a little disappointed they didn't fit for as much as I paid for the rails.

The guys at Ice Age told me the rails were made for Polaris slides. They said Cat slides would fit but they'd be really tight. I thought about buying black slides from Polaris but the white slides only bother me when its on the trailer...in the snow you can't tell.

Mors ab Alto

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » Arctic Cat Snowmobiles » CrossFire 136-141

Search tags for this page
06 crossfire 700 mods
136 to 141 crossfire mod
2006 arctic cat crossfire 700

2006 crossfire 700

2006 crossfire mods 700
2006 crossfire windshield 700
best 2006 crossfire mods
crossfire 700 fourm
crossfire 700 mods
mods for arctic cat crossfire 700
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.