chain and reverse gear grinding - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum

Bearcat / Utility Sharing info on your 2 or 4 stroke

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-20-2017, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Sled: 2008 AC Bearcat 570
chain and reverse gear grinding

Anyone know what would cause the inside of the outer reverse gear and the outside of the drive chain to grind together? This is an '08 AC Bearcat 570.

I changed 4 bearings (2 jackshaft and 2 drive axle)...put it all back together and get this grinding...and it'll create a vibration in the frame heavy enough that you can feel it through your winter boots should you have them planted on the running boards.

I don't know if I screwed up the bearing install...don't think I did, but you never know...

I've gotten some helpful replies from 660catman , but I thought I post again with a more specific description...ah'm completely out of ideas on this one.

Last edited by oaken; 04-20-2017 at 09:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to oaken For This Useful Post:
660catman (04-21-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-20-2017, 10:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaken View Post
Anyone know what would cause the inside of the outer reverse gear and the outside of the drive chain to grind together? This is an '08 AC Bearcat 570.

I changed 4 bearings (2 jackshaft and 2 drive axle)...put it all back together and get this grinding...and it'll create a vibration in the frame heavy enough that you can feel it through your winter boots should you have them planted on the running boards.

I don't know if I screwed up the bearing install...don't think I did, but you never know...

I've gotten some helpful replies from 660catman , but I thought I post again with a more specific description...ah'm completely out of ideas on this one.

Just out of curiosity is your track too tight? Is it definitely making metal in the chaincase when you pull your plug? Does this model have an automatic chain tensioner and is that set correctly? Often times with these things it's the simplest item causing the issue. What are the odds you got a bad bearing right out of the package?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Takman74 For This Useful Post:
oaken (04-21-2017)
post #3 of 11 Old 04-21-2017, 07:18 AM

Garage
Sled: 16 Bearcat XT, 06 T660 TT, 05 S/Cat 600
ATV: 03 400 4x4 auto FIS, 05 300 4x4
I read your other post, my manual a number of times and thought about when I did my bearings. I cannot for the life of me figure out what is wrong.

Current Sled rides
2005 Sabercat 600 EFI LX
2006 T660 Turbo Touring
2016 Bearcat 2000XT

Past Sled rides
1993 Pantera 550 EFI
1980 El Tigre 6000

Current ATV rides
2005 A/C 300 manual 4x4
RTR Bushings & shock bushings

2003 A/C 400 auto 4x4 FIS
RTR Steerlites & Shock Bushings
Motobatt battery
26" Kenda Bearclaw HTR's

2003 A/C 400 manual ACT 4x4
RTR Shock Bushings
Rebuild Project started Mar 15 / 2017
Completed April 8 / 2017
The Following User Says Thank You to 660catman For This Useful Post:
oaken (04-21-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-21-2017, 07:46 AM

Garage
Sled: 16 Bearcat XT, 06 T660 TT, 05 S/Cat 600
ATV: 03 400 4x4 auto FIS, 05 300 4x4
I woke up. Do the top and bottom gear line up? Top gear slightly out and bottom gear slightly in would make chain rub on outermost portion of reverse gear. It's important to lock jackshaft and driveshaft in correct alignment.

Current Sled rides
2005 Sabercat 600 EFI LX
2006 T660 Turbo Touring
2016 Bearcat 2000XT

Past Sled rides
1993 Pantera 550 EFI
1980 El Tigre 6000

Current ATV rides
2005 A/C 300 manual 4x4
RTR Bushings & shock bushings

2003 A/C 400 auto 4x4 FIS
RTR Steerlites & Shock Bushings
Motobatt battery
26" Kenda Bearclaw HTR's

2003 A/C 400 manual ACT 4x4
RTR Shock Bushings
Rebuild Project started Mar 15 / 2017
Completed April 8 / 2017
The Following User Says Thank You to 660catman For This Useful Post:
oaken (04-21-2017)
post #5 of 11 Old 04-21-2017, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Well, let's see.

I drove it at a snail's pace about 3/4 km yesterday...it vibrated and 'ground' its way along, after the first 50 feet or so.... This morning I drove it back here...in reverse...not a sound, only a few puzzled looks! Removed the drain plug and found what you see on the attached thumbnail (and apologies for the size of the pic's). Those are metal filings of the type you might use in science class to demonstrate magnetic fields...about 750 metres worth!

I took the chaincase apart again today...the inside of the outer reverse gear (see thumbnail) shows what looks to my untutored eye as a distinct wear pattern on the outer edge...all shiny and new...the few marks around the pin-holes in the centre strike me as normal wear.

And the chain looks to have some wear on it, too...along its outer edge, looks like...and the link pins are wearing, too, I think...(see thmbnl).

And the open case looks fine, not that you can tell much from that, I suppose...the blue is the locktite.

Both upper and lower bearings are solidly in place and kept there by their flanges...the jack and drive shafts look to be in place as much as they ever were. The adjuster is manual...I just set it finger tight and add a slight nudge with a wrench and set it in place. The track is adjusted according to AC specs...from the service manual. My straightedge says the upper and lower gears are aligned.

The large thrust washer on the drive axle is fine...I thought if it were twisted somehow it would cause a problem, but I couldn't get a .004" feeler gauge underneath it anywhere with it on a flat steel surface.

The initial problem, I think, came about when the bolt in the lower gears backed off some...altho I had to use a socket to remove it. Initially there was this pulsating that was more felt than heard and which then over the course of three hours or so became 'heard'...and finally on the leg home there was a light grinding sound, but nothing like what I heard last evening when I drove it (against my better judgement, I don't mind saying) home.

I don't mean to kick this around so much, but I have no other source of AC insight and experience...no dealer anywhere near (air freight to the nearest dealer's about $1200 ).

I'm thinking of reinstalling the original bearing...bearing was fine but I replaced all four since the upper chaincase bearing had some roughness when turned and PTO jackshaft bearings was in bad shape.

Thanks for the replies guys...really appreciate your time.

But...if you think of anything else!!

jl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drain plug.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	302802   Click image for larger version

Name:	inner face of outer reverse gear.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	302810   Click image for larger version

Name:	chain link wear.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	302818   Click image for larger version

Name:	empty case.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	749.1 KB
ID:	302826  
post #6 of 11 Old 04-21-2017, 07:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Well, let's see.

I drove it at a snail's pace about 3/4 km yesterday...it vibrated and 'ground' its way along, after the first 50 feet or so.... This morning I drove it back here...in reverse...not a sound, only a few puzzled looks! Removed the drain plug and found what you see on the attached thumbnail (and apologies for the size of the pic's). Those are metal filings of the type you might use in science class to demonstrate magnetic fields...about 750 metres worth!

I took the chaincase apart again today...the inside of the outer reverse gear (see thumbnail) shows what looks to my untutored eye as a distinct wear pattern on the outer edge...all shiny and new...the few marks around the pin-holes in the centre strike me as normal wear.

And the chain looks to have some wear on it, too...along its outer edge, looks like...and the link pins are wearing, too, I think...(see thmbnl).

And the open case looks fine, not that you can tell much from that, I suppose...the blue is the locktite.

Both upper and lower bearings are solidly in place and kept there by their flanges...the jack and drive shafts look to be in place as much as they ever were. The adjuster is manual...I just set it finger tight and add a slight nudge with a wrench and set it in place. The track is adjusted according to AC specs...from the service manual. My straightedge says the upper and lower gears are aligned.

The large thrust washer on the drive axle is fine...I thought if it were twisted somehow it would cause a problem, but I couldn't get a .004" feeler gauge underneath it anywhere with it on a flat steel surface.

The initial problem, I think, came about when the bolt in the lower gears backed off some...altho I had to use a socket to remove it. Initially there was this pulsating that was more felt than heard and which then over the course of three hours or so became 'heard'...and finally on the leg home there was a light grinding sound, but nothing like what I heard last evening when I drove it (against my better judgement, I don't mind saying) home.

I don't mean to kick this around so much, but I have no other source of AC insight and experience...no dealer anywhere near (air freight to the nearest dealer's about $1200 ).

I'm thinking of reinstalling the original bearing...bearing was fine but I replaced all four since the upper chaincase bearing had some roughness when turned and PTO jackshaft bearings was in bad shape.

Thanks for the replies guys...really appreciate your time.

But...if you think of anything else!!

jl

Good details of the photos. For the gear that's wearing is it possible to install in backwards? Looks to me like the chain is wearing on the gear as the top and bottom gear aren't aligned perfectly. That's way too much metal on the plug!!

post #7 of 11 Old 04-21-2017, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

I noticed this evening that the extension shaft, which slides over the lower axle splines, is wobbly...not sure if that's normal. But possibly it firms up when the bolt is tightened?

I know not what ails it.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-21-2017, 08:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
I noticed this evening that the extension shaft, which slides over the lower axle splines, is wobbly...not sure if that's normal. But possibly it firms up when the bolt is tightened?

I know not what ails it.

There should be very minimal movement on the shafts. I.e. Not as much wobble as you're describing. I like these diagrams as they clearly show how everything is assembled and in what sequence.

The Following User Says Thank You to Takman74 For This Useful Post:
oaken (04-21-2017)
post #9 of 11 Old 04-21-2017, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Just checked the 'wobble' theory ...placing the extension shaft and the inner gear onto the axle splines and pushing in hard on it pretty much eliminates any wobble, seems like, and with it all bolted up tight I'm thinking there'd be no wobble at all (I think).

Those schematics are mighty helpful for sure...foolproof how its assembled, really...which only adds to the puzzle.

...maybe something's damaged and it's difficult to see.

The stuff of nightmares ;-)

Thanks for the response, Takman74.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-21-2017, 08:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Just checked the 'wobble' theory ...placing the extension shaft and the inner gear onto the axle splines and pushing in hard on it pretty much eliminates any wobble, seems like, and with it all bolted up tight I'm thinking there'd be no wobble at all (I think).

Those schematics are mighty helpful for sure...foolproof how its assembled, really...which only adds to the puzzle.

...maybe something's damaged and it's difficult to see.

The stuff of nightmares ;-)

Thanks for the response, Takman74.

Nothing more frustrating. Hope you figure it out and get it sorted. Best wishes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum > Snowmobiles > Arctic Cat Snowmobiles > Bearcat / Utility

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode