LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 03-16-2017, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Sled: 2008 F5 2007 F5 04 z370 91 Cheetah Tour
08-09 Mileage: 100
07-08 Mileage: 1000
06-07 Mileage: 600
ATV: 2004 Rhino
Bearcat 3000 LT first ride impressions

So we got dumped on with 16+ inches of snow on Tueday and we got a chance to take the Bearcats out for a spin. My wife liked how quite it is and the lack of smell but does not like the engine braking feel when you let off of the gas.

I really like the tractor like feel/control of the throttle, can go very slow easily and it is quite at low speeds though going faster it is quite noise through the vent in the top of the cowling. I also agree the engine braking is anoying but I think Ill get used to it and it isnt as obvious when your going fast.

I also did some grooming with it and it did amazingly well, I rode out and packed the trails then went and rode elsewhere for about 30 min and I came back and groomed. Towing a 4ft wide pipe drag it pulled it easily, I even when up a hill that normally I can only drag with the skandic the first time down.

I did smell the belt a little on and off so wondering if its geared a tad high, thinking for the club bearcat which will spend its life groooming if we want to gear it down a bit.

Also, the vent in the cowling, does anyone know if that can be blocked to reduce noise?

~ Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-16-2017, 07:21 AM

Sled: 2016 Bearcat 3000, Ovation 340
ATV: Prowler HDX, Yam Warrior, Honda Big Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpilihp View Post

Also, the vent in the cowling, does anyone know if that can be blocked to reduce noise?

~ Phil
You can replace that vent with a Goggle Bag from the Arctic Cat accessories. I have not tried it on the 3000 but on other models it reduced noise, so it should have the same result on the 3000.
post #3 of 22 Old 03-16-2017, 10:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpilihp View Post
So we got dumped on with 16+ inches of snow on Tueday and we got a chance to take the Bearcats out for a spin. My wife liked how quite it is and the lack of smell but does not like the engine braking feel when you let off of the gas.

I really like the tractor like feel/control of the throttle, can go very slow easily and it is quite at low speeds though going faster it is quite noise through the vent in the top of the cowling. I also agree the engine braking is anoying but I think Ill get used to it and it isnt as obvious when your going fast.

I also did some grooming with it and it did amazingly well, I rode out and packed the trails then went and rode elsewhere for about 30 min and I came back and groomed. Towing a 4ft wide pipe drag it pulled it easily, I even when up a hill that normally I can only drag with the skandic the first time down.

I did smell the belt a little on and off so wondering if its geared a tad high, thinking for the club bearcat which will spend its life groooming if we want to gear it down a bit.

~ Phil

That's awesome. For smelling the belt make sure that it's riding correctly in the secondary. It's amazing how much the belt will stretch. It's easy to adjust the belt with the shims that are available in your tool kit. Ours stretched to the point where it eventually wouldn't pull itself without smoking the belt. My son didn't notice it until it was to that point. I bet yours needs just a tiny adjustment. You'll get used to the engine braking torque of the 4stroke and actually come to use it to your advantage. I'm envious of the snow you guys got. We got rain here and it took all the snow away to the point that we can't ride. Still lots of winter left here though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 03-16-2017, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Hi thanks for the tip ill look in the tool kit. We had no snow locally (coastal maine) but this storm put us back to riding least this weekend. Great snow up north.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #5 of 22 Old 03-16-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takman74 View Post
That's awesome. For smelling the belt make sure that it's riding correctly in the secondary. It's amazing how much the belt will stretch. It's easy to adjust the belt with the shims that are available in your tool kit. Ours stretched to the point where it eventually wouldn't pull itself without smoking the belt. My son didn't notice it until it was to that point. I bet yours needs just a tiny adjustment. You'll get used to the engine braking torque of the 4stroke and actually come to use it to your advantage. I'm envious of the snow you guys got. We got rain here and it took all the snow away to the point that we can't ride. Still lots of winter left here though.

Absolutely, adjusting the height of the belt in the driven clutch will make a big difference.

I also noticed that AC clutches like to be cleaned often. I use a simple hot water and soap mix, take the belt off and clean the clutches with a ruff sponge. Did this twice this season after pulling bogeys and drags for a few hours, with great results.
Takman74 likes this.
post #6 of 22 Old 03-16-2017, 12:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wheelerdude View Post
Absolutely, adjusting the height of the belt in the driven clutch will make a big difference.

I also noticed that AC clutches like to be cleaned often. I use a simple hot water and soap mix, take the belt off and clean the clutches with a ruff sponge. Did this twice this season after pulling bogeys and drags for a few hours, with great results.

That's an awesome tip! Not my sleds need to have this done. What kind of soap are you using?

post #7 of 22 Old 03-16-2017, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks foe the info!

post #8 of 22 Old 03-16-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takman74 View Post
That's an awesome tip! Not my sleds need to have this done. What kind of soap are you using?

Just regular Dawn dish soap. I dont even remove the clutch from the machine. Just slip the belt off, scrub the inside of the plates with the soap and hot water and then rinse, then dry with a dry cloth. Super easy and the sled feels much better after.

Towing some weight at slow speeds for long periods of time leaves some belt rubber and dust on the clutches, and that is what the 'washing' will remove.
Takman74 likes this.
post #9 of 22 Old 03-16-2017, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You can replace that vent with a Goggle Bag from the Arctic Cat accessories. I have not tried it on the 3000 but on other models it reduced noise, so it should have the same result on the 3000.
Thanks ill look for one.

post #10 of 22 Old 03-18-2017, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

I got to takr the clubs Bearcat out grooming last night,works great though i do smell belt burn every once in a while. I think dropping one tooth in the top gear will improve tee hat issue, need to run about 8 to 10 mph and its hard to stay at or below 10. Only reving about 3400 at 8mph.

Another issue, my bearcat when i stop the headlights go out, once i put the gas on and it revs a bit they come back on. I was thinking this must be a feature, but the clubs bearcat does not do this.

Anyone elses do this?

Phil

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum > Snowmobiles > Arctic Cat Snowmobiles > Bearcat / Utility

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode