How to make the Bearcat XT better in snow? - Page 2 - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum

Bearcat / Utility Sharing info on your 2 or 4 stroke

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 84 Old 03-01-2013, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Sled: Bearcat 660 & 660 turbo, F570, phazer gt
ATV: grizzly 700 , grizzly 300
Talking Pictures

I just loosen the articulate flip tension. Brought the nuts flush with the bolts heads to try and improve back up. Anyone out there experimented with the flip.

Here is a list of what I have done to help: 2 inch track, workhorse gear set, full bumper for protection and to fit winch, bra on front, hood screens and home made pods screens for clutch and brake side( bought ones didn't last), back up light, home made axe mate, windshield extention ( Royal Distributing brackets), gun boot holder and ski wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Labrador City-20130213-00012.jpg
Views:	872
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	223357   Click image for larger version

Name:	Labrador City-20130225-00014.jpg
Views:	797
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	223358   Click image for larger version

Name:	Labrador City-20130225-00015.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	223359   Click image for larger version

Name:	Labrador City-20130225-00017.jpg
Views:	1043
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	223360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Labrador City-20130225-00016.jpg
Views:	737
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	223361  

Last edited by 4 stroke convert; 03-01-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 84 Old 03-02-2013, 08:23 AM

Sled: 04 1M EFI, 01 Bearcat W/T, 10 Bearcat Z1
ATV: 2001 Big Bear Professional
You're in Lab City? Same here.... maybe we can get together for a ride. I'd love to try out the workhorse gear and "feel" the difference.
It may make me change my mind on it...

I have the same bumper from Pierre too except I removed the two smaller pieces on each side. I find the front part is adequate and is also long enough to deflect trees / brush away from the front and out around the skis because of it's shape.

With regards to making it back up better... there is a guy in Quebec that was installing new bolts for the articulating arms. The bolt was "bent" in a jig he made whhich kept it flipped up a little. It supposedly made it a lot better in reverse in deep snow.

I'll try to find the link for you......
post #13 of 84 Old 03-04-2013, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Love the big land

Yes and not a problem. There is two of them done in town now. I would love to have the link. Is it on another forum. The Quebec snowmobilers are pretty creative and inventive.

One year when I raced in Cain's there where two teams racing bearcats XT -- one from Goose and the other from Baie Comeau. Parked side by side the Quebec's Team Bearcats were 3 to 4 inches higher on the front -- excellent snow clearance. Was to tired to look close at the time. Would love to know what they did -- longer shocks or some sort of lift kits

Same team raced in the first race had a back up kit on their skis that stopped them from digging in on bearcat turbos 660

Wish you could find this stuff on the web.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 84 Old 03-12-2013, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Couple of observations

Did 320 km this weekend. Mild weather and snow clammy. New track flips a lot of snow. Bad when towing a sled. With the helper springs down the tracks brings up a lot snow and fills the inside of the track. Much better with the helpers up. I guess the running boards are kept up so it clears itself. Worked well breaking trails did about 125 km in the back woods. When it goes down it's bad. Hard to get out.

Thinking about the ski skins or Simmons gen iii ski next year for flotation. Any views on what's better?
post #15 of 84 Old 03-25-2013, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Angry More observations

Machine seems to back up better with the flip loosen. I have not notice more gas consumption yet but really haven't made a good comparison yet. Haven't been on a long trip with other machines or bearcats yet.

Pushes snow excellent. Calmly conditions this weekend and she was pushing a huge pile ahead of her. Two concerns 1. Should she be pushing that much snow? Shouldn't she ride on top. Maybe skins or wide skis next year 2. When she gets stuck she is stuck. No amount of digging or plucking on the skis will move her. Almost like the track won't turn. This can not be though not with the workhorse gear set haven't look at the clutches when this happens yet. I had to winch her out three times now which if frustrating given what I have done.

Would love some views on what could causes or correct this from those in Cat land
post #16 of 84 Old 10-05-2013, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Snow will fly soon

Any thoughts out there on whether it would be better to go with the wide Cat ski skins or ge wider skis -- Simmons or something else.
post #17 of 84 Old 10-14-2013, 06:14 AM

Sled: Everything
4 stroke convert, it seems you're not getting a lot of help here, other than the folks up in AK or Quebec, the Labrador gang is usually stuck helping themselves. The Utility segment is a tad specialized.

Do you really want to know what CQ Team #10, Deschenes/Deschenes had done w their front end to gain height? Guy Hovington is my friend and he was Jacques Deschenes' (RIP) usual partner but was out for eye surgery in 2009 when they ran the BC Z1's. Let me know.

For wide skis, I say try the skins. The Simmons wide skis cost a ton and unless you have serious darting problems, they're not worth the investment IMO.

You have done a great deal of work to make your Bearcat a better deep snow sled but I am doubtful it will ever parallel some of the other WT offerings in low speed/tight situations.
post #18 of 84 Old 10-14-2013, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

They were greats guys. Helped my partner and i out on the very first race. We had a lot of respect for them as we got to know them a little better on future races. They were true racers and represented what the race was intended to be. I raced a 660 regular bearcat on that first race. Good machine. We raced in them all except the last one.

You are right on the activity level on this particular section of this forum. Would love to know what they did but I think you may be right inthe machine not measuring up against others in the deep stuff. Wish it wasnt true. Bugs me.

It is the best rider!
post #19 of 84 Old 10-19-2013, 09:18 PM

Sled: Everything
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 stroke convert View Post
They were greats guys. Helped my partner and i out on the very first race. We had a lot of respect for them as we got to know them a little better on future races. They were true racers and represented what the race was intended to be. I raced a 660 regular bearcat on that first race. Good machine. We raced in them all except the last one.

You are right on the activity level on this particular section of this forum. Would love to know what they did but I think you may be right inthe machine not measuring up against others in the deep stuff. Wish it wasnt true. Bugs me.

It is the best rider!
I'll be chatting with Guy some time this week, I will try to see what he knows about the front end set-up. No sled can be great at everything, your Bearcat Z1 would bury my old V800 SWT on a frozen hard or slushy-soft lake or bog; there are pros and cons on either side.

I just picked up a 660 Turbo that I am building an engine for, my understanding is that they were pretty good sleds. Can you advise me on any weak points? I keep hearing about a jackshaft brg that is problematic.
post #20 of 84 Old 10-20-2013, 06:43 AM

Sled: sleds TZeeext,660's, polaris FST's
ATV: kawi/honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabradorBoy View Post
....... I keep hearing about a jackshaft brg that is problematic.

It is a very poor design. It does not seal well nor does it hold grease well ...in the wet...dry stuff it does better. So you either grease it several times per season depending up what you are riding in, or be prepared to replace that bearing often. Not a fun job but can be done by getting the sled up, and after removing the primary. The other end is in oil bath and will never fail.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum > Snowmobiles > Arctic Cat Snowmobiles > Bearcat / Utility

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode