Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

550 H1 EFI 09' with 28 Maxxis Zillas

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  cdkirk 
#1 ·
I bought a 09' 550 H1 EFI and I am looking to upgrade TIRES/RIMS

I am thinking about getting SS108 12" rims with 28" Maxxis Zillas-10 Front & 12 Rear, I do a lot of trail riding, hunting, and mudding.

Will I have any significant power loss?
Clearance Issues?
Warranty Problems?
Will I have to do any mods?

Any other issues I should be concerned about??

Thanks

#2 ·
The zillas should do well for you, untill you are in super deep mud. When you are riding deep deep mud i would get your self a set of 28 inch silverbacks. You can go up to a 30inch wheel on these bikes and have no clearence issues. Yes if you put a bigger tire on it, it will void your warrenty if you show up to the dealer with them on. Best bet is to keep your stockers, and just put them on if you need dealer to do work for you.

I would think that the 550h1 would have more then enough power to turn your zillas. How ever for the type of riding your doing would look at Outlaw MST's.

Now if you are in super deep mud with a heavy mud tire like a silverback, for mods i would just do the airdamn clutch mods.
What do you is search for airdamn on here, find the link to his website.

What the mod does is this, you pull your primary sheave out and you mail it to him. He machines it, cuts up to like 3mm out of the primary. This allows the belt to sit much lower on the primary doubleing your low end. No need to get a clutch kit, no need to reclock your secondary.

Also the nice thing about this mod, unless the dealer measures your primary which i doubt they will ever need to.

Air damn has 1000% positive feed back for this work. Also his machine work is as cheap if not cheaper then buying a clutch kit and rollers. He charges 100 dollars including the shipping back to you. He can usually send it back to the day after he receives it.

#3 ·
i got 28" zillas on 14" rims on my 550 and it is stock and turns them great at some time i am going to do a little clutching but its not really needed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.