Why Does My ATV Engine Pop When I Give It Throttle? - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum

Arctic Cat News This section contains news that relates to both Arctic Cat as well as ArcticChat.com. Front page news will go in this section and so only Administrators or Moderators may start new threads in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old 05-29-2017, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin

Administrator
Why Does My ATV Engine Pop When I Give It Throttle?

The ATV AnswerMan digs into a 2001 Arctic Cat 400

Why does my ATV engine pop when I give it throttle? This is the beginning of a very detailed question one of our readers asked the ATV AnswerMan.

Here is exactly what reader Jayson asked the Answerman (it is long and extremely detailed), followed by his answer:

Help,

I have a 2001 arctic cat 400 manual shift. The problem, The machine will start fine and idle like it should, once you get into the throttle it will start to misfire and back pop but will not die even if you hold the throttle, it just pops.

What I’ve done,

Last summer I began to have battery charging issues, my dad, who was the original owner of the bike, came over we started looking into fuses and wiring connectors and YouTubed the symptoms. What we learned was the voltage regulator could be bad so we purchased a “universal” for a certain amount of years arctic cats, mine falling in the category. The battery began charging correctly and everything seemed to run fine, appropriate voltage back and such. A short time later it began to run rough, so I assumed it was a fuel issue which, is what it seemed like and also we had done nothing to the carb other than drain it every year in the 10+ years we’ve had it. The carb was fairly clean a few chunks of stuff were in it but I’ve seen worse that runs better. I then put the carb back on after a thorough cleaning and installing a inline filter and had the same problem. I began searching just about every forum on the web and found a guy that had the wrong or bad voltage regulator that was sending to much power to the battery if he’d turn on the headlights it drew enough power to run fine. I figured quite a long shot but what the hell. I put the meter back on it and I was getting almost seventeen volts back, which was not the case when we first installed it. With the headlights on it drew down to almost perfect voltage, 14-14.6. It seemed to run great with the lights on which led me to believe the “universal” regulator we had bought which was much cheaper than others was the wrong one for my bike, we don’t have the receipt and I can’t get much help from who we bought it through to get it returned so I said screw it and ran the bike doing things around the yard like pull the harrow with the lights on until I could afford a full priced regulator. After three or four times of riding it it has begun to run like garbage again.

Cont....

To continue reading the longest question for ATV AnswerMan, head here: Why Does My ATV Engine Pop When I Give It Throttle? - ATV.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum > ArcticChat.com News > Arctic Cat News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode