All Other Brands Of ATVs Discussion (NO ARCTIC CATS) ATV Forum for discussions about all other ATV Manufacturers OTHER THAN ARCTIC CAT

Old 02-22-2011, 11:04 AM   #1

4wd for polaris explorer 400

i have a Polaris explorer 400... a 97! i recently noticed that the front left hub wont lock in but the front right wont unlock!! the left side isn't seased s if i start spin it jolts so to speak and locks fer a second and unlocks!! almost like a limited slip setup! but didn't think it had limited slip as the manual never mentioned it!! and were the right hub wont release, its kinda tough to drive in the snow cause its constantly getting stuck because it steers it to the left!! almost like a skid steer tractor if u know wat i mean! if anybody could help me out that would be much appritiated!! its kind of anoying, i get stuck all the time and end up having to get towed out!! havent taken the quad apaert as i dont wanna find out i need part and have it sit there till i figure out wat i need!!
scottie876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #2

start with changing the fluid in the hubs...there is some roller pins in there that go bad...they flatten out
ditchhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #3

4wd for polaris explorer 400

I have 97 xplorer 500 and went thru the same thing. if changing the fluid did not work, you will want to take the hub assy apart. 1 remove brake caliper, 2 remove plastic cover on hub(catch the oil in something, it will run out)3 remove cotter pin and axle nut. whole assy slides off at this point. note order of bearings and all as you dissassemble. there is a clutch inside the hub assy that has rollers held on by a garter spring. on the back of this hub is a flat spacer that is the armature plate. check all parts for wear. replace armature plate if worn. check inner surface of hub for damage. if the strut hub seal sleeve is worn, the job gets a bit more complex and expensive. check out donwoodspolaris for exploded view schematics and part numbers. hit-the-gas on ebay has great prices on polaris parts. a-sower@comcast.net if you have and questions. good luck!
asower is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » All Other Brands Of ATVs Discussion (NO ARCTIC CATS)

Search tags for this page

1995 polaris 400 explorer front axle removal

2000 polaris explorer 4wd operation
4wd front differential for polaris xplorer 250
how to clean hubs on a polaris explorer
how to remove front coil from 1995 polaris xplorer

how to replace magnetic coil on 250 polaris xplorer front hub

polaris 400 4wd

polaris explorer 400 front hub schematic

polaris explorer front hub diagram

polaris xplorer 400 front hub

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.