Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1100, 129, 137

6K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  skidoo440 
#1 ·
I am looking to buy a na 1100. I want a sled that I can ride 200 to 300 miles a day on back to back days. I have been researching this a lot and have mixed reviews. What can I expect out of the 1100? (f1100/zr5000 progress chassis) I hear it has a good top end, 90+ but accelerates leisurely. Others say it has great grunt from corner to corner. Does having a 137 make it feel more sluggish? I have had three four strokes in the past, rx1le, nytro and a phazer. I actually liked the phazer best except for it could use more power and less engine braking. Except for the phazer you definitely felt the weight after a day of riding. What can this sled be compared to? Currently I drive a 13 snopro 500 and a zr 800efi. Also building a sp440/700. I would get rid of the zr. The sp500 is by far the best sled I have owned. Also have owned some revs, zx, and s chassis ski doos. Cost is a factor as the Yamaha powered cats are a little more than I want to spend. I see a lot of leftover 1100 that are priced right.

#2 ·
I've had an 1100 since the 2012 release. It has about 4-5000 miles on it now... Just recently went thru the sled and rebuilt the clutches and shocks. Other than that, its a great sled. The only gripe I have is its not "tossable" on the trail. It is heavier than 2 strokes, and is more of a cruiser. That being said, the corner to corner "snot" is pretty good, and will hit 85-95 on a lake with ease. It gets up to about 70-75 pretty quick, and then does tend to creep up to max speed, however.

Overall its a great warm sled. I just upgraded to a 2016 6000 LTD 137 and love that sled too, just not as warm (needs a bigger windshield...).

I would go with the 137 if you aren't looking for top speed, as the bump spanning will be better than a 129.

All I've done to mine, besides the rebuilds above, was every year grease it and change the oils (engine and chaincase), and the carbides and hyfax, and ride it. Great reliable sled.

#3 ·
I can speak about the 1100 but not the Pro(whatever) chassis.

The 1100 is a fine motor for trail riding. The acceleration is linear, it's a very easy engine to manage. My wife hates my T660 turbo as the power just rolls on with it but she now loves the TZ1.

It does have a very industrial sound to it, especially in the lower RPMs. At normal trail speed (for me 35 - 45MPH) it smooths out and doesn't bother me at all.

It wont leave you with that "wow" feeling but it does everything pretty well, I like it. If AC kept on with it's production I would consider another.

K

#4 ·
I have the 1st year Jag Z1 ('07) w/ a 121" skid (Cat needed to use up spare parts, so it didn't come w/ the 128 or ACT shocks like advertised). Overall, very happy w/ the ride (Twin Spar), mpg's--15-17, top end 85-90. Is a great trail riding back to back day sled and don't feel beat up when done (UNLESS trails are super moguled up). Started off as my wife's sled, but I rode it 99% of the time and that's even after I bought a '08 F6. When I got my '14 ET, wife wanted my F6, so son took over the Jag. Those 2 don't ride much, so basically they just go for trailer rides. Thought about getting rid/updating the Jag, but it's paid for, rides good and is in good shape (4500 miles). So any updating going forward will be "my" sled or the newest one since if I ride alone, need something that should be the most dependable/least likely to breakdown.

The '07 can be a handful as AP said if pushing it (esp the TS chassis). Did notice that I'll probly have to replace the skid shocks this fall. I forgot completely, but I think everything is orig as fas as belt/clutches. May have had a arm replaced in clutch. Wheel or 2 in skid. Overall very happy w/ it. Change oil in fall wether or not it's ridden previous season or not.......cheap insurance.

#6 ·
If you want a problem free sled I would buy a 2010 or 2011. They have a adjustable seat which I like and dont have no where near the problems as the procross chassis with belts / chains / clutchs/ and China Bearings. The 2015's are better than the earlier years. With all that being said I love the new 7000 series with the Yamaha 3 cylinder 4 stroke. Its the smoothest engine I have ever drove, gets good MPG, and just purrs. If you get a new sled IMO plan or replacing the china bearings in the chain case and its not a easy job either.

#9 ·
Pretty sure I'm going to stir up a **** storm with this comment, but speaking from experience. Had a 2009 F6 Twin Spar 600, and the 1100 NA, and now have a 16 6000 (sold F6). For short drag races up to about 80, they all are pretty even. Depends on traction. If the 6000 gets traction (being a 137") its gone....

Like said above, the sound is the biggest killer on these 4 strokes, with the weight being second....

#11 ·
I have well over 20,000 miles on the 2 1100na's I've owned. 97 Z1EB, and my current '12 f1100. It is in the 600 class power wise, but has the strong 4 stroke torque all the way through. It's deceiving power wise. You think it's barely moving, but look at the speedo, and you're doing 70. They will top out in the 90-95mph area in ideal conditions. I now get 18 to 20 mpg regularly. It started out 15 to 17, and as it passed the 9,000 mark a couple of years ago, the mileage got better. I'd buy another if they still made them. I'll likely keep mine another 2 years, by then it should have around 18,000 miles or so. Never had any bearing issues, never let me down.

Reactions: snowxcrazy1
#14 ·
Yes, as some people know on this site, I am a valve maintenance fanatic. Religiously every 5,000 miles, which for me is every two seasons on average, lately. By the way, each time I did them, it was always needed.

Reactions: OldManBearcat
#17 · (Edited)
Well if you can change a timing belt on a car, this should be no big deal. There are things that have to be perfectly, and I mean perfectly, lined up. If you could find the shop manual online here somewhere it would be helpful, all the 1100's are the same inside, so any year's manual would do. I had some info printed somewhere, but it could be hard to find. Just noticed there is a thread here on the 4 stroke forum with the Z1 manual info.

#20 · (Edited)
I am looking to buy a na 1100. I want a sled that I can ride 200 to 300 miles a day on back to back days. I have been researching this a lot and have mixed reviews. What can I expect out of the 1100.
You made a good choice if you are looking to role up a 200 to 300 mile day. The 1100 sounds a bit industrial at startup but at speed it has a sound that puts one at ease. My 7000 has a exciting sound but it is a bit buzzy. My 7000 sounds faster but it really is not much faster. A bigger windshield will make a 300 mile day feel like a 200 mile day. My Procross chassis demonstrated longevity exceeding most people's requirements. Most 4-stroke engines will last even longer. Good choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.