Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

Z1 coolant bleeding

9K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  guudasitgets 
#1 ·
I am trying to bleed my coolant before a rally tomorrow. I did a tunnel extension, I cut my heat exchanger and moved it further back now I have air in the system (to be expected). I don't have a manual to explain how, but I ran the machine for 5 mins and let it cool then turn the bleed screw between the exhaust manifold. Coolant is coming out but I know there is still air in there because I emptied out the whole rear cooler. Can I bleed it with the engine running? Or keep letting it cool? Tomorrow I will be parking it on a snow bank with the front end in the air as well to see if that helps

#2 ·
Put a floor jack under the front bulkhead and lift it up so water bottle is higher than the rear. Run engine at idle w/ cap loose. Every so often, rev engine a tad but not enough to engage clutches.. If no floor jack, try blocks of wood under the skis. I wouldn't run it out to a snowbank till the system was totally bled, but that's me.

#4 · (Edited)
Just did mine this morning. Had a heat exchanger fixed this week and had it filled and bled just once...so I wanted to bleed it well before actually riding it.

I tilted the clamshell trailer so the nose was up....enabled the deluxe guage to coolant temp...warmed it to 130....turned it off...loosened the "radiator" cap...there was a sucking sound...topped it...took about 10 oz...cooled for 10 minutes...started it with the loose cap up to 140....cooled a bit..topped off about 3-4 oz...cooled..ran it to 150...cooled...it stayed at the top this time. Tightened the cap and rode it.

Ran 30 miles watching the temp....perfect. I added about 14 oz of antifreeze in the process so alot of air purged. Not sure if this is the best method but it worked well for me.

Never needed to do the bleeder screw thing but was going to try that if needed. Use a long funnel with a flexible end if you have one for topping off.

#5 ·
Im sure I didnt need to use the bleed screw either but I did anyways, just to be safe I probably bled off a litre of coolant total (refilling as needed) Sled ran great

#11 · (Edited)

I'm not being a dick, but your joining in Dec of 2016 and with two posts and a reply like that when I just suggested starting a new thread, would you qualify for being a real Richard though? The thread was about bleeding the cooling system. Your reply to a year old thread that was for bleeding the system and not the level of coolant in the bottle, could have been better put in a new thread, thats all I suggested

What would YOU call somebody that didn't read what it said about the coolant level on the side of the bottle or in the owners manual (which by the way you can get online for free https://www-assets.arcticcat.com/content/uploads/2015/02/26122524/2011-Performance.pdf) Hmmmm?

Would have been better just starting a new thread, then your problem is in the header,,,, Or you can use the search tool

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.