4 Strokes Z1 Turbo / Z1 / T660

Old 12-20-2009, 04:10 PM   #1

Great site here glad to find it tons of info.

Like most here I like to do the work myself but I am just stumped! The sled starts and idles just great after warm up and when you go to take off at any speed the engine cuts out like it is not geting fuel but dosent die and takes back off again just like you hit pause for a second and go again. I had got the sled used this past fall it came from Montana.
I have checked:
1. my fuel for water and it is good to go
2. changed my fuel filter
3. adjusting my throttle
4. checked my plugs
5. checked my air box
6. tryed moveing my TPS both ways and still the same problem

Could it be a bad TPS?? where do I start from this point?
apostle is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-20-2009, 05:08 PM   #2

I've had problems with one it would do the same thing just cuts when you start to take off. We went to the fuse box and pulled each fuse and put it back into place started it again and it ran great. Don't know if it reset the mapping on the computer though but it worked.
Snopro1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:14 PM   #3

Have you checked the fuel pickup that is located in the fuel tank? Open the cap and look inside the tank to see if the white filter/pickup is still attached to the bottom of the fuel pump. The hose hose that attaches to the pickup is known to crack and come apart and when the fuel sloshes to the back of the tank on acceleration the sled will cut out. This has been a problem with multiple T660's. Hope this helps.
awd95mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:42 PM   #4

I did not look at the fuel pickup in the tank but with it full to the top one would think it would go??? I have also pulled the fuse's out and checked them and put new ones in also hmm?
apostle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:51 PM   #5

Sled: 2005 t660 turbo- 1994 ext 580
10-11 Mileage:
09-10 Mileage: 3000
08-09 Mileage: 2000
07-08 Mileage: 2000
06-07 Mileage: 2000
ATV: yfz 450
2010 Mileage: n/a
2005 t660 turbo. problem please help.

I just got back from Michigan. My sled ran great the first day but at the end of the day the sled would cut out on me when giving it throttle. I would have to pump the throttle to get it back to the cabin. "really killed my arms doing this" after letting it sit for a while it would be ok for a bit. some times it would run all day and some times 5 mi. seld will always idle fine. please help.
maleugers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:32 PM   #6

Sled: 2000 Powder Special, 2003 4-Stroke Tour
I just had this same issue on my 2003 660 Touring. I started a thread in this section...for me, it was the TSS (Throttle Safety Switch -- search this term and you'll find a couple sticky's on this topic). Engine would start fine, idle, then after driving just a short time, it would cut out...have to pump the throttle to 'catch it' then re-fire and keep going.

I took the throttle assembley on the handle bar apart, then removed the single screw holding the switch in place (for the TSS and Kill), then once the switch was out, I took the switch itself apart and removed the bronze contact for the TSS. Put it all back together (careful -- couple little springs in there!), fired up the sled and problem solved. Kill switch still works as normal.

I don't advocate this as a long term solution (I have the full part on order) but it did solve the issue. I put on about 30 miles the other night with zero hesitation issues.

I looked at all the things you are looking at chasing this issue; it was none of those...

Hope this helps.
Scott
Oldsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldsman For This Useful Post:
maleugers (12-19-2010)
Old 12-15-2010, 07:14 AM   #7
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
Sled: 2004 T660 Turbo Trail
ATV: none
I think Oldsman is right, although I don't agree on disabling the switch to fix the problem. 99% of the time it's just out of adjustment.

Under the hood you will find the throttle cable adjustment mount (or what ever you want to call it). It sits right on top of the engine, right over the intake.

The cable needs to have just a little slack in for the TSS to work properly. What I do is make small adjustments then tap the throttle with my open hand at various angles until I get the adjustment right. Obviously, lock you brake before you start playing with the throttle.

It's not hard. If you find the cable has some slack start by tightening it up a bit, if it seem taught do the opposite.

It's a fairly common problem. If you sled acts like someone turned the switch off when you go to give it the gas that almost definitely your issue.

Oh, and if you find the cable was tight and your idle goes down after adjustment there's a stop screw on the cam the cable connects to. It's not easy to get to but it's the proper way to adjust the idle speed.

K
kopeck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kopeck For This Useful Post:
maleugers (12-19-2010)
Old 12-15-2010, 03:28 PM   #8

Sled: 2000 Powder Special, 2003 4-Stroke Tour
That is solid advice. I inspected mine prior to pulling the swtich and could not find where it was out of adjustment. I'll take another look though and if that's the issue, all the better.
Oldsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:45 PM   #9

thanks

Quote: Originally Posted by Oldsman View Post
I just had this same issue on my 2003 660 Touring. I started a thread in this section...for me, it was the TSS (Throttle Safety Switch -- search this term and you'll find a couple sticky's on this topic). Engine would start fine, idle, then after driving just a short time, it would cut out...have to pump the throttle to 'catch it' then re-fire and keep going.

I took the throttle assembley on the handle bar apart, then removed the single screw holding the switch in place (for the TSS and Kill), then once the switch was out, I took the switch itself apart and removed the bronze contact for the TSS. Put it all back together (careful -- couple little springs in there!), fired up the sled and problem solved. Kill switch still works as normal.

I don't advocate this as a long term solution (I have the full part on order) but it did solve the issue. I put on about 30 miles the other night with zero hesitation issues.

I looked at all the things you are looking at chasing this issue; it was none of those...

Hope this helps.
Scott
Thank you Arctic Chat and Oldsman, this hit it right on the nose. And yes be cafreful with the open kill switch!!!!!!
michgad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:33 PM   #10

Sled: Bearcat 660 Turbo 20"
10-11 Mileage: 2500
09-10 Mileage: 700
08-09 Mileage: 1500
Will try that tomorrow.. same problem here and it is driving me crazy.

Plenty of snow but afraid to go anywhere.

I cut the cables today and will remake them tomorrow to make it home tonight.

Will let you know.
jmartel is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » Arctic Cat Snowmobiles » 4 Strokes

Search tags for this page

2003 arctic cat t660

2003 artic cat t 660 problems

arctic cat 2003 t660 won't restart.

arctic cat t 660 fuel pump problems

arctic cat t660 cuts out on acceleration

ecu t660 problem

have to pump throtle on arctic 660 to get it to go

t660 code reset

t660 problem

throttle adjsmentx

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.